+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
WOW .. that's just absurd.
we are also from a priority country(Syria)and I thought that the average wait is 5 to 6 months.
We've been waiting since February!
I know few people who are also from priority country and there date was prosponded.but they got approvals/rejection without hearing while waiting for the date
So best of luck

nalax85

Aug 10, 2017
I know few people who are also from priority country and there date was prosponded.but they got approvals/rejection without hearing while waiting for the date
So best of luck
Heard of that too.. but we have an American child, so we might have to go to the court.
Good luck to you too.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The waiting times have increased in all the countries who have had a sudden influx of asylum seekers. Look at all the European countries. Although I understand it may be frustrating it was somewhat expected.

nalax85

Aug 10, 2017
The waiting times have increased in all the countries who have had a sudden influx of asylum seekers. Look at all the European countries. Although I understand it may be frustrating it was somewhat expected.
Sweden and germany were going in order and had an online tool to show people what is the file number they finished updated weekly.

I know families that got a hearing within 3 months and some have been waiting for 10 months. And no its not the security clearance from the CBSA its the mess at the IRB.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Definitely not a consistent process. Rarely consistent processes between provinces in general although immigration is a federal department lots of organizations involved at various levels. Not sure if Germany and Sweden were so organized from the beginning. I am sure they have gotten better over time. They are also dealing with asylum seekers from a few countries in general where as Canada has asylum seekers from all over the world. Not trying to defend the process but think some patience is required. There is lots of blame to go around from lack of government resources to people trying to claim asylum without fear of persecution who clog up the system.

Also to be fair there is no first come first served process for spousal/family sponsorship, express entry (economic migration stream). student visas, etc

Last edited:

Halo14

Aug 19, 2017
Me and our lawyer approached them by calls and written,they are replied officially there's load and they tried the best to reschedule hearing by limited resources, also said have to wait until revived notice from them , Moreover they mentioned if you feal your case priority you have to submit an application according to refugee division rule .

nalax85

Aug 10, 2017
Me and our lawyer approached them by calls and written,they are replied officially there's load and they tried the best to reschedule hearing by limited resources, also said have to wait until revived notice from them , Moreover they mentioned if you feal your case priority you have to submit an application according to refugee division rule .
What application do you have to submit? I would submit any letter they want if it will get the process faster.
what did the lawyer advise you? Just wait?

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
Im from Iraq and I know another family from Iraq being waiting since Aug. 2016, another single guy since 19 months...no timeline and not logic they simply dont follow FIFO, if you postponed then prepare yourself for the worst.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There seems to be a lot of false rumours that you can get asylum quickly in Canada and that everyone gets accepted. The system keeps on being revised because it doesn't process people quickly. The curreny system worked for a while because there were 2/3 less applicants. There are some legacy refugee seekers that have waited over 5 years to be heard and those appealing can be in the system for years. There are 34000 people waiting so it will take some timeto process them and Canada can only absorb so many people every year. We have unfortunately become the asylum destination of preference. Whatever fast tracking that worked in the past most likely won't work now but might as well try.