+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Soft landing from US - After EO

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
I know a lot of people have been doing soft launch and have been completing it without any issues.

I am currently residing in USA, so I am exempt from ban.
So today morning I called CBSA and asked them if I can so soft launch and the officer on phone said "Hard No. You can't come validate PR and go back to USA."

1) if we can do soft landing using land border from USA?
2) people who are doing soft landing, are they doing at there own risk
3) if I go to border and tell officer that after validating COPR, I want to make a U-turn right away. Can the officer cancel my COPR?

TIA
I'm in the same situation. I stay in the USA and received my COPR. I need to complete my PR process and planning to do a 14-day quarantine entering through the Detroit-Windsor border next week.

1) People are doing soft landing from the USA. However, this would not be a 100% successful case as I heard some people had bad experiences where the officer didn't allow to give Canda address to mail the PR.
2) Yes, that's correct
3) I don't think the officer has the authority to cancel the PR but he might not allow to formally move forward with the landing process or he might accept. It depends on the officer.

usa2canada2021

Nov 11, 2020
Thanks for the reply.
I am okay if the officer doesn't allow to mail the PR. I will drive with signed COPR and apply once I move.

Now my concern is whether I should take the risk by driving 26 hours with a small baby and try soft landing or should I wait till next summer and then apply for extension.
I am okay to make the 26 hours drive to land border, but what if the CBSA officer cancels my COPR on arrival. If the officer says that he doesn't accept my soft landing and asks me to come back at later point, then I am fine to go back at later point.

Does anyone know where CBSA cancelled COPR on canada land border? Because I have been trying to search forums, but couldn't find any.

https://ibb.co/GVdzGDT

Reactions: swan0206

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks for the reply.
I am okay if the officer doesn't allow to mail the PR. I will drive with signed COPR and apply once I move.

Now my concern is whether I should take the risk by driving 26 hours with a small baby and try soft landing or should I wait till next summer and then apply for extension.
I am okay to make the 26 hours drive to land border, but what if the CBSA officer cancels my COPR on arrival. If the officer says that he doesn't accept my soft landing and asks me to come back at later point, then I am fine to go back at later point.

Does anyone know where CBSA cancelled COPR on canada land border? Because I have been trying to search forums, but couldn't find any.

https://ibb.co/GVdzGDT
First point to make clear: "They cannot cancel your COPR. When they ask you the question what is the purpose of your visit, "tell them you want to soft land today" I read few posts where people with infants were given a chance to do soft landing. So , when you answer them the first question, they would either say, you cannot soft land or they can allow you. " So do not worry of any cancellations. They cannot do it.

2nd option: If you are working remote: plan for 14-day quarantine. You can carry all the groceries/clothes/dishes for the 14 day stay. we did that. We rented whole apartment for 14 day stay with a kitchen. So, if possible plan for that. (also if they allow to soft land, you can cancel the airbnb, happily return home). i understand with the baby it might be difficult but my suggestion would be do not go for extension, use it before COPR expires.

All the best and good luck, go for it.

Reactions: Going2Can

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
First point to make clear: "They cannot cancel your COPR. When they ask you the question what is the purpose of your visit, "tell them you want to soft land today" I read few posts where people with infants were given a chance to do soft landing. So , when you answer them the first question, they would either say, you cannot soft land or they can allow you. " So do not worry of any cancellations. They cannot do it.

2nd option: If you are working remote: plan for 14-day quarantine. You can carry all the groceries/clothes/dishes for the 14 day stay. we did that. We rented whole apartment for 14 day stay with a kitchen. So, if possible plan for that. (also if they allow to soft land, you can cancel the airbnb, happily return home). i understand with the baby it might be difficult but my suggestion would be do not go for extension, use it before COPR expires.

Hi swan0206,

Our CoPR expires in Feb next year. Initially, my wife and I have planned to travel by road from the US to Windsor to complete the PR process next week and complete 14-day quarantine, and return back to the US. Our H1B and H4 visas are stamped and valid till 2022. However, I heard that H1B is not considered an essential service and there would be a problem at the US border while traveling through the road. Here are my options, please let me know your thoughts
1) Travel by road as per the plan and complete 14-day quarantine(if they do not agree to soft-land) and return back to the US.
2) Wait till Dec 21st (this 14-day quarantine extends through this date) and see if there would be any changes till January then travel by flight (peak winter season so do not want to take chances by traveling through road) and complete the PR process whatever is the rule at that point of time.

