+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

mhoang

Feb 6, 2020
Saskatchewan
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi guys

Having problems with my PGWP now.. wondering if anyone has any ideas on the following situation

I finished school in December, 2019, study permit and visa expired on December 31, 2019. I applied for study permit extension on December 29th, 2019 (before it expired). Got my official transcript and letter from university on January 29, 2020. Applied for PGWP on February 5, 2020 along with a letter of explanation why I am applying for PGWP while being on implied status where I referred to my Study Permit Extension Application.

Is everything correct here? As far as I know I don't need valid study permit when applying for PGWP, I called CIC 100500 times but never got any useful info from them.

Would appreciate any help!
My girlfriend did the same thing. You should not be worried at all. However, once applied for her PGWP, she did the web form to stop the study permit extension application through https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp. Even got her money back for it. Good luck!

mhoang

Feb 6, 2020
Saskatchewan
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
Wondering if you folks could shed some knowledge on this situation.

Applied for my PGWP on the 15th of January, after finishing a 5 year co-op program here in Canada.

Got my biometric request on the 16th of January, asking me to provide biometric data for further processing.

Provided biometrics on the 27th of January, at passport Canada office which is a valid location to provide biometrics.

After providing my biometrics, I was told that everything is done and was provided with a sticker and a biometric ID.

Now, I don't see any update on MyCIC portal even though it's been a week. I've already provided by biometrics, but it says that "action is required" and the biometrics column on the portal is empty. J

Just wondering if this is normal and expected with a PGWP application?
Everything CIC is extremely slow. So I wouldn't be worried about it :) Keep all your receipts, proofs and you are in the green zone. Don't lose any sleep because of this.

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
Hi guys

Having problems with my PGWP now.. wondering if anyone has any ideas on the following situation

I finished school in December, 2019, study permit and visa expired on December 31, 2019. I applied for study permit extension on December 29th, 2019 (before it expired). Got my official transcript and letter from university on January 29, 2020. Applied for PGWP on February 5, 2020 along with a letter of explanation why I am applying for PGWP while being on implied status where I referred to my Study Permit Extension Application.

Is everything correct here? As far as I know I don't need valid study permit when applying for PGWP, I called CIC 100500 times but never got any useful info from them.

Most probably the study permit extension application will be refused on the ground that you are not enrolled in a study term unless you have written a proper explanation .

If your study permit extension is refused, your PGWP application is likely to be refused on the ground that at the time of your PGWP application in Canada you should have a valid study permit . You are allowed to apply from outside Canada without study permit up to 180 days of passing .

Best case scenario now may be to give an explanation in your study permit extension application through web form and clearly state the future PGWP application and the technical reason for the study permit extension . Do also mention that you were still a student till you passed in Jan and enrollment in future terms was not possible after graduation .

It may not be advisable to withdraw the study permit extension application now as it would leave you without any status at the time of filing PGWP . You could apply without the study permit application if you were outside Canada.

Do search these threads / forum for others in your situation to get a better insight.

Last edited:

Anyw

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
Hello Guys,
My PGWP was refused because i applied for it 2 weeks after my study permit expired and I never applied for a visitors isa or restoration of status. I never knew this was an issue until i got the refusal. 90 days have past since my study permit expired so i cant restore my status.
I am in my home country now and I have reapplied for the PGWP.
I want to know who has been in the same situation and what are the chances in home country.

Still within the 180 day period after graduation. Thanks

May I ask, is study permit the same as study visa?

k.karina

Feb 6, 2020
Most probably the study permit extension application will be refused on the ground that you are not enrolled in a study term unless you have written a proper explanation .

If your study permit extension is refused, your PGWP application is likely to be refused on the ground that at the time of your PGWP application in Canada you should have a valid study permit . You are allowed to apply from outside Canada without study permit up to 180 days of passing .

Best case scenario now may be to give an explanation in your study permit extension application through web form and clearly state the future PGWP application and the technical reason for the study permit extension . Do also mention that you were still a student till you passed in Jan and enrollment in future terms was not possible after graduation .

It may not be advisable to withdraw the study permit extension application now as it would leave you without any status at the time of filing PGWP . You could apply without the study permit application if you were outside Canada.

Do search these threads / forum for others in your situation to get a better insight.
Thank you for your reply! I did include LoEs for in both applications. For study permit I explained that I need to apply for PGWP, that my graduation is in February and convocation in June. In PGWP application I said that I applied for study permit and gave reference number of the application. I also paid restoration fee (sent web form with a receipt) for PGWP to be on a safe side in case my study permit will be refused so the officer that processing my PGWP application may restore my status right away (advised by CIC agent)

Reactions: tankarla

Aji11

Dec 7, 2019
PGWP
Applied: November 13th,2019
Reviewed: February 7th, 2020
Approved: February 7th, 2020

Good luck to everyone who is waiting for the decision :)

huyypeter

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
PGWP:
Applied online: Jan 13
Applied at the border, because employer asked for Work permit on Feb 4, Got approved. I have sent the web form to withdraw the online application. It sent me a email stating that the withdrawn process is being done. However, I can't find any information regarding the approval at the border on Feb 4 on my CIC profile yet. Have any one had the same case? when will the decision at border show up on our cic profile?

k.karina

Feb 6, 2020
PGWP:
Applied at the border, because employer asked for Work permit on Feb 4, Got approved. I have sent the web form to withdraw the online application. It sent me a email stating that the withdrawn process is being done. However, I can't find any information regarding the approval at the border on Feb 4 on my CIC profile yet. Have any one had the same case? when will the decision at border show up on our cic profile?
Did you have valid status when flagpoling?

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hi guys

Me in same situation .I also applied PGWP on implied status,along with letter of explanation on 05 feb 2020 , and on 06 feb2020 again called IRCC( 25 th time) for study permit extension application and then they are saying your SP extension application is under quality assurance review so the final decision will come in April 2020 ( 9 months I applied for SP extension in 24 septmber 2019) .and agent saying you cannot work full time until decision is not coming on study permit extension but my lawyer is saying you can work full time .

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
PGWP:
Were you asked why you are flag poling ?