+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No I dd not apply. I was told I was not eligible without the study permit.
If you graduated from a program without a study permit, you are not eligible. You don’t meet point 3. Plus if eligible, you needed to apply within 150 days of graduation.

Within 180 days of the date of applying for the post-graduation work permit, applicants must also meet one of the following criteria:

• They hold a valid study permit.
  • They held a study permit.
  • They were authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to obtain a study permit under paragraphs 188(1)(a) and (b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
Why did you study and complete a program without a permit?

Naluca

Mar 21, 2019
Due to the incidence of the COVID, students were allowed to study online while waiting for approval. Hope was that i would be given the permit, remember study permit processing took longer during that period. Unfortunately, the decision of the visa came when the program was almost concluded. I had to wrap it up and get the certificate.

letellyin

Oct 20, 2022
It’s not clear from your post but do you actually have a valid TRV/eTA? A study/work permit lets you remain in Canada but it’s the visa that allows you to enter Canada. These are not the same things.

TRVs are initially issued with the same validity as your study permit so chances are if your SP is expired your TRV is as well. Applying for a PGWP or even an SP extension doesn’t automatically renew your TRV so if you didn’t renew it separately, it might already be expired and you actually got very lucky that the officer at the border let you in.
Thanks for the reply.

My eTA is valid until my passport expires, which is in a few years (flew back and forth to and from S.Korea in July just fine, although this was before my study permit expired). As far as I know, I do not need to apply for a TRV, as I am from a visa-exempt country.

So based on what you are saying, assuming that I am eligible to enter Canada, I'm still not clear whether I am eligible to remain in Canada with the implied status I have (expired study permit, WP-EXT letter, awaiting decision on PGWP application).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Due to the incidence of the COVID, students were allowed to study online while waiting for approval. Hope was that i would be given the permit, remember study permit processing took longer during that period. Unfortunately, the decision of the visa came when the program was almost concluded. I had to wrap it up and get the certificate.
Since you didn’t have a study permit and your are more than 150 days past graduation, unfortunately, you are not eligible for a PGWP.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Is it possible to get a job using my Canadian certificate from outside of Canada?
Your Canadian certificate has no advantage if you don’t have work authorization. Was the program specialized and high demand like in IT?

You need a job offer and your employer needs to file for and pay $1k for a LMIA. The LMIA shows that no Canadian or PR could be hired. Then with LMIA, you apply for a closed work permit. For the permit, you show that you are experienced to do the job. The process can take many months, and few employers go through the process.

Naluca

Mar 21, 2019
Your Canadian certificate has no advantage if you don’t have work authorization. Was the program specialized and high demand like in IT?

You need a job offer and your employer needs to file for and pay $1k for a LMIA. The LMIA shows that no Canadian or PR could be hired. Then with LMIA, you apply for a closed work permit. For the permit, you show that you are experienced to do the job. The process can take many months, and few employers go through the process.
Wao. Thanks for this. I really do appreciate

ashucan

Jan 20, 2019
With dependents, it is taking a lot of time. I am waiting since April 26th.
Correct :rolleyes: I am waiting since May 17th. No updates and it seems the processing is taking ages. However hope to get some result soon. Even applied for visitor visa from within Canada while study permit and student visa was valid, no reply on that too.
Been advised by the IRCC Twitter to not to leave Canada while visitor is under process as it will complicated matters.
Feeling stuck. :(