And also could you please share your experience at the US border while returning from Canada. Have you recently traveled?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Y@$h

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi swan0206,

Our CoPR expires in Feb next year. Initially, my wife and I have planned to travel by road from the US to Windsor to complete the PR process next week and complete 14-day quarantine, and return back to the US. Our H1B and H4 visas are stamped and valid till 2022. However, I heard that H1B is not considered an essential service and there would be a problem at the US border while traveling through the road. Here are my options, please let me know your thoughts
1) Travel by road as per the plan and complete 14-day quarantine(if they do not agree to soft-land) and return back to the US.
2) Wait till Dec 21st (this 14-day quarantine extends through this date) and see if there would be any changes till January then travel by flight (peak winter season so do not want to take chances by traveling through road) and complete the PR process whatever is the rule at that point of time.

And also could you please share your experience at the US border while returning from Canada. Have you recently traveled?

Thank you.
Hi,

I did not have a valid visa, but had valid i797 . There was not much of questions, they asked how long was my stay and where do i stay and about my h1. Issued a new i94 and i was left to go. If you are already having stamped visas it would be much easier, You can answer them straight forward. Like you came for your PR landing and completed the process and returning to US. They wouldnt ask you anything about canadian side. They are only concerned about US side and i believe you should be good. Yes, i travelled back to US in October ending , had no issues, pretty smooth.

ps: my landing completed last year.

Reactions: Y@$h

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi swan0206,

However, I heard that H1B is not considered an essential service and there would be a problem at the US border while traveling through the road.
People are travelling to India and coming back, there are no restrictions for H1bs entering US, do not worry on this at all. The restrictions are only on Canadian side and as you are landing, you should be good on that too.

usa2canada2021

Nov 11, 2020

Thanks @swan0206 for your reply. After reading your message, now I feel more confident and I am thinking of completing the soft landing.

Reactions: swan0206

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
People are travelling to India and coming back, there are no restrictions for H1bs entering US, do not worry on this at all. The restrictions are only on Canadian side and as you are landing, you should be good on that too.
Thanks so much for the response.

usa2canada2021

Nov 11, 2020
Hi @peacefulpal,

I agree with swan0206, there should not be any issue for H-1B. I even checked with my company lawyer(Fragomen) and they also confirmed that people on H-1B are good for re-entry. But they did say that H-4 is kind of grey area, as USCIS is not talking about H-4.
But I have not heard a single H-4 having trouble entering in USA after soft landing.

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
Hi @peacefulpal,

I agree with swan0206, there should not be any issue for H-1B. I even checked with my company lawyer(Fragomen) and they also confirmed that people on H-1B are good for re-entry. But they did say that H-4 is kind of grey area, as USCIS is not talking about H-4.
But I have not heard a single H-4 having trouble entering in USA after soft landing.
Hi @usa2canada2021

Yes, I heard success stories from people who recently had completed their soft landing. I didn't come across any posts about the recent experiences of the people who completed 14-day quarantine and returned to the USA. Please share links if you come across any about the same.

After listening to @swan0206 I got confidence - I'll start making hotel bookings once I get confirmation from my Immigration team.

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
Hi, we received copr today and wish to do a soft landing through detroit-windsor border soon. I read through the initial posts made by people where they mentioned to the officers that they are doing it now as they didn't want to wait until winter. I am looking what others we can give as along with copr we got this important document stating that we are not allowed to cross the border. Will be looking for any ideas. Thanks in advance

jokerdurden

Star Member
Jun 10, 2019
Hello All,

I have used AVR and returned to the USA on December 30th flying (Air Canada) from Toronto (Toronto Pearson International Airport) to Boston.

I have an expired F1 visa(expired in 2018) and currently doing my Ph.D.

USA CBP:

The airport is pretty much empty and so there was no one in the line to meet an immigration officer. There are only two counters opened with two officers and I went to the first officer. I greeted the officer and told him that I am coming on an F1 Visa and provided him with my I 20, Old and new passports, and my recent I 94.

While checking my documents, the first officer asked me some questions like below:

What is the purpose of my visit to Canada?
I answered him that I visited Canada to complete my PR landing.

