+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Soft landing from US - After EO

aj4pals

Star Member
Sep 4, 2018
1) if you return on the same day, how do you apply for the PR card?
PR card application is based on officers discretion. As long as they accept your landing you are good. PR card be later requested with IRCC through call or web form as well.
Do you complete ALL the procedures including PR card, applying for SIN etc? Is it a completely safe option to go back to Canada at a later day?
SIN can be done online and delivered to your US address as well. Check the forum for details on SIN.
If your landing formalities are completed , you are good to enter Canada later via land and via air with PRTD

2) Do you have to go with wife/kids if they are included in the application? We all have same expiration CoPR date in Sept 20.
I went with my family. Everyone must land before their COPR expiry. Extension in COPR is still possible but there are lot of new rules are request are coming from IRCC when you are ready to travel. It depends on your situation to make a call if you want to land now or later when everything has settled down.

3) How did you deal with AirBnb booking and cancel if come back the same day? Do you find cancel easy or any trouble in that?
Since you will mostly be traveling with family, Airbnb is better option than a hotel. Cancelling Airbnb costs you service fee and one night fee cost in most cases or 50% fee. So choose wisely when booking.

You can safely land in Seattle border. Its good as well. Lot of successful landing happened in Seattle border. Check this thread with previous successful landing experience.

Let me know if you still have any questions.
Hi,
Can I apply for PR card after soft landing? I asked the officer during soft landing but I was told that I can only apply when I go to Canada to settle. Is it possible to apply for PR card to be sent to a Canadian address while I am in the US?

Reactions: neo00

neo00

Oct 20, 2020
Aj4pals. Thank you so much for the detailed experience report. This is extremely helpful for the rest of us in a similar situation.

The question I have, do you know what it means that you haven't applied for PR? Did the officer explain that to you? I mean how would you be able to return to Canada next time without PR card with you? The COPR will expire, right?

I'm planning to do what you did in 2 weeks.

aj4pals

Star Member
Sep 4, 2018
Aj4pals. Thank you so much for the detailed experience report. This is extremely helpful for the rest of us in a similar situation.

The question I have, do you know what it means that you haven't applied for PR? Did the officer explain that to you? I mean how would you be able to return to Canada next time without PR card with you? The COPR will expire, right?

I'm planning to do what you did in 2 weeks.
It is up to the CBSA officer whether to update our address on file to the Canadian address. It seems during most soft landings lately they are asking to apply for PR card once we move to Canada to settle. That means you can still re-enter Canada via land border in a private vehicle using your passport and you copy of COPR which will be stapled to you passport. If you have to re-enter Canada in a commercial vehicle, you will need to apply for a PRTD which acts like a single entry visa.

vamsikgr

Sep 22, 2019
Guys,

Received PR CARD yesterday
Soft landing : September 08, 2020 via peace bridge

I know few folks started to receive pr cards Whose soft landing in September 2020....

Stay tuned guys !

Kan2020

Mar 4, 2020
Hello All,

Trying to understand if soft landings are still permitted and also if AVR is a viable option for reentering the US (because on an expired visa stamp).

Thank you.

swathy1213

Jan 25, 2019
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Centralized Intake Office,NS
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nil
Nomination.....
Ontario
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2020
Hi,

We are planning to travel from Buffalo to Toronto in a rental car by Nov 2020.

This is what we have learned from other posts. If you have plans to enter Canada and quarantine, then the officer will ask for a Canadian address and he can update the system for PR card. Otherwise, they sign the COPR document. But again, it may depend on the officer. Please correct me if I am wrong.

We are planning to quarantine, apply for SIN and PR card, and come back to USA through AVR after 15 days.

Any thoughts are appreciated since we are still confused :)

Thanks,
Swathy

swathy1213

Jan 25, 2019
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nil
Nomination.....
Ontario
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2020
Guys,

Received PR CARD yesterday
Soft landing : September 08, 2020 via peace bridge

I know few folks started to receive pr cards Whose soft landing in September 2020....

