+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship – Program Support Unit

mnlcva8891

Oct 28, 2018
And No I didn't have a precious citizenship before at all. But I was recognized as a stateless person when I first arrived in Canada
What day did you send your application to Sydney and what day did you receive the email telling you they received your application.

AOR is the email you receive from them telling you they received your application.

Usama1234

May 3, 2019
I sent my application to sydney on January 21, 2019. And I received an email from them telling me they have received my application on March 21, 2019.

Usama1234

May 3, 2019
I am in Saskatchewan. This is the normal time to receive this email in the province because all of my friends used to also wait for 2 months for this email!
Now if you have answers for my questions I will be appreciative. How do I know the reason they send my application to the PSU. And how can I call them to know the reason? I couldn't find any phone number for them that I can call them at!!

Usama1234

May 3, 2019
Wow two months to receive the email? That's a long time.
Now if you have answers for my questions I will be appreciative. How do I know the reason they send my application to the PSU. And how can I call them to know the reason? I couldn't find any phone number for them that I can call them at!!

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
Hello usama! Are u requesting citizenship certificate for yourself or for your kid?
Most of the time, group applicants with minors are sent to PSU.

Usually, if applications are non routine, they send it to PSU. Name change, gender change, inconsistencies in the documents submitted.

If the law applies to your citizenship needs further review.

Immigration official is not convinced on the docs u have submitted.

I think, hawk39 is the best person to address. Very knowledgeable.

If u are in Canada, u might want to try to call them. link below is if application beyond normal processing times but might as well give it a shot. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Fyi. Just to you know, i applied as well for citizenship cert. Received in sydney is dec 18 2018. Acknowledgment of receipt on january 2019. Patiently waiting for update, too.

Last edited:

Usama1234

May 3, 2019
Hello usama? Are u requesting citizenship certificate for yourself or for your kid?
Most of the time, group applicants with minors are sent to PSU.

Usually, if applications are non routine, they send it to PSU. Name change, gender change, inconsistencies in the documents submitted.

If the law applies to your citizenship needs further assistance

Immigration official is not convinced on the docs u have submitted.

I think, hawk39 is the best person to address. Very knowledgeable.

Fyi. Just to you know, i applied as well for citizenship cert. Received in sydney is dec 18. Acknowledgment of receipt on january 28. Patiently waiting for update, too.
In the landing paper I received from the officers in Toronto airport when I just arrived in Canada says that my nationality is Syrian. While the health documents and other documents say that I am a stateless person. Basically, I was a Palestinian refugee in Syria, so I had a permanent residency in Syria and since my country of origin is Palestine, I was not recognized as a citizen in Syria. So when I arrived in Canada, they recognized me as a stateless person even though my landing paper says that my nationality is Syrian.
I am single tho, I don't have kids.
I am confused now, how can I call them to understand the reason my application was sent there? At what number can I call them? Also, do you know how long could it take until they make the final decision at the PSU?

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
Sorry to know that. Maybe because of the discrepancy in the nationality. Im not sure.. Usually it takes 2 years when an application is forwarded to psu. Since u are in canada, Click on the link above and call cic tomorrow. Agents "may" help u with your questions.

Usama1234

May 3, 2019
Hello usama. Alternatively you may want to request gcms notes via below link

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/access-information-privacy/access-information/request-information.html

It will indicate all immigration officials comments[/QUOT
I am so confused about how to request gcms notes. I went to this link. But there is nothing that says request a gcms notes. There is a section that says make a request to access to information for general government records where I need to pay 5$. And another section that says request access to personal information that does need any payment.
Which one do I got for?

Usama1234

May 3, 2019
Hello usama. Alternatively you may want to request gcms notes via below link

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/access-information-privacy/access-information/request-information.html

It will indicate all immigration officials comments
It will indicate all immigration officials comments[/QUOT
I am so confused about how to request gcms notes. I went to this link. But there is nothing that says request a gcms notes. There is a section that says make a request to access to information for general government records where I need to pay 5$. And another section that says request access to personal information that does need any payment.
Which one do I got for?

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
You have to pay $5. "Request for personal information" since you know the "real" status of your personal application.

Atip allows you to have access to gcms notes. You'll see that once you move forward towards the application.