For how long I was staying in Canada?
I told him 3 weeks

Where did I stay in Canada?
I told him that I did my self-quarantine in Toronto for 2 weeks and then after my quarantine, I've stayed with my cousin in Mississauga.

Officer asked me for my boarding pass and returned it back to me.

After that, the officer told me that his scanner is not working and so he asked me to go to the next counter to the second immigration officer.

He took all my documents and handed over them to the second officer and requested him to process my documents.

The second visa officer checked all my documents and asked me some questions as below:

So you are doing your doctorate?

I said yes.

He asked what is the subject area that I am doing my Ph.D. in?
I answered him and he said very nice.

He asked me that in my I20 it is mentioned that I will be graduating in 2022 and so what are my plans after that?

I answered him that I will return to Canada and settle since I am a permanent resident of Canada.

After this, he took my photo and fingerprints, and he stamped my new passports and returned all the documents.

Officer said that I'm good to go now.

I said thank you and wished him a happy new year and left. The whole process took around 5 minutes.

PS: Both the officers was very casual and friendly when asking these questions.

Looks like both the officers are well aware of the AVR process and so they dint ask me any further questions.

After boarding, I landed in the US like a domestic traveler. No more immigration checks in the US as Toronto was a USA Pre-Clearance airport.

Thanks to everyone here from this forum.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I am happy to answer them.

All the best!

Reactions: Going2Can

hopefulnewbie

Star Member
Jun 26, 2020
Hello All,

I have used AVR and returned to the USA on December 30th flying (Air Canada) from Toronto (Toronto Pearson International Airport) to Boston.

I have an expired F1 visa(expired in 2018) and currently doing my Ph.D.

USA CBP:

The airport is pretty much empty and so there was no one in the line to meet an immigration officer. There are only two counters opened with two officers and I went to the first officer. I greeted the officer and told him that I am coming on an F1 Visa and provided him with my I 20, Old and new passports, and my recent I 94.

While checking my documents, the first officer asked me some questions like below:

What is the purpose of my visit to Canada?
I answered him that I visited Canada to complete my PR landing.

For how long I was staying in Canada?
I told him 3 weeks

Where did I stay in Canada?
I told him that I did my self-quarantine in Toronto for 2 weeks and then after my quarantine, I've stayed with my cousin in Mississauga.

Officer asked me for my boarding pass and returned it back to me.

After that, the officer told me that his scanner is not working and so he asked me to go to the next counter to the second immigration officer.

He took all my documents and handed over them to the second officer and requested him to process my documents.

The second visa officer checked all my documents and asked me some questions as below:

So you are doing your doctorate?

I said yes.

He asked what is the subject area that I am doing my Ph.D. in?
I answered him and he said very nice.

He asked me that in my I20 it is mentioned that I will be graduating in 2022 and so what are my plans after that?

I answered him that I will return to Canada and settle since I am a permanent resident of Canada.

After this, he took my photo and fingerprints, and he stamped my new passports and returned all the documents.

Officer said that I'm good to go now.

I said thank you and wished him a happy new year and left. The whole process took around 5 minutes.

PS: Both the officers was very casual and friendly when asking these questions.

Looks like both the officers are well aware of the AVR process and so they dint ask me any further questions.

After boarding, I landed in the US like a domestic traveler. No more immigration checks in the US as Toronto was a USA Pre-Clearance airport.

Thanks to everyone here from this forum.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I am happy to answer them.

All the best!
Hi @jokerdurden

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm in an almost similar situation as you. I just got PPR and waiting for my passport to get stamped and to receive my COPR. I also have an expired F1 since 2018 and doing my Ph.D. here too in the US.

I've been reading about people doing landing from this forum but mostly they are on H1, it's good to finally see someone with an F1 report. I know AVR also apply to F1.

I'm contemplating soft-landing and if I should renew my F1 before coming back or do AVR.

I have some questions for you:
1. You didn't try to renew your F1 in Toronto during your stay? why? because of the embassy closure?
2. Can you share your experience when you arrived at Canada with the cbsa, mainly your landing interview, since you did soft-landing.
3. I didn't know about Pre-Clearance airport. is it only Toronto airport or other provinces cities like Calgary for example have such clearance.
4. Lastly just to confirm, the US CBP interview was at Toronto? (I guess it's clear from your sentence)