+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship – Program Support Unit

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It will indicate all immigration officials comments[/QUOT
I am so confused about how to request gcms notes. I went to this link. But there is nothing that says request a gcms notes. There is a section that says make a request to access to information for general government records where I need to pay 5$. And another section that says request access to personal information that does need any payment.
Which one do I got for?
Confused why you are applying for PSU. Are you a protected person? PR? Are you already a citizen? Are you trying to apply for citizenship?

Usama1234

May 3, 2019
Confused why you are applying for PSU. Are you a protected person? PR? Are you already a citizen? Are you trying to apply for citizenship?
I haven't applied for PSU. I applied for my citizenship and then they transferred my application to the PSU. I came to Canada as a refugee. And now I am a PR. I am not sure what the term "protected person" mean, but in my university profile, they say that I am a protected person.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I haven't applied for PSU. I applied for my citizenship and then they transferred my application to the PSU. I came to Canada as a refugee. And now I am a PR. I am not sure what the term "protected person" mean, but in my university profile, they say that I am a protected person.
Are you sure? You don’t have citizenship yet so confused as to why you would have been transferred to the proof of citizenship department. This is usually for children of Canadian citizens born abroad or adults trying to get their Canadian citizenship after discovering they can get it through their parents.

Reactions: Rullence

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi
I have sent my application to CPC Sydney on January 2019. And received an email informing me that they received my application by march 2019.
On May 3rd. I received an email saying that my application is sent to the PSU. How can I know the reason my application was sent there?
If I want to call them, how can I call them?
How long might this application take to be processed?
Thanks
Main thing is to appropriately respond to requests or notices from IRCC.

Otherwise, NO need to PANIC. If there is a problem with your citizenship application, IRCC will let you know. If there is a problem which can be fixed, you will have an opportunity to do that.

The discussion about obtaining a copy of your GCMS records is about requesting "your personal information." At this stage there is NO need to do this. That information is NOT likely to reveal why the application was referred to the PSU.

There is not much to be gained by trying to guess why there was a referral to PSU.

If there is a serious issue, the applicant usually knows what it is. So, if you do not know of any reason why there might be a serious problem, that means there is a very good chance there is NOT any serious problem.

Referrals for other types of processing, including the PSU, can range from quality control measures to a wide range of minor issues which IRCC simply needs to sort out for itself.

Again, if there is a problem you need to address, or a problem you can do something about, IRCC will communicate with you about that.

Note that the citizenship application process can take a year or longer. Mostly you WAIT. And while waiting you watch for communications or notices from IRCC. And you respond to those accordingly.

For now, probably best to just wait and see what happens next.

Now if you have answers for my questions I will be appreciative. How do I know the reason they send my application to the PSU. And how can I call them to know the reason? I couldn't find any phone number for them that I can call them at!!
I am so confused about how to request gcms notes. I went to this link. But there is nothing that says request a gcms notes. There is a section that says make a request to access to information for general government records where I need to pay 5$. And another section that says request access to personal information that does need any payment.
In the landing paper I received from the officers in Toronto airport when I just arrived in Canada says that my nationality is Syrian. While the health documents and other documents say that I am a stateless person. Basically, I was a Palestinian refugee in Syria, so I had a permanent residency in Syria and since my country of origin is Palestine, I was not recognized as a citizen in Syria. So when I arrived in Canada, they recognized me as a stateless person even though my landing paper says that my nationality is Syrian.
I am single tho, I don't have kids.
I am confused now, how can I call them to understand the reason my application was sent there? At what number can I call them? Also, do you know how long could it take until they make the final decision at the PSU?

Usama1234

May 3, 2019
Main thing is to appropriately respond to requests or notices from IRCC.

Otherwise, NO need to PANIC. If there is a problem with your citizenship application, IRCC will let you know. If there is a problem which can be fixed, you will have an opportunity to do that.

The discussion about obtaining a copy of your GCMS records is about requesting "your personal information." At this stage there is NO need to do this. That information is NOT likely to reveal why the application was referred to the PSU.

