PR card Expires before the 730 days required

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dalboy1980 said:
Hi Leon

I'll keep it simple and quick, myself and my wife Landed in March 2012, stayed for 3 days and left, now due to family reasons (caring and soe other issues) have been unable to return until we wish to now in March/April 2016, ok so not got enough days......

I know it's the luck of the draw but woudl you recommend avoiding the kiosks? And at POE when asked by Officer to be 100% truthful as to length of absence and why?

We are professionals and would want to come and stay and contribute, but obviously it's our fault and haven't helped by not returning earlier.....I guess this is last chance saloon to start a new life in Canada....any help woudl be most appreciated!

Cheers
Dal (UK)
There is no guarantee using a kiosk that you wont get pulled out of the line-up and go to secondary interview and for some lying has worked and for others telling the truth. I would recommend telling the truth but you should explain your absence as best you can and just hope you wont get reported.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Leon said:
There is no guarantee using a kiosk that you wont get pulled out of the line-up and go to secondary interview and for some lying has worked and for others telling the truth. I would recommend telling the truth but you should explain your absence as best you can and just hope you wont get reported.
Hi Leon

First of all thanks for the prompt and quick reply, i'd read through most of this particular forum and kinda already knew teh answer but hey thought I'd check with you....I don't intend to lie as it's pointless and quite honestly I have nothing to hide, I guess our caring side and dealing with family responsibilities meant we couldn't come back quicker.

I think I'll avoid the kiosk and as they say face the music with the officer and hope they're having a good day.....if I get through I won't be applying for PR until 2 years have passed, I already have my SIN, do you think I'll face any difficulties getting OHIP or D.License.....didn't think I would but thought I'd ask......

Cheers
Dal

Sandhu21

Aug 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
File Transfer...
19-02-2015 (Process Started)
Med's Request
17-03-2015
Med's Done....
31-03-2015, Third Line update- 08 April 2014
Passport Req..
14-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
soon
Hii

in CIC website its mention that

"Residency obligation

you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.''

i wanted to ask is that ---date you became permanent resident is the date of landing?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dalboy1980 said:
I think I'll avoid the kiosk and as they say face the music with the officer and hope they're having a good day.....if I get through I won't be applying for PR until 2 years have passed, I already have my SIN, do you think I'll face any difficulties getting OHIP or D.License.....didn't think I would but thought I'd ask......
Apply for everything before your PR card expires and you should be fine.

Sandhu21 said:
i wanted to ask is that ---date you became permanent resident is the date of landing?
Yes, it is the date of your landing.

Sandhu21

Aug 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
File Transfer...
19-02-2015 (Process Started)
Med's Request
17-03-2015
Med's Done....
31-03-2015, Third Line update- 08 April 2014
Passport Req..
14-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
soon
Leon said:
Apply for everything before your PR card expires and you should be fine.

Yes, it is the date of your landing.
THNX FOR THE REPLY LEON
CHECK INBOX TOO

Immiman

Sep 4, 2008
I did not know about renewal and obligation to stay 730 days . I moved to Canada on 29 April 2011 and left around 16 December 2013 making 597 days and did not get back. Now my PR is over on 22 June 2016

Questions are :-
- If I complete the remaining 133 after my PR card expires say after 22 June 2016 in 5 year window then can I apply for renewal in Canada and get out of country?
-Or if I do not complete 730 days and I enter Canada before my card expires do I have to wait another 2 years to get my card?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Immiman said:
I did not know about renewal and obligation to stay 730 days . I moved to Canada on 29 April 2011 and left around 16 December 2013 making 597 days and did not get back. Now my PR is over on 22 June 2016

Questions are :-
- If I complete the remaining 133 after my PR card expires say after 22 June 2016 in 5 year window then can I apply for renewal in Canada and get out of country?
-Or if I do not complete 730 days and I enter Canada before my card expires do I have to wait another 2 years to get my card?
If all those 597 days were at the beginning of the 5 years period, every day after 29 April 2016 ,you will lose a qualifying day. So, after 22 June 2016 you will have much less than 597 days to start with. I think, from the information you have provided, you are going to have to wait for another 2 years, if you don't get reported when you try to get back to Canada.

RobinKD

Jan 26, 2016
Hi,

I have a question. I got my PR in 2010. I started staying in Canada from 2014 and my PR expired in July 2015. My two years will get over by August end 2016.

My question is can I apply for the renewal of the PR earlier than August, a few months earlier? I will be in Canada itself, but I am thinking of applying early since I want to go out of the country in November. And, if i apply in August, my PR will come by March.

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
RobinKD said:
My question is can I apply for the renewal of the PR earlier than August, a few months earlier? I will be in Canada itself, but I am thinking of applying early since I want to go out of the country in November. And, if i apply in August, my PR will come by March.
If you apply early, the app will be refused and your PR status will be revoked unless you can show serious H&C grounds for retaining it. You need to wait until you actually qualify.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Definitely wait until you have your 730 days in Canada. Applying early will cause your PR status to be investigated because you don't meet the RO. Your application will take forever and they could revoke your PR. This is the price you pay for staying outside Canada too long. You were lucky to keep your PR status but it means you have to wait to renew your PR card.

loma_linda

Star Member
Jul 7, 2014
Can everybody please talk in amount of years not in days so it is not confusing?? I have a question: I landed, then after 1 year I left to go India, then I stay India for 3 years, then come again back to Canada for the remaining 1 year, then will I complete the 730 days / 2 year requirement??? Because I complete thw 1 year in beginning then the remaining 1 year in end??? Please help answerrrr

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
loma_linda said:
Can everybody please talk in amount of years not in days so it is not confusing?? I have a question: I landed, then after 1 year I left to go India, then I stay India for 3 years, then come again back to Canada for the remaining 1 year, then will I complete the 730 days / 2 year requirement??? Because I complete thw 1 year in beginning then the remaining 1 year in end??? Please help answerrrr
We talk in days because CIC calculates in days. You need to figure out the exact number of days and make sure you have at least 730 in Canada from the date that you landed.

loma_linda

Star Member
Jul 7, 2014
I have a question: I landed, then after 1 year I left to go India, then I stay India for 3 years, then come again back to Canada for the remaining 1 year, then will I complete the 730 days / 2 year requirement??? Because I complete thw 1 year in beginning then the remaining 1 year in end??? Please help answerrrr

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
loma_linda said:
I have a question: I landed, then after 1 year I left to go India, then I stay India for 3 years, then come again back to Canada for the remaining 1 year, then will I complete the 730 days / 2 year requirement??? Because I complete thw 1 year in beginning then the remaining 1 year in end??? Please help answerrrr
As long as you only stayed outside Canada for 3 years and not a day longer, you are ok because you have 1 year in the beginning, less than 3 years outside and then 1 year at the end so you have your 2/5 years for that 5 year period. If you stay longer than 3 years, you would not be able to count the first year because it would be impossible for you to meet 2 years in Canada during a 5 year period where you've already spent more than 3 years outside.

However, keep in mind that after you are a PR for more than 5 years, they always look at the past 5 years for the residency obligation. It is not enough that you met it once for the first 5 years and then again for the period of the next 5 years. For example, if you stay for 1 year, leave for 3, then stay for 1, you can not leave again for 1 more year. You always have to make sure you have at least 2 years in Canada in the past 5.

dr-kk

Jun 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Appreciated a lot