+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship – Program Support Unit

Atextel

Jun 20, 2022
Hello!

Countless cups of tea later, I received an email as I was lowering my head upon plumped pillows to snooze last night. Excitedly I opened it...there was an attachment..!

Through tired eyes I opened the document and waited for the local pigeon to get off the phone line to permit sufficient internet for the missive to load. I gasped in anticipation, my mind racing with what the words might mean for me in just a few seconds time.

I needn't have bothered. Simply said preliminary checks had been completed and it was being referred to the PSU. Quick timeline check, I submitted application in July 2018 and was told a few months later it had been sent to PSU. Latest document was dated 16th December 2019. So, do I need to reset my 24 month clock (which is like really, really boring to watch by the way) or dare my nymph like mind spring into rapturous wonder at possible progress once more?

Thanks for help!

Chutney
Any updates on your case?

katiawithk

Feb 28, 2023
Same here..

1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on May 19, 2021.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 13, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on August 18, 2022.
  4. We sent you a letter on August 18, 2022. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us

Girlgoyle

Mar 2, 2023
As helpful as this thread has been it is also super disheartening. I sent my initial application in over a year ago and just got the "Delay" letter this morning that said they finished their initial review and sent the application on to the Program Support Unit...sounds like, from the thread, that I can wait another 2 years to find out if they will approve or deny my app.

katiawithk

Feb 28, 2023
As helpful as this thread has been it is also super disheartening. I sent my initial application in over a year ago and just got the "Delay" letter this morning that said they finished their initial review and sent the application on to the Program Support Unit...sounds like, from the thread, that I can wait another 2 years to find out if they will approve or deny my app.
That's disheartening.
I sent my initial application 2 years ago (March 2021 from Italy)...I sent mine and my cousins'.
Their application was completed in less than a week: 18 August 22 in process/23 August 22 decision made= received certificates in october 2022.

The difference is that my aunt was Born in Canada to Italian parents. So she is both Italian and Canadian by birthright.
My mother was born in Italy and than moved to BC when she 2. She lived there until 17 years old. She granted Canadian Citizenship when She was 9, in 1967.

I think that the problem is that my cousins are first generation born abroad, for sure. My situation Is quite difference because probably they have to check how my mother granted Citizenship. They have to be sure that She did not Grant Citizenship by descent.

shawnalee400

Mar 9, 2023
I had receive a email 2 weeks ago that program support unit have my application ..howevery today I got a call from the embassy and a email to do a DNA... I payed for the DNA right away just waiting on the appointment I guess

shawnalee400

Mar 9, 2023
Hi question please.. so two weeks ago I received an email that mi case was with program support unit...today I received a call from kingston that I have to do a DNA .. now we already payed for the DNA and was told that the kit will be in kingston jamaica by Monday next week.. what I'll like to know is how long did the high commission take to book your appointment for the DNA sample to be taken? Thank you

shawnalee400

Mar 9, 2023
Got a call from the embassy today request a DNA sample along with a email..
Shawnalee400 said:
Hi question please.. so two weeks ago I received an email that mi case was with program support unit...today I received a call from kingston that I have to do a DNA .. now we already payed for the DNA and was told that the kit will be in kingston jamaica by Monday next week.. what I'll like to know is how long did the high commission take to book your appointment for the DNA sample to be taken? Thank you

shawnalee400

Mar 9, 2023
Got a call from the embassy today request a DNA sample along with a email..
hawnalee400 said:

katiawithk

Feb 28, 2023
Don't lose your Hope.
I went to program support unit at the end of February 2023. And today my application changed to complete and I realized they sent my Citizen certificate.
Application started in March 2021.
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on May 19, 2021.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 13, 2022.
  4. We sent you a letter on August 18, 2022. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  5. We sent your citizenship certificate on March 30, 2023 to: C/O The Canadian Embassy , Rome, Italy, 00001. If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address

Last edited:

shawnalee400

Mar 9, 2023
Don't lose your Hope.
I went to program support unit at the end of February 2023. And today my application changed to complete and I realized they sent my Citizen certificate.
Application started in March 2021.
  4. We sent you a letter on August 18, 2022. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  5. We sent your citizenship certificate on March 30, 2023 to: C/O The Canadian Embassy , Rome, Italy, 00001. If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address
Did the DNA march 29 2023 , got my results on April 05 2023 results was 99.9 % positive , I’m still waiting no updates as yet, I’m wondering if I should request urgent processing as I have been accepted in school presently waiting for my social insurance number to complete the registration.