There is not much to be gained by trying to guess why there was a referral to PSU.

If there is a serious issue, the applicant usually knows what it is. So, if you do not know of any reason why there might be a serious problem, that means there is a very good chance there is NOT any serious problem.

Referrals for other types of processing, including the PSU, can range from quality control measures to a wide range of minor issues which IRCC simply needs to sort out for itself.

Again, if there is a problem you need to address, or a problem you can do something about, IRCC will communicate with you about that.

Note that the citizenship application process can take a year or longer. Mostly you WAIT. And while waiting you watch for communications or notices from IRCC. And you respond to those accordingly.

For now, probably best to just wait and see what happens next.
So does that mean that I will need to wait for 24 months!?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
No. Well, at least probably not. But we do not know how long you will have to wait.

Your individual timeline could be just six to eight months. But it could easily go longer, eight to fourteen months seems a big possibility. And it could go longer. So far we are NOT seeing many go longer than 18 months. It has been years since we saw many processing timelines go as long as 24 months.

But the timeline is mostly a GUESS. Your application is now on a non-routine processing track, which makes it even more difficult to guess how long it will take. Some non-routine processing does NOT mean it takes very much longer. Sometimes, some non-routine processing adds a few months, but it can add many months.

We do not know how long routinely processed applications are really taking these days. The spreadsheets (where many applicants are reporting the progress of their application) show timelines all over the chart, from six months to a year and six months. Individual reporting in forum topics shows many applicants still waiting after a year. Last I looked the IRCC website processing times information was still saying 12 months but that is merely a rough estimate based on applications processed in the past.

BUT if you know you were qualified when you applied, and you carefully and correctly completed the application forms and online presence calculator, and submitted the required documents, and otherwise you do not know of any reason why there would be a problem with your application . . . ODDS are very good there is NOTHING to worry about. You just need to WAIT, and while WAITING keep a watch on your regular mail, your email, and your eCas, watching for further communication from IRCC. And then respond accordingly. Like show up for the test event when you get notice of the test and interview.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
You'll need to wait 24 months before you can contact them to make a formal request of investigation. Until then, all they will tell you is that they have your application and that they are still processing it.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
You'll need to wait 24 months before you can contact them to make a formal request of investigation. Until then, all they will tell you is that they have your application and that they are still processing it.
I'm one of those individuals; this is the 21st month for my application since being sent to the PSU.
Appreciate the reporting. However, I wonder if you are referring to proof of citizenship applications rather than applications for grant citizenship.

It appears @Usama1234 posted the query in the wrong topic . . . this topic being about proof of citizenship applications whereas it appears that @Usama1234 is asking about an application for grant citizenship that was referred to PSU.

BY THE WAY:

How do I know the reason they send my application to the PSU. And how can I call them to know the reason?
It occurs to me that grant citizenship applications are usually referred to the PSU when there is some question about the applicant's identity . . . to verify the applicant's identity . . . and as best I can recall is usually about questions related to name changes or date of birth issues.

I hope I am not further confusing you by bringing this up. This does not change what you need to do, which is WAIT to see what IRCC does next. They figure things out better than many give them credit.

Reactions: Usama1234

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
Just wondering. Why are some not being informed that their applications are sent to PSU?

Like in ECAS it just shows something like
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your proof of citizenship application(s) on XXXXXXXXX XX, XXXX

Shouldnt it be updated to no.3 to inform the applicant that a letter was sent?

Usama1234

May 3, 2019
Appreciate the reporting. However, I wonder if you are referring to proof of citizenship applications rather than applications for grant citizenship.

It appears @Usama1234 posted the query in the wrong topic . . . this topic being about proof of citizenship applications whereas it appears that @Usama1234 is asking about an application for grant citizenship that was referred to PSU.

BY THE WAY:

It occurs to me that grant citizenship applications are usually referred to the PSU when there is some question about the applicant's identity . . . to verify the applicant's identity . . . and as best I can recall is usually about questions related to name changes or date of birth issues.

