+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

Shong Lee

Jan 11, 2018
hi guys
in the notice of my hearing date they indicated that if you can not attend this date you need to come after a week (on friday) at noon and you need to explain why you were unable to attend your hearing if the RP member accpeted you reason he migh go ahead with your hearing and you must be prepared. anyone experinced this before becuase as i told you i migh not be able to attend my schedualed hearing day and i can attend the one after a week.
any clues please guys?

Reactions: Jalalcananda

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi guys
in the notice of my hearing date they indicated that if you can not attend this date you need to come after a week (on friday) at noon and you need to explain why you were unable to attend your hearing if the RP member accpeted you reason he migh go ahead with your hearing and you must be prepared. anyone experinced this before becuase as i told you i migh not be able to attend my schedualed hearing day and i can attend the one after a week.
any clues please guys?
Given that this system has a huge waitlist seems highly unlikely that you will get a hearing on the spot. This was written before the huge influx of applicants. In general it is highly unusual to miss a hearing unless someone is in the hospital.

Shong Lee

Jan 11, 2018
Given that this system has a huge waitlist seems highly unlikely that you will get a hearing on the spot. This was written before the huge influx of applicants. In general it is highly unusual to miss a hearing unless someone is in the hospital.
thanks for the reply. yes i will have a surgery on the day of my hearing do you think i will have the chance to prensent my case the following week as they say in the letter?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks for the reply. yes i will have a surgery on the day of my hearing do you think i will have the chance to prensent my case the following week as they say in the letter?
Much easier to change the surgery date. Given the backlog I find it very unlikely that you can get an impromptu hearing date the next week. Why didn't you tell your doctor as soon as you knew there was a conflict with the hearing date? Planned surgery is not a reason to miss your hearing but an emergency and ending up in hospital can't be avoided.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
hi guys
any clues please guys?
The meeting one week after is only for the explanation of your absence and if they accept they would not cancel your case and you will be returned to the waiting list for an unknown period of time. Honestly, Even If I had cancer I would not miss the hearing. My learning of the past year is that DO NOT MISS YOUR HEARING FOR ANY REASON.

Shong Lee

Jan 11, 2018
The meeting one week after is only for the explanation of your absence and if they accept they would not cancel your case and you will be returned to the waiting list for an unknown period of time. Honestly, Even If I had cancer I would not miss the hearing. My learning of the past year is that DO NOT MISS YOUR HEARING FOR ANY REASON.
but in the letter they said if we accpted your absence the RP member might go ahead with your hearing and you must be prepared for that.... what do you think of this dear Jalal and big thank you for your reply and the information you always give on thus forum

Reactions: Jalalcananda

Shong Lee

Jan 11, 2018
Much easier to change the surgery date. Given the backlog I find it very unlikely that you can get an impromptu hearing date the next week. Why didn't you tell your doctor as soon as you knew there was a conflict with the hearing date? Planned surgery is not a reason to miss your hearing but an emergency and ending up in hospital can't be avoided.
unfortunatellly the surgery is unavoidable at all it is case of life and deth. I really wonder what to do!!!!!

SURVIVAL

Star Member
Apr 9, 2017
unfortunatellly the surgery is unavoidable at all it is case of life and deth. I really wonder what to do!!!!!
First you discuss it with Dr. for any possibility of delaying the surgery. If Dr. says the surgery date can't be change, then try to get a letter from the Doctor and also speak to your case officer at IRB. Then take your decision accordingly & wisely brother.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Call your case worker ASAP, provide a medical explanation (particularly is its critical surgery) and have them reschedule. If you don’t let them know now (since you already know you can’t make it) it avoids adding costs to the program and wasting people’s time. A serious medical procedure is suitable grounds to reschedule, provided it really is life and death (or close to it).

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
but in the letter they said if we accpted your absence the RP member might go ahead with your hearing and you must be prepared for that.... what do you think of this dear Jalal and big thank you for your reply and the information you always give on thus forum
Thank you. As I know they will postpone you again until they give you a new time. It can be a few months later but I do not think on the same day.
There are some rules that they can not, in reality, do it. For example interview 60 days after application.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
It is sad to see how vulnerable we are.
They cancel sometimes even the second hearing for something related to judge. I think maybe a small daily life problem.
But we have to even cancel or reschedule important things such as surgeries.
It is not about Canada. All countries treat refugees as half humans.
God bless us and save us asap.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
here is so quiet.
Any news guys?
You have been very lucky compared to many other refugees currently in Canada so you don't have much to complain about. @Shong Lee originally mentioned he had an exam in the US not surgery so not sure what is the correct story. When a surgery date was given it was quite easy to tell the doctor you had a conflict and could it be done another day. It is clearly not an emergency. Hard to call Canadian treatment of refugees as half human when the previous discussion is about getting surgery without being accepted as a refugee.

Reactions: Supercanadian