+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

vaibhavvj

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Hi, I just applied for TRV for PGWP with the approval letter. What is the processing time for this as I need to travel to my country soon.

ashucan

Jan 20, 2019
Applied PGWP: May 8
Still waiting as of Oct 18
Applied with spouse on 17th of May 2022 - WP-EXT through GCMS - 18th May 2022. No update till 18th of October 2022.

Applied for Visitor Visa as on 14th September 2022 (within Canada) - Still Waiting decision as of 18th October 2022.

vaibhavvj

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Visitor visa (from inside Canada)

15 days
Paper
39 days
Check processing times - Canada.ca
What documents did u submit?
Are you working, if not what did u choose for purpose of visit.
I chose work as purpose of visit because I'm on open work permit. And the documents were application form, approval letter that I got in my gc key(not physical work permit), passport and photo.

Reactions: ashucan

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I chose work as purpose of visit because I'm on open work permit. And the documents were application form, approval letter that I got in my gc key(not physical work permit), passport and photo.
I submitted the same documents for my TRV. A week later I sent a webform with an employment letter and last pay stub.

vijay_v

Oct 11, 2022
Hi , I got my pgwp approved and the expiry date is April 1 due to the expiry date of my passport. I have renewed my passport now. Can I do flagpole and get the full 3 years of pgwp now? Please advice

daninmotion

Star Member
Apr 22, 2022
Calgary
Category........
WP
Hi , I got my pgwp approved and the expiry date is April 1 due to the expiry date of my passport. I have renewed my passport now. Can I do flagpole and get the full 3 years of pgwp now? Please advice
flagpole really depends on the immigration officer you get, it's a risky thing but you can try.

letellyin

Oct 20, 2022
Hi everyone! I'm in a bit of a pickle:

My study permit expired at the end of August, and I'm just awaiting for my PGWP approval. My concern is that I have a company trip to Mexico on November 11th and I am not sure if I can head over and come back into Canada.

According to the CIC website, it says that as long as you have a valid visa OR eTA that you should be able to come back into Canada while waiting for the PGWP approval. But, a contradicting event happened last month when I drove over to Bellingham, WA. On the way back, the officer warned me that since my study permit expired I should not have been let in (she did not mention anything about eTA and kept pointing out the fact that my study permit expired, and that the WP-EXT letter is not a visa). The officer did let me in eventually, but also noted that she has put a "warning" on my profile for the next officer. So at this point, I am not sure what I am to expect or which to base my decisions on.

Anybody here know of such case, and if so how I can go about getting accurate information?

Applied: Jun 8th
WP-EXT received: Jun 9th
Eligibility review: N/A
Approval: N/A

Last edited:
Reactions: ashucan

wakongah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2022
Hi everyone! I'm in a bit of a pickle:

My study permit expired at the end of August, and I'm just awaiting for my PGWP approval. My concern is that I have a company trip to Mexico on November 11th and I am not sure if I can head over and come back into Canada.

According to the CIC website, it says that as long as you have a valid visa OR eTA that you should be able to come back into Canada while waiting for the PGWP approval. But, a contradicting event happened last month when I drove over to Bellingham, WA. On the way back, the officer warned me that since my study permit expired I should not have been let in (she did not mention anything about eTA and kept pointing out the fact that my study permit expired, and that the WP-EXT letter is not a visa). The officer did let me in eventually, but also noted that she has put a "warning" on my profile for the next officer. So at this point, I am not sure what I am to expect or which to base my decisions on.

Anybody here know of such case, and if so how I can go about getting accurate information?

Applied: Jun 8th
WP-EXT received: Jun 9th
Eligibility review: N/A
Approval: N/A
It’s not clear from your post but do you actually have a valid TRV/eTA? A study/work permit lets you remain in Canada but it’s the visa that allows you to enter Canada. These are not the same things.

TRVs are initially issued with the same validity as your study permit so chances are if your SP is expired your TRV is as well. Applying for a PGWP or even an SP extension doesn’t automatically renew your TRV so if you didn’t renew it separately, it might already be expired and you actually got very lucky that the officer at the border let you in.

Naluca

Mar 21, 2019
Hi everyone,
I really do not know if I would be able to get a pgwp. I studied in KPU and graduated this January. My admission started during the covid-19 period. Recall that most schools went online because of COVID but I already applied for study permit and was waiting for approval. Well the visa was denied but I went ahead to conclude the program. My question is; can I get pgwp? If not how easy will it be for me to get a job offer with my Canadian certificate from outside of Canada?
Your response will be appreciated.
Sopuru.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,
I really do not know if I would be able to get a pgwp. I studied in KPU and graduated this January. My admission started during the covid-19 period. Recall that most schools went online because of COVID but I already applied for study permit and was waiting for approval. Well the visa was denied but I went ahead to conclude the program. My question is; can I get pgwp? If not how easy will it be for me to get a job offer with my Canadian certificate from outside of Canada?
Your response will be appreciated.
Sopuru.
So you graduated in January without a study permit? Did you apply for a PGWP?