I hope I am not further confusing you by bringing this up. This does not change what you need to do, which is WAIT to see what IRCC does next. They figure things out better than many give them credit.
Yes it is the grant citizenship application. I am sorry I was confused. Now if my citizenship application is sent to the PSU. For Grant citizenship, not proof of citizenship. Why they didn't tell me the reason they sent it there? How can I know the reason instead of guessing? How can I contact them to ask about that? How long might it take until they make the decision if it is a grant citizenship then?

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
@dpenabill the usual reasons why applications are sent to psu regardless whether grant or proof of canadian citizenship is either name change or birth date change, isnt it?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Yes it is the grant citizenship application. I am sorry I was confused. Now if my citizenship application is sent to the PSU. For Grant citizenship, not proof of citizenship. Why they didn't tell me the reason they sent it there? How can I know the reason instead of guessing? How can I contact them to ask about that? How long might it take until they make the decision if it is a grant citizenship then?
You can telephone the help centre call line and try to ask. I do not know if they will provide any useful answer.

Why does not matter much at this stage. IRCC will figure it out. If they need additional information from you, they will ask for it. If there is anything you can do to fix an issue, IRCC will contact you and give you an opportunity to fix it.

I do NOT know that much about the timeline for grant applications referred to PSU. BUT as I previously said, we do not know that much about the timeline for anyone these days . . . six months, a year, 18 months . . . or longer. We just do not know.

There is nothing you can do to make it go faster.

I do not know if the 24 month timeline referenced by @hawk39 applies to grant applications. I doubt it. But the referral to PSU is a non-routine process so it probably means waiting longer . . . and many are now waiting for significantly more than a year, so you may be waiting for a long while to come.

Might as well RELAX and focus on other things in life for now . . . but watching mail, email, and eCas for further communications from IRCC.

@dpenabill the usual reasons why applications are sent to psu regardless whether grant or proof of canadian citizenship is either name change or birth date change, isnt it?
That is my impression but I really do not know much about what the PSU in Sydney is really about.

Usama1234

May 3, 2019
You can telephone the help centre call line and try to ask. I do not know if they will provide any useful answer.

Why does not matter much at this stage. IRCC will figure it out. If they need additional information from you, they will ask for it. If there is anything you can do to fix an issue, IRCC will contact you and give you an opportunity to fix it.

I do NOT know that much about the timeline for grant applications referred to PSU. BUT as I previously said, we do not know that much about the timeline for anyone these days . . . six months, a year, 18 months . . . or longer. We just do not know.

There is nothing you can do to make it go faster.

I do not know if the 24 month timeline referenced by @hawk39 applies to grant applications. I doubt it. But the referral to PSU is a non-routine process so it probably means waiting longer . . . and many are now waiting for significantly more than a year, so you may be waiting for a long while to come.

Might as well RELAX and focus on other things in life for now . . . but watching mail, email, and eCas for further communications from IRCC.

That is my impression but I really do not know much about what the PSU in Sydney is really about.
Thank you so much. The last question I have is that, you mentioned that "since the referral to the PSU is a non-routine process so it means waiting longer"!!. Does that mean that I might need to wait for more than 24 months???

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thank you so much. The last question I have is that, you mentioned that "since the referral to the PSU is a non-routine process so it means waiting longer"!!. Does that mean that I might need to wait for more than 24 months???
I was referring to longer than the routine processing timeline. Last I looked IRCC was still listing 12 months for this.

But as I have emphasized, even that does not mean much. The timeline, even for the most routine applications, varies a lot.

I cannot say for sure it will not take 24 or more months. But my guess is that it will NOT be that long.

I am not sure, but it seems to me that PSU proof of citizenship applications take longer than grant citizenship cases referred to the PSU . . . and while the experience reported by @hawk39 is not unusual, my impression is that even most of those do not take 24 or more months.

It is mostly about waiting patiently.