+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Mil.Av

Sep 24, 2020
PGWP Issued 3 years longer than passport expiry!

Hello everyone,

Hope your guys are doing well in this ongoing pandemic situation. Right now, I am very confused to renew my PGWP and I believe that I have to contact IRCC before submitting my application because my case is different.

Here is my situation:

I completed 3 years advanced diploma last year. So, I was completely eligible and got my PGWP last year with 3 years full validity until July 2022 which was longer than my passport validity! And my current passport valid until March 2021!

That time I thought that might be okay and I have to apply again for my PGWP renewal when I will get my new passport because we know the expiry date of the PGWP permit is linked to the expiry on the passport.

So, recently I got my new passport and will apply the PGWP renewal soon. But I am confused when I saw that CIC mention;

• we’ll only issue you a PGWP that’s valid until your passport expires
  • we’ll tell you if you need to extend it to get the full validity
****You can only extend a PGWP if we tell you to.

*But I have full 3 years validity and there are not any remarks that mention I can extend my PGWP!

Here is a couple of points that I figured out:

• If my current PGWP remain valid for 3 years, so I don’t need to apply for an extension! I need to apply for the only TRV in my new passport! As a result, I can save time and money as well!
  • If it will be expiring on the current passport expiry, then how I can apply the renewal without the remark! Should I send an explanation with my application?
Before submitting my application, I am looking for your kind advice, experiences, and opinion to avoid more delays in the current lengthy processing time due to the Covid-19 situation.

I will be really grateful if experienced members give their advice and share experiences to process if anyone had a similar situation.

Kind regards.
Is there anyone in this forum had similar situation?

Ajay. Goyal

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
Do Biometrics help speed up the process? Some of my friends had Biometrics in the system and there PGWP was approved in a month (applied in May). Friends who didn't have biometrics are still waiting.

I have just received a biometrics letter for my TRV and am wondering if it's worth going to Dubai and home quarantining for 2 weeks if that speeds up the process.
Applied inland 15th May
In India currently. Both PGWP and TRV in process
Now, there is no difference between with and without biometrics. Waiting period 197 days.

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
Any applicants from Jan whose PGWP is not approved yet. I have even submitted biometrics. Its has been 255 days for me.
Call them and message them using the online web form. It is way past the expected processing time. Maybe if you remind them everyday for a few days, they will force the application to be processed? Worth a try.

Make sure to call them at 9am eastern time, sharp. This will increase the likelihood of you speaking with an IRCC agent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neerja.k

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Should I call cic before submitting my TRV application to get visa on my new passport? expired/old passport number on my PGWP will make any difference in future?
No need to call just inlcude copies of both passports in the application and explain that you renewed in the letter.

rajpal02

Sep 25, 2020
Call them and message them using the online web form. It is way past the expected processing time. Maybe if you remind them everyday for a few days, they will force the application to be processed? Worth a try.

Make sure to call them at 9am eastern time, sharp. This will increase the likelihood of you speaking with an IRCC agent.
I have tried everything, talking to IRCC agent, contacting IRCC through web form ( 5 times), getting my file checked by MLA. Each time the same answer i.e to app is in process, delay due to corona.

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
I have tried everything, talking to IRCC agent, contacting IRCC through web form ( 5 times), getting my file checked by MLA. Each time the same answer i.e to app is in process, delay due to corona.
Did you consider getting GCMS notes for your application?

If you do not know what GCMS notes are, refer to this link:

Last edited:

rajpal02

Sep 25, 2020
Did you consider getting GCMS notes for your application?

If you do not know what GCMS notes are, refer to this link:
It's the only thing that I haven't tried. Do I need to go to immigration consultant for these notes or can I get them by myself?If yes, what's the procedure.

qasim95

Star Member
Dec 11, 2017
Pakistan
App. Filed.......
26 October 2018
Med's Request
14th November 2018
Med's Done....
19th November 2018
Passport Req..
16 December 2018
Looking at the trends and current processing time , seems like September applicants will be getting pgwp in FEB 2021.

hackerman2020

Sep 2, 2020
Looks like BOWP applicants who applied as recently as April 27 2020 are getting approvals right now. Any late-April PGWP applicants with updates?