Sarah F

Jul 27, 2023
Quebec, Canada
Came here to share my story. From the United States, but I'm a Canadian citizen by blood from my father. Applied for Citizenship Certificate (Proof of Citizenship). Here is my IRCC timeline:

Citizenship
1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on April 14, 2022.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on June 17, 2022.
3. We started processing your application on November 29, 2022.
4. We sent you a letter on November 29, 2022. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
5. We sent your citizenship certificate on August 1, 2023

My original birth certificate had an error - my father's country of birth was incorrectly listed. I had it legally changed in the U.S. and provided both the original and corrected versions. I was sent to the Program Support Unit in November, 2022.

After waiting a full 12 months, I contacted my local Member of Parliament and asked them to look into my application since it was over the normal processing time (I'm currently living in Quebec for school and have a study permit, so this service was available for me to use). MP's correspondance with 2 different IRCC agents revealed that it was most likely due to the birth certificate issue. MP's office had me to write a letter of explanation about my birth certificate and sent it to the IRCC on my behalf. 7 weeks after contacting my local MP, my application was complete.

If you're living in Canada and currently have an application, I strongly urge you to contact your local Member of Parliament - the service is free and open to anyone as long as you reside in Canada. I don't know if this made my application be processed quicker, but it definitely eased my anxiety about my application!

Total time from application submission to receiving Citizenship documents: 16 months

shawnalee400

Mar 9, 2023
We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on
June 8, 2021.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 15, 2022.
3. We started processing your application on
August 30, 2022.
4. We sent you a letter on August 30, 2022.
Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
5. We sent your citizenship certificate on August 25, 2023 If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us…

alenabalyeat

Dec 15, 2023
Hello! I am looking for some info from anyone who’s experienced their application being sent to PSU and their timeline.

My mother was born in Canada and carried Canadian citizenship before and after I was born. I applied in July 2023. My application was sent to PSU on December 13, 2023. I have read lots of replies to this thread that have ranged from a few months to 2+ years. I am assuming my application was sent to PSU because I was adopted by my father, who isn’t my biological father. My mother is still legally my mother. I was issued a new birth certificate and SSN with my adoptive name on them in 2011. So I am wondering if anyone else has a similar situation and can tell me how it went for them? Thank you :)

Edit: I was born in the US and have lived here my whole life. I am trying to receive my first generation citizenship to move and live with my soon to be husband.

Sarah F

Jul 27, 2023
Quebec, Canada
Hi! My situation was somewhat similar to yours - I posted my timeline a few posts above. There were issues with my birth certificate and I had to provide both an original and a corrected copy to IRCC, since my father's country of birth was incorrect on the original, and of course that was the only determining factor that made me Canadian!

As for your situation, you said your application was sent to the PSU in December 2023. To give you my timeline, my application was sent to the PSU in late November/December 2022, and I was granted citizenship in August 2023 - it was in PSU about 9 months. In total, it took about 16 months from start to finish, and during 2022, the IRCC normal processing time was only 12 months, so there was a substantial 4 month delay.

Unfortunately, when you provide the IRCC anything that isn't considered a "normal" application, it gets flagged and sent to the PSU no matter what. In my case it was checking the "yes" box on the question about providing an additional birth certificate that wasn't the original.

This may not be the most hopeful answer, but the only thing you can do is wait!! If you know you're a Canadian citizen from your mother, and you've provided all of the information that proves that, then your citizenship will come with time.

As of today, IRCC processing time for this type of application (when it's normal) is 10 months. Keep checking on your application every few months and also keep an eye on the IRCC's normal processing time for citizenship certificates applications as it gets closer to the summer.

Good luck!! :)

alenabalyeat

Dec 15, 2023
coming back with an update!!

On 2/19/2024 my application was APPROVED After being sent to PSU on 12/13/2023. My portal was not updated until 3/08/2024, so I am unsure of when my Certificate was mailed.

What were your next steps? I know to apply for a passport and all of that jazz, but what about a SIN? Where would I need to go to acquire this information?