+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Soft landing from US - After EO

sidyerra

Jan 12, 2020
Hello all,

I am also seriously considering doing a soft landing via Buffalo/Niagara Falls later this month. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: Y@$h

sidyerra

Jan 12, 2020
Hi all,

I see that some of you soft landed and turned back to the US successfully without quarantine but they did not apply for your PR cards. I am planning to soft land too, but would like to know how we can re-enter Canada if they don't apply for our PR card? Will they approve a PRTD application in our case where we wont have a PR card application in process?

Thanks
Sinduja
I heard that you can cross land borders with your COPR that gets signed at the time of landing.

tile.airpods

Nov 11, 2020
Hi Swathy,

I am also in the same boat. I received my COPR in the last week of Oct '20 (for myself, wife and infant) but, my Wife and infant had to travel back to India for some reason and are not coming back to US, until COVID situation resolves.
I am planning to cross the border via Buffalo around Thanks Giving or December 1st week.

Being a primary applicant hope that it, wont be a problem to do a soft landing alone and come back to US on same day (if any member had similar situation with regards to dependent in the past then please do share it).

Safe Travels Swathy! hope you have a smooth experience!
Do share your experience.

Appreciate all for sharing all the valuable info!!

Hi @Cananm , @swathy1213 -
I was looking at completing my soft-landing soon too, and was hoping I could learn from your experiences.

swathy1213

Jan 25, 2019
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Centralized Intake Office,NS
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nil
Nomination.....
Ontario
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2020
Hi @Cananm , @swathy1213 -
I was looking at completing my soft-landing soon too, and was hoping I could learn from your experiences.
Hi,

I will definitely post my landing experience once I have completed it, hopefully, next week.

usa2canada2021

Nov 11, 2020
Guys,

Thanks for the updates. After looking at so many success stories, I am feeling confident about soft landing.
Few questions....

1) Did anyone do soft landing into Saskatchewan Province from North Dakota? Specifically Portal, North Dakota Border crossing.
2) I got Canada PR using Saskatchewan PNP, is anyone familiar if I can do soft landing in Buffalo, NY and return the same day?

Itsmsk66

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
Hello all,

Is soft landing permitted these days and please let us know if they are shipping the PR card to your temporary Canadian address while landing. Any advise will be good. Iam planning for a soft landing and plan to settle in couple of months.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello all,

Is soft landing permitted these days and please let us know if they are shipping the PR card to your temporary Canadian address while landing. Any advise will be good. Iam planning for a soft landing and plan to settle in couple of months.
The guidance on the IRCC website is still clear not to travel to Canada at this time unless planning to settle. That is the official guidance although having said that some people on here have ‘argued’ their way through a soft landing at a land border making an immediate turnaround back to the US.

Ultimately it is a 50/50 risk given some people reported also being turned back without completing a landing so seems dependant on the CBSA officer and maybe even how busy the crossing happens to be.

As for sending the PR card to a temporary address no way to predict given might have to count self lucky if manage a soft landing against the guidelines, so PR card application would be a bonus especially if turning straight back. If not the latter then there will be 14 days mandatory quarantine.

If taking the airport route then others have reported the main focus is the 14 day isolation plan not whether a soft landing but of course every CBSA experience can be unique. Once someone has landed , followed the isolation plan there is no law that says cannot leave the country although guess might be an issue in landing if someone shouts out they are soft landing and no intention settling straight away.

End of day it’s an individual decision taking into account the restrictions in place due to COVID and there not being any guarantees despite what others May experience

Last edited:

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
Hi All,
I am planning on doing a soft landing from Detroit next week (on friday) as our COPRs expire in Nov and could definitely use some advice on the following questions.
1) Which border - Windsor tunnel, ambasador bridge or port Huron-sarnia is preferable.
2) On GTF forms - is this really needed to be provided right away. as we are planning to just complete the landing at border and turn back right away. or can we ask the officer that we will provide this when we are moving in to settle for good.
3) What will the IMO bucket you as in the form - Settler ? ( even if its just a soft landing) . Is this expected or shd he be bucketing us into a different category ?
4) Is there any advice on what the total amount for your GTF shd be. Can it for example sum upto 40-60k CAD and still be ok ? (I understand that individual items/grouping value shd not be more than 10k each)
5) How do we provision for items that we may plan to buy in future in the gtf forms. For example can i just mention macbook air/ipad without any serial number( as these may be items that I would purchase in future)

