+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

imb5

Star Member
Jan 1, 2020
my turn to share my story,

I applied for the PGWP on July 18 and got ejected on November 12, 2019 because I forgot to submit my transcript which they requested on November 4, 2019.

I went to my university to seek help with an immigrant agent and she suggested me to apply for restoration of status (200$) and PGWP(255). But I did a research on my own and found out that I had to restore my status as a student there fore I had to add 150$ for study permit holder.so I paid for 255$ for PGWP and 350 for study permit+ restoration.

Note: I put all the forms for the restoration of status in the client information section because I couldn’t apply for restoration of status as a student+PGWP online. That was the only way to do it online

Finally, my application got approved yesterday.
When did you reapply if you don’t mind me asking?

Hassan17

Apr 2, 2019

NAVNII

Jan 6, 2019

NAVNII

Jan 6, 2019
wow that's actually great! pgwp rules have become easier
no but they changed statement from you have been valid study permit at some point during these 180 days " to must hold valid status at the time when you applying for PGWP but confusion is still there , are they considering IMPLIED status as a valid status or not , no explanation about this. and the other thing is this
Within 180 days of the date of applying for the post-graduation work permit, applicants must also meet one of the following criteria:

• They hold a valid study permit.
  • They held a study permit.
  • They were authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to obtain a study permit under paragraphs 188(1)(a) and (b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

NAVNII

Jan 6, 2019
no but they changed statement from you have been valid study permit at some point during these 180 days " to must hold valid status at the time when you applying for PGWP but confusion is still there , are they considering IMPLIED status as a valid status or not , no explanation about this. and the other thing is this
Within 180 days of the date of applying for the post-graduation work permit, applicants must also meet one of the following criteria:

• They hold a valid study permit.
  • They held a study permit.
  • They were authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to obtain a study permit under paragraphs 188(1)(a) and (b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations
The second statement ''They held a study permit '' means your study permit must be valid after you receive final confirmation of graduation from college / uni.Means still they are not considering implied status as a valid status.

NAVNII

Jan 6, 2019
The second statement ''They held a study permit '' means your study permit must be valid after you receive final confirmation of graduation from college / uni.Means still they are not considering implied status as a valid status.
Their rules are not self explanatory, so confusing , can someone explain it ?

Reactions: Hassan17

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
I'm assuming that even on an expired study visa, you can still apply for a pgwp and you don't need a trv to leave and get back to Canada and can continue to work after re-entry

Hassan17

Apr 2, 2019
Hey Guys quick question, My biometrics are valid until 2026, but I made a mistake before I applied, I selected that haven't provided biometrics thinking that I have to provide biometrics everytime I apply for a permit. I am not worried about the fee ($89), I called IRCC and the rep says it's all good cz they will check my UCI and see that biometrics are still valid by forgot to ask if I should submit a web form. what do you guys suggest?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I'm assuming that even on an expired study visa, you can still apply for a pgwp and you don't need a trv to leave and get back to Canada and can continue to work after re-entry
You can't apply without status, if your sp is expired you should have switched to visitor status you can apply with any valid status. You cant come back without TRV, they won't even let you board a flight, going to the US is the only exception. But again avoid going to US if on implied status.

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
You can't apply without status, if your sp is expired you should have switched to visitor status you can apply with any valid status. You cant come back without TRV, they won't even let you board a flight, going to the US is the only exception. But again avoid going to US if on implied status.
I'm sorry, I was trying to explain the new rules on what I understood. I think you misunderstood.