Category........
Visa Office......
New Dehli
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
7.5 over all
Hello I have a quick question

I have applied for student visa for my wife and the start date is sept. 2013. she is pregnant. what are the chances of getting health insurance once we land in Canada. Are we eligible for maternity cover. if not what will be the approximate cost?

Please advice me what to do. your valuable comments are appreciated :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends on your province. Some provinces have first day health care for temporary workers and students and others have a 3 month waiting period and/or do not cover students. Some may cover her as your dependent based on your status. So what is your status? Are you going with her as the spouse or do you have a work permit? Which province will you be located in?

If you have to pay for the birth, I have heard numbers from $3,000 to 10,000 and if there are complications, it may be even more. It is cheaper if she gives birth at home with a midwife.

skyriderking 007

Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Dehli
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
7.5 over all
thanks for your response leon. actually we are going to british columbia. i am going to be her dependent. do you know any insurance companies, may be i can check if she will be covered.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In BC, you will both be eligible for health care after 2-3 months wait. If you arrive this month, you will have health coverage by Nov. 1st. if you arrive in the month of Sept. you will have coverage on Dec. 1st. You can find BC health care here: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/eligible.html

For the waiting period, you should have some type of travel insurance to cover you in case of an accident or emergency. You can buy something in your home country or in Canada.

skyriderking 007

Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Dehli
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
7.5 over all
Thank you very much Leon. the link you have sent is very helpful. Appreciate your timely help.

BARA

Sep 4, 2013
Dear Leon

MY WIFE WILL COME WITH WORK PERMIT TO Lethbridge in Alberta IN 15-9 AND SHE IS pregnant and she will give birth in the mid of December, Is she eligible for AB health card?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BARA said:
Dear Leon

MY WIFE WILL COME WITH WORK PERMIT TO Lethbridge in Alberta IN 15-9 AND SHE IS pregnant and she will give birth in the mid of December, Is she eligible for AB health card?

Yes, she should apply for a health card soon after she arrives.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
goldjay said:
The application of health card takes less than 3 months.
In AB, she will be covered from the first day as she is moving from outside Canada. She will not get the health card instantly but if she has expenses before getting it, she can get a refund.

iamkaori

Star Member
Feb 3, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Vegreville
NOC Code......
Open Work Permit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-10-2013
AOR Received.
24-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
Hi Leon,

I am here in Canada as a visitor and my status will expire on Dec. my port of entry is toronto. i got married last July there and moved here in alberta with my husband last August and will soon apply for open work permit because my husband is working under skilled category. If I will apply for health card here in AB after the approval of my work permit, when will be the start of my coverage? I am now 6 weeks pregnant and was hoping to get AB health card for my ultrasound (its very expensive, my OB told me its $500for the ultrasound alone, with no bloodworks yet) my prenatal checkups and my delivery.

Thanks a lot!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iamkaori said:
Hi Leon,

I am here in Canada as a visitor and my status will expire on Dec. my port of entry is toronto. i got married last July there and moved here in alberta with my husband last August and will soon apply for open work permit because my husband is working under skilled category. If I will apply for health card here in AB after the approval of my work permit, when will be the start of my coverage? I am now 6 weeks pregnant and was hoping to get AB health card for my ultrasound (its very expensive, my OB told me its $500for the ultrasound alone, with no bloodworks yet) my prenatal checkups and my delivery.

Thanks a lot!
As a person moving from outside Canada, you may be able to get instant coverage in AB. Do not apply for your work permit soon, apply for it now. Do not talk to AB health soon, talk to them now. Explain that you are in the process of applying for a work permit based on your husbands permit. It is possible that they will give you coverage right away then, even if they don't, at least it's worth a try. You do not want to be without health care when you are pregnant.

iamkaori

Star Member
Feb 3, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Vegreville
NOC Code......
Open Work Permit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-10-2013
AOR Received.
24-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
Hi Leon,

Thanks so much for your reply.
I really want to apply now for the work permit, however I d'ont have our marriage certificate yet from service ontario. I have applied for it thru online last Aug and per their website i need to wait after 10 weeks after our marriage before i cant ask for the copy plus 15 business days more for the mailing. i was thinking if i can submit our record of marriage solemnization instead and talk to CIC that we will provide them with the cert as soon as we get it in the mail.

i just hope i can apply for it before my visa runs out.
i feel so drained with all of these waiting.

Sashelle

Apr 17, 2018
Hi

I dont know if anyone is going through this right now but i am currently 25 weeks pregnant and I am due to give birth aug 1. Classes begin sept 4th and I would love to have my baby in canada.
Would they turn me back at the port if i am to arrive in July? Or will i be denied a study permit? I have suffienct funds to cover the cost of birth center and midwife

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I dont know if anyone is going through this right now but i am currently 25 weeks pregnant and I am due to give birth aug 1. Classes begin sept 4th and I would love to have my baby in canada.
Would they turn me back at the port if i am to arrive in July? Or will i be denied a study permit? I have suffienct funds to cover the cost of birth center and midwife
Have you applied fo a school yet? Normally a medical exam requires an x-ray which most doctors recommend you avoid until after the birth. Given your due date there will be serious concerns that you are not a genuine student. How do plan on studying with a newborn? Given you are so late in your pregnancy you will likely hav to give birth in a hospital because midwives are in short supply and are booked at the beginning of a pregnancy. A birth would cost approximately 10k. Usually a little less but much more if you have a c-section. Your plan doesn't seem realistic whether you are a genuine student or not.