Stay tuned guys !

Hi vamsikgr,

Did you guys quarantine in Canada? Did the officer ask you for a Canadian address?

Thanks
Swathy

BJSING

Oct 21, 2020
LANDED..........
03-13-2022
Hi forum,
I have valid I-20, valid I-94, and new Indian passport. I have expired F1 visa on old passport.
Wife also has expired F1 visa on old passport. She has valid I-797 and I-94 valid until September 2021 and also a new Indian passport like me issued from US last year.
We haven’t left US for past 6 years.
Would we be able to use AVR to cross and return from Canada border?

Last edited:

satatinfy

Oct 14, 2017
Hi All,
I am planning on doing a soft landing from Detroit next week (on friday) as our COPRs expire in Nov and could definitely use some advice on the following questions.
1) Which border - Windsor tunnel, ambasador bridge or port Huron-sarnia is preferable.
2) On GTF forms - is this really needed to be provided right away. as we are planning to just complete the landing at border and turn back right away. or can we ask the officer that we will provide this when we are moving in to settle for good.
3) What will the IMO bucket you as in the form - Settler ? ( even if its just a soft landing) . Is this expected or shd he be bucketing us into a different category ?
4) Is there any advice on what the total amount for your GTF shd be. Can it for example sum upto 40-60k CAD and still be ok ? (I understand that individual items/grouping value shd not be more than 10k each)
5) How do we provision for items that we may plan to buy in future in the gtf forms. For example can i just mention macbook air/ipad without any serial number( as these may be items that I would purchase in future)

This forum has been extremely useful. God Bless. Thanks for any help that you guys can provide.

Kan2020

Mar 4, 2020
Hi,

We are planning to travel from Buffalo to Toronto in a rental car by Nov 2020.

This is what we have learned from other posts. If you have plans to enter Canada and quarantine, then the officer will ask for a Canadian address and he can update the system for PR card. Otherwise, they sign the COPR document. But again, it may depend on the officer. Please correct me if I am wrong.

We are planning to quarantine, apply for SIN and PR card, and come back to USA through AVR after 15 days.

Any thoughts are appreciated since we are still confused :)

Thanks,
Swathy
Hey Swathy,

We are in the same boat. While the AVR option seems viable, we are still a little confused about attempting a soft landing. Would it be OK if we coordinated and shared information about this? We hope to travel around mid November.
Thank you.

Reactions: Cananm

swathy1213

Jan 25, 2019
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nil
Nomination.....
Ontario
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2020
Hey Swathy,

We are in the same boat. While the AVR option seems viable, we are still a little confused about attempting a soft landing. Would it be OK if we coordinated and shared information about this? We hope to travel around mid November.
Thank you.
Hi there,

I am sorry I just saw your message. Sure we can connect. :)My email id is swathys1213@gmail.com.

bhasin

May 14, 2019
Hi all,

I see that some of you soft landed and turned back to the US successfully without quarantine but they did not apply for your PR cards. I am planning to soft land too, but would like to know how we can re-enter Canada if they don't apply for our PR card? Will they approve a PRTD application in our case where we wont have a PR card application in process?

Thanks
Sinduja

Cananm

Mar 7, 2019
Hey Swathy,

Thank you.
Hi Swathy,

I am also in the same boat. I received my COPR in the last week of Oct '20 (for myself, wife and infant) but, my Wife and infant had to travel back to India for some reason and are not coming back to US, until COVID situation resolves.
I am planning to cross the border via Buffalo around Thanks Giving or December 1st week.

Being a primary applicant hope that it, wont be a problem to do a soft landing alone and come back to US on same day (if any member had similar situation with regards to dependent in the past then please do share it).

Safe Travels Swathy! hope you have a smooth experience!
Do share your experience.

Appreciate all for sharing all the valuable info!!

Reactions: swathy1213