+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Walecott

Mar 24, 2019
Victoria, BC
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
+1. This process seriously affects my mental well-being now. After I applied for a PGWP, I have found my dream job. I was expecting to get my permit before the WP-ext letter expires. My HR told me I cannot work without a permit or another letter. I raised lots of webforms, and no response. I called IRCC at least 50 times. It is impossible to reach to IRCC in any ways. I somehow convinced my workplace that I can work even the letter expires. But now they said I cannot work after my SIN expires which is at the end of this month. Considering I applied on February 20, there is no way to get my permit sometime this month. Processing time is getting longer every week. If IRCC informed workplaces or provided us another letter, I would not lose my job. This is so annoying. I lost all my motivation already.
Please reach out to your MP to talk to your employer on your behalf

Reactions: zabada

eugmke

Jun 29, 2022
Hey,

I am in the same boat as yours! My eligibility started June 23! Went back to submitted and no updates since! Has been 172 days since I applied!
Raised 2 webforms, no reply yet either!
Tried calling multiple times, but cannot connect to agents! Super frustrating!
Hold on there! I am not losing hope! You shouldn’t either!
I'm not even sure whether they started to review my eligibility. My ghost update was that the status changed to "Application update" from "Submitted". And after logging out and logging in again, the status returned back to "Submitted". I never saw words like eligibility review started.

tubkal

Star Member
Jun 8, 2022
+1. This process seriously affects my mental well-being now. After I applied for a PGWP, I have found my dream job. I was expecting to get my permit before the WP-ext letter expires. My HR told me I cannot work without a permit or another letter. I raised lots of webforms, and no response. I called IRCC at least 50 times. It is impossible to reach to IRCC in any ways. I somehow convinced my workplace that I can work even the letter expires. But now they said I cannot work after my SIN expires which is at the end of this month. Considering I applied on February 20, there is no way to get my permit sometime this month. Processing time is getting longer every week. If IRCC informed workplaces or provided us another letter, I would not lose my job. This is so annoying. I lost all my motivation already.
I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I’m in the same boat than you, and coincidentally HR emailed me today for the 100th time inquiring about my work permit, and it’s so awkward trying to explain our situation.
It would be SO easy for IRCC to add an automated letter for every applicant explaining our maintained status, and explaining that we actually have the right to work to employers (something like an AOR for PR applicants).

I feel you and I’m sorry that you, me and many others feel like our life is in an indefinite hold because of this.

AdmiralGG

Star Member
Jun 2, 2022
Hi, it might be an irrelevant post for this thread. But I really wanted your thoughts on this-

I was a thesis-based master's student in a two-year program. I started in Fall'19, but due to the nature of the research and impact of COVID-19, I was granted an extra semester full scholarship (Fall'21). I had a successful thesis defense in late Fall'21 (December) and completed all the requirements in January'22. I registered for the Winter'22 term, however as I successfully completed all the degree requirements in January'22, my transcript shows that my degree has been granted in January'22 and I exited the program in the same month.

My question is as I technically had only 1 semester part-time (Only Fall'21 since I exited the program on January 22) and only one month in the winter'22 term, will that affect my PGWP approval? I would like to add that, for the Winter'22 term my transcript doesn't even show any courses because I only had to submit the revisions after the thesis defense.

Your thoughts would be highly appreciated!

gaganmultani

Dec 11, 2014
Most students complete their studies in the month of December and apply for PGWP in January hence longer processing times , as soon as they are done with January applications , processing time will be back to normal .

ukuduck

Mar 1, 2022
Hi, it might be an irrelevant post for this thread. But I really wanted your thoughts on this-

I was a thesis-based master's student in a two-year program. I started in Fall'19, but due to the nature of the research and impact of COVID-19, I was granted an extra semester full scholarship (Fall'21). I had a successful thesis defense in late Fall'21 (December) and completed all the requirements in January'22. I registered for the Winter'22 term, however as I successfully completed all the degree requirements in January'22, my transcript shows that my degree has been granted in January'22 and I exited the program in the same month.

My question is as I technically had only 1 semester part-time (Only Fall'21 since I exited the program on January 22) and only one month in the winter'22 term, will that affect my PGWP approval? I would like to add that, for the Winter'22 term my transcript doesn't even show any courses because I only had to submit the revisions after the thesis defence.

Your thoughts would be highly appreciated!
I am in the exact same boat. I only needed winter 2022 for thesis deposit and completion letter processing... However, my completion letter does say that I was enrolled as a full-time student from winter 2020 to fall 2021. So from the paper the officer won't know the winter 2022 part.
My scenario is more complicated than yours because my study permit expired because of the extra thesis processing time before I submitted my PGWP application...

AdmiralGG

Star Member
Jun 2, 2022
I am in the exact same boat. I only needed winter 2022 for thesis deposit and completion letter processing... However, my completion letter does say that I was enrolled as a full-time student from winter 2020 to fall 2021. So from the paper the officer won't know the winter 2022 part.
My scenario is more complicated than yours because my study permit expired because of the extra thesis processing time before I submitted my PGWP application...
Hi I hope these help-

https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/ubc-definitions-immigration-purposes

https://www.sfu.ca/students/isap/explore/enrollment/studying-working/full-time.html

https://umanitoba.ca/sites/default/files/2021-01/ft-status-for-ircc-purposes_final_jan-11-2021_0.pdf

All these links refer that for immigration purpose you just need to register as an active student for thesis based masters or phds to be eligible as a full-time status.

let me know what you think of this!