Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
nader gamal said:
Hi
I am asking about the new citizenship rules, that I have to stay 4 years out of 6 years to submit for citizenship. is that new law is applicable on old PR holdings? I landed on November 2011 and at that time I received the RO that to spend 2 years out of five for PR renewal and 3 years out of five for citizenship.
the new law about PR renewal and citizenship, how it will work and existing PR holders?
It doesn't matter when you landed. If you have not already applied for citizenship when the new rule took effect, you are now bound by the new rules.

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
thanks Alurra for your reply.

So what about the RO in the new law, I heard it will be 3 years out of 6 to renew the PR. Is that will take effect on me as well, and how?!

I will appreciate if you can brief this new law regulations and who will be affected, so I can understand the full situation.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
nader gamal said:
thanks Alurra for your reply.

So what about the RO in the new law, I heard it will be 3 years out of 6 to renew the PR. Is that will take effect on me as well, and how?!

I will appreciate if you can brief this new law regulations and who will be affected, so I can understand the full situation.

Thanks.
There is no new law related to PR RO. There are new rules regarding citizenship starting next year.

tektek

Apr 7, 2014
Alurra71 said:
It doesn't matter when you landed. If you have not already applied for citizenship when the new rule took effect, you are now bound by the new rules.
This means if you landed 2012 February wich you reached the rules of 3 out of 5 then you supposed to be qualified for citizenship on the month of February 2015 then the new rules of 4 out 6 implement in the of 2015 January, this means that you will not be qualified due to the new rules, because you to wait again another 1 year to qualified for Citizenship as per the new rules. Then the following year again another rules change " you may not know" it becomes 5 out of 6/7 then the same month implemented then again you have to wait for the second time 1 more year. that is Ridiculous, you will never get your citizenship.

I believed the law will be in this case, that if you are covered on the old rules unless otherwise you did passed the 3- 5 years you will still be in 3 out of 5. but as i said if you loose your chance your 3-5 years on the old rules. then maybe the new rules will be applied to you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tektek said:
This means if you landed 2012 February wich you reached the rules of 3 out of 5 then you supposed to be qualified for citizenship on the month of February 2015 then the new rules of 4 out 6 implement in the of 2015 January, this means that you will not be qualified due to the new rules, because you to wait again another 1 year to qualified for Citizenship as per the new rules. Then the following year again another rules change " you may not know" it becomes 5 out of 6/7 then the same month implemented then again you have to wait for the second time 1 more year. that is Ridiculous, you will never get your citizenship.

I believed the law will be in this case, that if you are covered on the old rules unless otherwise you did passed the 3- 5 years you will still be in 3 out of 5. but as i said if you loose your chance your 3-5 years on the old rules. then maybe the new rules will be applied to you.
The new law is not yet in effect and likely will not be in effect until summer of 2015. Whoever is eligible to apply under the old rules before then can do it. Whoever has not yet applied when the new rules take effect will have to apply under the new rules.

Immigration never guarantees that the same rules will be in effect forever. You apply when you are eligible but you can not expect that you will be eligible forever just because you are eligible now.

The new rules are also better for certain people. If you had spent say 2 years in Canada and then left for more than 1 but less than 2 years, under the old rules, you would not be eligible to apply until you spent another 3 years after your absence because otherwise you can not reach 3/4 years. Under the new rules, this person could apply 2 years after returning because they can use the 2 years from their earlier stay.

Kkd

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
ATTN LEON

NOW A DAYS THERE IS A PROVISION TO ENTER CANADA THROUGH PEARSON AIRPORT WHERE THEY HAVE PROVIDED GOOD NUMBER OF KIOSKS. ONE CAN SWIPE HIS PR. CARD AND ENTER CANADA WITHOUT ANY INTERACTIONS WITH IMMIGRATION OFFICERS.

THERE IS THUS NO QUESTION OF EVALUATING YOUR RO AT LEAST AT THIS POINT OF TIME. ANY IDEA HOW DOES THIS WORK?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Kkd said:
ATTN LEON

NOW A DAYS THERE IS A PROVISION TO ENTER CANADA THROUGH PEARSON AIRPORT WHERE THEY HAVE PROVIDED GOOD NUMBER OF KIOSKS. ONE CAN SWIPE HIS PR. CARD AND ENTER CANADA WITHOUT ANY INTERACTIONS WITH IMMIGRATION OFFICERS.

