+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

sam1011

Feb 15, 2019
Hi, I applied for the PGWP on December 19. Today, my status changed/updated to "checking eligibility criteria". Could anybody tell me how long this update is for? I am concerned as some of the people here got their approval without the change in the status. Really, appreciate it for a response.

Jezucilla

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, I applied for the PGWP on December 19. Today, my status changed/updated to "checking eligibility criteria". Could anybody tell me how long this update is for? I am concerned as some of the people here got their approval without the change in the status. Really, appreciate it for a response.
I got that on Friday and I got the permit today. Maybe check again tomorrow, I don’t think it takes too long after you get that update.

sam1011

Feb 15, 2019
I got that on Friday and I got the permit today. Maybe check again tomorrow, I don’t think it takes too long after you get that update.
Thank you so much for your reply. I will check back tomorrow with the hope of a positive response. All the best to you for your future.

baseballfan5

Mar 6, 2019
Hey thanks for your reply!

When you say permit, did they send you an electronic copy of your permit? A few people have said that they dont send out hard copies of work permits in the mail anymore, but nobody has confirmed or denied this?

Thanks dude

sam1011

Feb 15, 2019
Hello,
Just checked my status on the CIC website after posting here a few moments ago. I got my approval too!!
Applied: December 19, 2018
Status update to "Review Eligibility status": March 11, 2019
Final Decision: March 11, 2019
PGWP Validity: March 11, 2022

All the best to everyone waiting for their work permit applications :)

Reactions: Muche and natzetgo

Jezucilla

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hey thanks for your reply!

When you say permit, did they send you an electronic copy of your permit? A few people have said that they dont send out hard copies of work permits in the mail anymore, but nobody has confirmed or denied this?

Thanks dude
No, I just saw that my permit was approved. I don’t think they send you an electronic copy of the permit, I’m pretty sure they will just mail one to my home address. I can let you guys know whenever I get the actual permit.

Reshmi Annie Jose

Jun 24, 2017
Hello,
Just checked my status on the CIC website after posting here a few moments ago. I got my approval too!!
Applied: December 19, 2018
Status update to "Review Eligibility status": March 11, 2019
Final Decision: March 11, 2019
PGWP Validity: March 11, 2022

All the best to everyone waiting for their work permit applications :)
Congrats :)

Reactions: sam1011

sam06

Aug 7, 2017
Update: I spoke to Border Services and IRCC about this and they have said that I will be on implied status and that i can continue working on an unactive SIN. They also told me that they don't provide any document for this and that my receipt for the payment for the PGWP application should be sufficient for any employer. SInce, mine expires on march 31, i am thinking of submitting PGWP another application for safety. I hope this helps.
Oh right thanks alot! Can you tell me which number you called so that I can ask another question I had..that my employer wants me to go to US for meeting. Can I go on the implied status/

Robin1812

Feb 11, 2019
Oh right thanks alot! Can you tell me which number you called so that I can ask another question I had..that my employer wants me to go to US for meeting. Can I go on the implied status/
Since you will be travelling outside of Canada, I would recommend to call Border Services (+1 800-461-9999) , coz they will be the one looking at your passport. Now if your Canadian visa has expired, I don't know how its gonna work because you need visa to come back to canada, once you leave the canadian ground. But if your Canadian Visa is still valid you will be fine. Best of Luck

baseballfan5

Mar 6, 2019
No, I just saw that my permit was approved. I don’t think they send you an electronic copy of the permit, I’m pretty sure they will just mail one to my home address. I can let you guys know whenever I get the actual permit.
Thank you! That would be very helpful if you could. I know a lot of people on here were curious as to the time from Approved in your account to getting physical documents that we can give to our HR departments. Cheers

LinhB

Mar 12, 2019
Hi guys. I applied for pgwp on Jan 8 with my confirmation letter from school that I completed my degree and will officially graduate on Feb. Have not heard back yet but I am quite worried because I saw most people applied with their official transcript. The previous rule only require either the transcript or confirmation letter but the new rule kind of require both. Anyone have previously applied with the letter from school and got pgwp? Just kind of worried. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: madhav.malhotra3089