+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time of PRTD application submitted electronically(by email)-VAC closed-INDIA

Faheem00

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
No. I did not submit the flight ticket. you can apply without a flight ticket for PRTD but in order to get travel authorization document you need to book the flight and provide the proof. if you can wait for VAC to open to get the passport stamped, there is no need to provide the flight ticket.
Hi, hope you doing fine.

I need your assistance once again. Hope you dont mind if i ask you.

Currently i am living in Bahrain and my home country is Pakistan. Now i want to apply for PRTD from bahrain as i have some work left here for atleast another month. Let's say i put current address on PRTD of Bahrain and it got approved. Then they ll ask me to send ticket details within 30 days in order to issue authorization letter.
Now here's come confusion i have, please help me to understand this.

1. Please advise ticket should be within these 30 days time or it could be anytime lets say i book ticket for after 50 days from the day i receive email asking for ticket details.

2. I want to travel from Pakistan to Canada, I m hoping there will be no issues with that.

3. Can i wait for VFS open services in Pakistan to get PRTD stamped on passport.

Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks and Stay safe.

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Thanks for sharing. What did they said on approval. You need to send ticket details within 30 days or wait for vfs to open??
Yes that's exactly what they said. If you have imminent travel within 30 days, we can send the itinerary and obtain a Letter of Authorization to travel. Or we can wait until VAC's are opened, so that we can submit the passport to get the visa counterfoil stamped. Letter of Authorizations would take atleast 2 business days to be processed and emailed.

Faheem00

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
Yes that's exactly what they said. If you have imminent travel within 30 days, we can send the itinerary and obtain a Letter of Authorization to travel. Or we can wait until VAC's are opened, so that we can submit the passport to get the visa counterfoil stamped. Letter of Authorizations would take atleast 2 business days to be processed and emailed.
Thanks for the reply. The reason i am asking actually I also applied yesterday for PRTD. M currently in Bahrain and planning to go bk to my country in two days. I gave my current address of bahrain but once prtd approved can i get visa stamped on passport from home country?

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Thanks for the reply. The reason i am asking actually I also applied yesterday for PRTD. M currently in Bahrain and planning to go bk to my country in two days. I gave my current address of bahrain but once prtd approved can i get visa stamped on passport from home country?
Did you give your original country address in the PRTD application. Because there was a option for present address and there was another option for your residential address if it was different from your present one. So, I guess it should not be an issue as you only need the PRTD approved and Authorization to travel. This is my understanding, as you would not be asked about your address from where you applied etc while traveling. Since this is electronically approved, just this approval can be shown at your home country VFS office while submitting the passport. It shoudn't be an issue.

Faheem00

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
Did you give your original country address in the PRTD application. Because there was a option for present address and there was another option for your residential address if it was different from your present one. So, I guess it should not be an issue as you only need the PRTD approved and Authorization to travel. This is my understanding, as you would not be asked about your address from where you applied etc while traveling.
Yeaaaa i gave my current address of bahrain and mailing address of my home country. That's what I also think it shouldn't be any issues..

ssen11

Jan 11, 2019
FYI, GUYS, My PRTD application got approved today. Once VAC is open near to me, IRCC will send the passport request letter to me to submit the passport at VAC to get it stamped.
there is an option to obtain the travel authorization document by email by submitting the flight detail if you need to travel within 30 days but for that, you need to prove why you need to travel urgently.
Hi @sumitkamboj88 , I am kind of in the same boat. I completed my landing procedure on Feb 2nd 2020 and returned to Seattle on Feb 4th. I was asked to resubmit my photographs on Feb 13th. My photographs were received by concerned office in the 1st week of March. Ever since then, I have not yet heard back from IRCC. Am planning to apply for PRTD. Can you tell me, if we can put any random date for 'date of travel to canada' or do we need to have exact travel plans?

Dee92

Aug 12, 2018
Hey everyone,

Since the flight tickets for the Letter of Authorisation for PRTD holders have some restrictions :
1. No transit in the US (even if you have a valid US visa)
2. Transits allowed, but it should be a single ticket from start to finish
3. Transit time < 12 hours and no overnight layovers in London

Given these restrictions, can you suggest which airlines to book from India - Canada? Thanks in advance..

ssen11

Jan 11, 2019
Hi Guys, I have below queries w.r.t PRTD application:

My situation: I completed my landing procedure on Feb 2nd 2020 and returned to Seattle on Feb 4th. I was asked to resubmit my photographs on Feb 13th. My photographs were received by concerned office in the 1st week of March. The only response I have got from IRCC on my follow ups is that they are still processing photo retakes submitted before Feb 6th 2020 and velocity is low due to Covid-19.
I am therefore planning to apply for a PRTD,however, do not have urgent travel plans. My only intent is to get a valid PR document since I am a landed PR.

My questions:

1) Can I still apply for PRTD and give a future date or any random date as my intended travel date?
2) Do I need to provide flight itinerary or booked flight tickets along with my application?
3) Do i need provide any cover letter describing my situation?

TIA!

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020

My situation: I completed my landing procedure on Feb 2nd 2020 and returned to Seattle on Feb 4th. I was asked to resubmit my photographs on Feb 13th. My photographs were received by concerned office in the 1st week of March. The only response I have got from IRCC on my follow ups is that they are still processing photo retakes submitted before Feb 6th 2020 and velocity is low due to Covid-19.
I am therefore planning to apply for a PRTD,however, do not have urgent travel plans. My only intent is to get a valid PR document since I am a landed PR.

My questions:

1) Can I still apply for PRTD and give a future date or any random date as my intended travel date?
2) Do I need to provide flight itinerary or booked flight tickets along with my application?

TIA!
1. Yes you can apply for a PRTD. I was in same situation as you and you can mention a random date. I gave mine as October 15, 2020.
2. Flight itinerary is not needed. Once after approval, they will ask us to provide flight tickets if you want to travel urgently within 30 days so that a Letter of Authorization will be issued for travel.
3. It depends, I provided a Letter of Explanation with my application to give them a brief understanding. But as per the checklist it is not needed.

Reactions: ssen11

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Hey everyone,

Since the flight tickets for the Letter of Authorisation for PRTD holders have some restrictions :
1. No transit in the US (even if you have a valid US visa)
2. Transits allowed, but it should be a single ticket from start to finish
3. Transit time < 12 hours and no overnight layovers in London

Given these restrictions, can you suggest which airlines to book from India - Canada? Thanks in advance..
I looked at Air India, but the website says tickets sold out for whatever date I enter. Emirates, Etihad are currently operating passenger flights for people with valid entry permits to destination countries. BA, Air France and Lufthansa are also operating under the Air bubble agreements so you can give them a try too. I guess all these airlines have been approved for commercial operations until July 31, 2020. After that we have to wait for further update from our civil aviation ministry.

Reactions: Dee92

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

My questions:

TIA!
There is no point in applying. You can enter via land using your COPR. You are not going to get the prtd without a flight.

jeslinjthomas

Star Member
Jan 13, 2020
Hi, I landed in Canada before Pandemic and got my COPR earlier itself. Didn't get it after 18th-March but before it
May I know how long it will take the PRTD document after sending the tickets. I got PRTD approval one month before.. Will they send the authorization letter after one month of timeline ?

ssen11

Jan 11, 2019
There is no point in applying. You can enter via land using your COPR. You are not going to get the prtd without a flight.
Okay. However, @gokul0989 was in a similar situation as me and applied for PRTD. I have heard is some other forums that travelling via land with COPR can end up in some sort of questioning by border immigration officers. So, I do not want to take that route. Also, I do not have urgent travel plans as of now.