+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Hassan17

Apr 2, 2019
Guys I have a quick question..
If you're resubmitting your PGWP application after renewal of expired passport due to fact that your first PGWP was approved only for the validity of your passport which is lesser than the 3 years you're entitled to, do you pay the processing fees all over again?
I honestly could not find info about that, I would call IRCC tomorrow morning and ask

richmond08

Jan 4, 2020
Hello All experts,

My course duration is 8 months. May I get one year of work permit or only same duration of my course?

thanks in advance.
Is your program a 1-year program or exactly 8 months only? I believe the officers base their decision depending on the length of your program. For example, 8 months of study but 1-year length of study = 1 year PGWP but if 8 months of study and the length of program = 8 months of PGWP.

Reactions: arindam.d

LuckyS

Star Member
Aug 9, 2018
Hello Experts,

as my PGWP is taking longer time, its almost 6 months now bt no response and my study permit also expired.. Can i go for flagpoling now??

mhoang

Feb 6, 2020
Saskatchewan
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
Hello Experts,

as my PGWP is taking longer time, its almost 6 months now bt no response and my study permit also expired.. Can i go for flagpoling now??
I believe you can only flagpole if you have never applied for your PGWP. I would suggest calling the IRCC about your case.

richmond08

Jan 4, 2020
Sorry to hear what happened to you, it's so unfortunate!
But good to hear you didn't lose hope and it turned out well. Thank you for sharing your story.

Great advice!
No problem, I hope people would learn from my experience.
Also, thank you! It's just sad that there are people who would take advantage of you for their own gain.

mhoang

Feb 6, 2020
Saskatchewan
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
I called and they said we have to pay again. It is ridiculous as all they have to do is change the date for the expiry of the permit.
It does sucks. But then again it was somewhat your fault for not checking the expiry date on your passport. A new extension always cost you that same amount to extend your study permit and such.

I'm very sorry about your case but I do want to point out such detail. In the end, I think it will all be worth it once you have a stable job. Congrats on finishing your degree and wishing many happy future endeavor to you!

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
It does sucks. But then again it was somewhat your fault for not checking the expiry date on your passport. A new extension always cost you that same amount to extend your study permit and such.

I'm very sorry about your case but I do want to point out such detail. In the end, I think it will all be worth it once you have a stable job. Congrats on finishing your degree and wishing many happy future endeavor to you!
fair enough.. thanks anyways..

Hassan17

Apr 2, 2019
fair enough.. thanks anyways..
I actually had to wait 2 months to extend my passport ( wait for my country's authorities to send to me ), then I applied directly after I received it. I will never forget the stress while waiting for it lol, like it was unexpected and college never told us anything about that... congrats again on your permit and hope you get a good job soon !

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
I actually had to wait 2 months to extend my passport ( wait for my country's authorities to send to me ), then I applied directly after I received it. I will never forget the stress while waiting for it lol, like it was unexpected and college never told us anything about that... congrats again on your permit and hope you get a good job soon !
It was actually for a friend. I got 3 years PGWP. And thanks I've been working full time from September 2019.

Reactions: Hassan17

Nimble

Jan 23, 2020
Hi all. Here's my situation. I came to Canada from the US for a two year masters program. After the program, I applied for PGWP on Oct. 25th (120 days ago) before study permit was up. After study permit ended I went back home to states and lost my implied status (silly me). Now I still have heard nothing from IRCC, nothing since they confirmed my application was received on Oct 25th 2019. I've messaged them through the online portal and they tell me everything is fine and they have all my documents. Thing is according to this forum as well as te check processing times page, they are processing applications sent in well after mine. Since I lost my implied status I can no longer work under the conditions of my study permit and am about to completely run out of money. If anyone is familiar with a situation like this please let me know if there is something I should be doing (or not doing?) or if you could offer any sort of adviuce as to how to deal with this. Thanks.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi all. Here's my situation. I came to Canada from the US for a two year masters program. After the program, I applied for PGWP on Oct. 25th (120 days ago) before study permit was up. After study permit ended I went back home to states and lost my implied status (silly me). Now I still have heard nothing from IRCC, nothing since they confirmed my application was received on Oct 25th 2019. I've messaged them through the online portal and they tell me everything is fine and they have all my documents. Thing is according to this forum as well as te check processing times page, they are processing applications sent in well after mine. Since I lost my implied status I can no longer work under the conditions of my study permit and am about to completely run out of money. If anyone is familiar with a situation like this please let me know if there is something I should be doing (or not doing?) or if you could offer any sort of adviuce as to how to deal with this. Thanks.
Call them

Nosyllek

Nov 24, 2019
Hi, there's a new rule that just came out yesterday from IRCC that may favor your situation if i understood the rule well. You can come back in to Canada if your TRV (not study permit) is still valid. See below

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2020-students-pgwpp.html

Reactions: Kay2018