This forum has been extremely useful. God Bless. Thanks for any help that you guys can provide.
Hi satatinfy,

Please share your experience once you complete your soft landing.

hjoshi4

Jan 10, 2020
Hi everyone,

Completed my soft landing today at Detroit-Windsor tunnel. Copr is due to expire in December 2020

Officer asked the purpose of travel
Me- to complete my PR landing procedure.
She asked whether I am moving permanently.
Me - I would prefer to return back today. Planning to move permanently in a month or two
Officer - told me to go to the CBSA building and wait.

Officer and I signed the copr and he stapled the signed copy in my passport. He did not allow me to give a Canada address to mail my PR card.

Officer told me that he can only update the address if this was a permanent move.

Open the gate and showed me how to get back in the tunnel back to US

Whole process took 30 minutes tops!

I wanted to know if there is any downside to not be able update address and get PR card when doing a soft landing??
Can I go back and forth from US to Canada as a permanent resident any number of times as long as I have my COPR stapled to the passport?

Any suggestions will be really helpful.

Good luck to everyone

Apr 11, 2019
First, thank you all for sharing your experiences. It is truly very helpful for people like me who are confused.

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate it very very much if anybody can respond;
1. My CoPR was issued prior to March 18, 2020. It expired in May, 2020. I have asked to renew/extend so I can travel in the first week of December, 2020 but it has been over 20 days and still no response. Was anybody able to renew/ectend their CoPR? If yes, how long did it take? OR did anybody travel with an expired CoPR?
2. My H1B visa stamp has expired but have an i797 valid until 2023. My wife is on H4 but her renewal application is still pending. Can we both still return to the US using the AV rule?

I really apppreciate any help. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Apr 11, 2019
I completed my soft landing experience on Nov 20 2020. Everything went well. My detailed experience in https://www.yourcanadapr.com/canada-pr-soft-landing-experience-from-usa/
This is so very helpful. Thanks a lot for sharing.
One quick question; I see you guys used AVR option to return to the US. My spouse’s H4 Visa renewal application is still pending and I have my approval i797. I was wondering if my spouse would be able to return to the US if we both go to Canada.

Your response is much appreciated. Thank you

swathy1213

Jan 25, 2019
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Centralized Intake Office,NS
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nil
Nomination.....
Ontario
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2020
This is so very helpful. Thanks a lot for sharing.
One quick question; I see you guys used AVR option to return to the US. My spouse’s H4 Visa renewal application is still pending and I have my approval i797. I was wondering if my spouse would be able to return to the US if we both go to Canada.

Your response is much appreciated. Thank you
I am sorry. As far as i know, you need to have a valid i94. Since the h4 visa is processed separately, h4 does have a separate i94. In our case,first they went through my husband's docs and then asked for mine.
If i were you, i would wait for it to come and then cross the border.

Reactions: the_masterpiece
Apr 11, 2019
I am sorry. As far as i know, you need to have a valid i94. Since the h4 visa is processed separately, h4 does have a separate i94. In our case,first they went through my husband's docs and then asked for mine.
If i were you, i would wait for it to come and then cross the border.
I really do appreciate your response and yes, it makes perfect sense.
Thanks a lot! Good luck

Reactions: swathy1213

usa2canada2021

Nov 11, 2020
I know a lot of people have been doing soft launch and have been completing it without any issues.

I am currently residing in USA, so I am exempt from ban.
So today morning I called CBSA and asked them if I can so soft launch and the officer on phone said "Hard No. You can't come validate PR and go back to USA."

1) if we can do soft landing using land border from USA?
2) people who are doing soft landing, are they doing at there own risk
3) if I go to border and tell officer that after validating COPR, I want to make a U-turn right away. Can the officer cancel my COPR?

TIA