Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I'm planning to explain what happened on the web form, but I don't know if that'll help my situation. My final transcript came in June 2020 and the application was submitted in September. I have been working unauthorized for 3 months..... That's a long time and I don't really know what to expect :/
Did you apply within 90 days ?
If no, it could be an issue.
What are the exact days ?

NPreti8195

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
Hi guys, I accidentally worked a few times over 20 hours this year because I worked at a grocery store and my shifts were always unreliable. I'm wondering how much trouble this will mean for my pgwp that I'm currently waiting for.

Do they take an average of our hours? And since I was allowed to work full time when they relaxed restrictions for students, how would that work considering I started working up to 27 hours a week in April.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
I applied exactly on the 90th day, but because of the website time difference the application only went through on the morning. So it’s really just a few hours.
That was not a smart move, I'm guessing you received the notification from your school that your studies were completed before June, so technically you were out of status and you should have applied for status restoration when applying for PGWP.

When your study permit expires
Your study permit will expire on the date marked on the permit or 90 days after the day you complete your studies, whichever comes first.
The 90 days begin

• on the date you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) that you completed your program or
  • when you get your degree, diploma or certificate.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/extend-study-permit/when-to-apply.html

Barnana

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
That was not a smart move, I'm guessing you received the notification from your school that your studies were completed before June, so technically you were out of status and you should have applied for status restoration when applying for PGWP.

When your study permit expires
Your study permit will expire on the date marked on the permit or 90 days after the day you complete your studies, whichever comes first.
The 90 days begin

• on the date you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) that you completed your program or
  • when you get your degree, diploma or certificate.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/extend-study-permit/when-to-apply.html
I didn’t receive any notification of completion of studies prior to June. I thought I had 180 days to apply, so the 90/91 day thing is pure coincidence.
I applied in September and I don’t know when I’ll hear back in order to apply for a restoration.

NPreti8195

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
I didn’t receive any notification of completion of studies prior to June. I thought I had 180 days to apply, so the 90/91 day thing is pure coincidence.
I applied in September and I don’t know when I’ll hear back in order to apply for a restoration.
I believe the 180 days refers to the days after graduation, but you need to have valid status in order to apply for your PGWP. Ideally you apply to restore when you apply for your PGWP. I would get in touch with the IRCC and call to enquire about this because I'm not sure what your other options are.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
IRCC is not your personal immigration lawyer, they will not tell you to apply for a restoration, if your study permit was expired when you applied for pgwp, then your pgwp will likely be rejected.

Last edited:

Barnana

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
IRCC is not your personal immigration lawyer, they will not tell you to apply for a restoration, if your study permit was expired when you applied for pgwp, then your pgwp will likely be rejected.
I know they are not my immigration lawyer :)
As I said, I didn’t know I only had 90 days to apply.
Now I will have to wait for the “likely” rejection and see what I’ll do next.

NPreti8195

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
I know they are not my immigration lawyer :)
As I said, I didn’t know I only had 90 days to apply.
Now I will have to wait for the “likely” rejection and see what I’ll do next.
the 90 days deadline has shifted now! You should read the CIC guidelines on what to do because I think they changed it so that now you can apply to restore even past 90 days.

Barnana

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
The thing is that my case is way too complicated
1- I applied in day 91
2- I had a fulltime job before graduation
3- didn’t declare on the application that I did unauthorized work (simply didn’t know)
4- I submitted a letter saying it was all unintentional.

so I don’t know if I should wait for the rejection or if there’s anything that can be done.

Barnana

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
the 90 days deadline has shifted now! You should read the CIC guidelines on what to do because I think they changed it so that now you can apply to restore even past 90 days.

1- I applied in day 91
3- didn’t declare on the application that I did unauthorized work (simply didn’t know)

so I don’t know if I should wait for the rejection or if there’s anything that can be done.

NPreti8195

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
1- I applied in day 91

I think you could submit a LOE for the unauthorised work, and then apply to restore your study permit? It might be best to call a lawyer and get some help on your options.

Barnana

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
I think you could submit a LOE for the unauthorised work, and then apply to restore your study permit? It might be best to call a lawyer and get some help on your options.
Yeah I did submit a LOE for the unauthorized work. I just don't know if I can apply to restore my status when there is a pending PGWP application.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I applied exactly on the 90th day, but because of the website time difference the application only went through on the morning. So it’s really just a few hours.
IRCC can easily reject your application, a few minutes matter too.
Why did you wait so long?