THERE IS THUS NO QUESTION OF EVALUATING YOUR RO AT LEAST AT THIS POINT OF TIME. ANY IDEA HOW DOES THIS WORK?
They can pull you from the kiosk for secondary as easily as any other line. There is still the officer at the end to receive your declaration card, as far as I know so you do have to interact with CBSA.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And some people have told here that they have used the automated kiosks and have been pulled out of the line and still reported so using it doesn't guarantee anything.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
kiosks make it easier for CBSA to track and record your movement. it also calculates if you should be flagged for closer inspection. I would say that kiosks would make it more likely for people to get flagged for closer examination than speaking with a CBSA agent since a CBSA agent is more likely to just "let it go" vs a computerized kiosk which would just always follow whatever criteria it would use to "flag" someone.

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
received on : 10TH NOV, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
hello there,

i became a PR on MAY,2009.... i stayed in canada for 1 month.. then i returned to india.. i was a med school student, so i had to go back.. my course ended in 2014... i returned to canada in 2014 february, before my PR card expired in MAY 2014... but as i had not met the 2 years residency obligation, is there anyway i can apply for a new PR CARD now, or do i have to stay for two years before applying.. i dont mind staying, but, the sad thing is, i cant travel without the PR card.. any help will be appreciated...

thanx,

SAMMY

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sbag_in said:
is there anyway i can apply for a new PR CARD now
No, you cannot apply to renew your PR card until you have been in Canada for 2 years and actually meet the Residency Obligation.

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
received on : 10TH NOV, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
No, you cannot apply to renew your PR card until you have been in Canada for 2 years and actually meet the Residency Obligation.
thanks for the reply... yeah i thought so as well.. anyway what can one do.. rules are rules..

cheers,
SAMMY

kishoreahuja

Nov 5, 2012
urgent help required

hi ,

this is kishore ahuja i got my pr card in nov 2009 and entered canada at that time however due to health issues i had just recovered from an accident i had to go back to india in 15 days. i am now back entered on 20th august 2014 with no problems my daughter has started school in brampton but the catch is that i have to head back for about 2 months to sort out my business and plan to return by nov 11 th my pr expires on dec 3rd 14 i also see that i am not eligible for health benefits since i have not fulfilled the residency obligations as per law am i ok can i re enter for a final time furthermore i was taking care of my father who was in a weak condition for the last 4 years and he has passed away in apr 14 i have a physicians letter to that effect can i apply for pr renewal on human and compassionate grounds ??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: urgent help required

kishoreahuja said:
hi ,

this is kishore ahuja i got my pr card in nov 2009 and since i have not fulfilled the residency obligations as per law am i ok can i re enter for a final time furthermore i was taking care of my father who was in a weak condition for the last 4 years and he has passed away in apr 14 i have a physicians letter to that effect can i apply for pr renewal on human and entered canada at that time however due to health issues i had just recovered from an accident i had to go back to india in 15 days. i am now back entered on 20th august 2014 with no problems my daughter has started school in brampton but the catch is that i have to head back for about 2 months to sort out my business and plan to return by nov 11 th my pr expires on dec 3rd 14 i also see that i am not eligible for health benefits compassionate grounds ??
You can apply for PR renewal based on H&C grounds but you should not expect that you will get a new PR card before Nov. 2014. It will take much longer, especially for a H&C application.

If you leave and your PR card expires while you are outside of Canada, you would have to apply for a travel document. You can do that with H&C reasons too but they may ask you if your father passed in April 2014 and you were already in Canada after that, knowing that you did not meet the RO, why did you leave again.

I would suggest that you not leave Canada at this point but take care of your business through phone, internet or through another person who is there that you trust..

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Leon said:
And some people have told here that they have used the automated kiosks and have been pulled out of the line and still reported so using it doesn't guarantee anything.
Hi Leon

I'll keep it simple and quick, myself and my wife Landed in March 2012, stayed for 3 days and left, now due to family reasons (caring and soe other issues) have been unable to return until we wish to now in March/April 2016, ok so not got enough days......

I know it's the luck of the draw but woudl you recommend avoiding the kiosks? And at POE when asked by Officer to be 100% truthful as to length of absence and why?

We are professionals and would want to come and stay and contribute, but obviously it's our fault and haven't helped by not returning earlier.....I guess this is last chance saloon to start a new life in Canada....any help woudl be most appreciated!

Cheers
Dal (UK)