+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit and Spouse Open Work Permit Extension

deepone

Dec 1, 2018
Hi, I have more or less the same situation but slightly different. I hope I find an answer.

I have my study permit until the end of July 2019. My wife has an open work permit with the same expiry date. My school will be finishing just before Christmas and around mid-January, I will be able to get my letter of graduation to apply PGWP. My wife and I work for the same company. She is full-time, me part-time. The same company is preparing a full-time contact for me these days and I will be applying with my full-time job offer for PGWP once I get my letter from the school. Since my status is changing does my wife have to change her existing open work permit? If so, can we apply together while I am applying for PGWP or is there any other procedure that we have to follow? I am aware of the last three pay slips, but I am already working there would it be enough to show my recent pay slips as part-time?

I will look forward to your advice.

Thank you,
Best.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I have more or less the same situation but slightly different. I hope I find an answer.

I have my study permit until the end of July 2019. My wife has an open work permit with the same expiry date. My school will be finishing just before Christmas and around mid-January, I will be able to get my letter of graduation to apply PGWP. My wife and I work for the same company. She is full-time, me part-time. The same company is preparing a full-time contact for me these days and I will be applying with my full-time job offer for PGWP once I get my letter from the school. Since my status is changing does my wife have to change her existing open work permit? If so, can we apply together while I am applying for PGWP or is there any other procedure that we have to follow? I am aware of the last three pay slips, but I am already working there would it be enough to show my recent pay slips as part-time?

I will look forward to your advice.

Thank you,
Best.
Hi

As long as your job is skilled, your wife can apply for an OWP along with your PGWP.

deepone

Dec 1, 2018
Hi

As long as your job is skilled, your wife can apply for an OWP along with your PGWP.
Thank you for your response. Yes, my job is skilled, type A. Now I have another question since we will be changing our permits. I know I can start working once I apply without waiting for the decision but does she have to stop working or she can continue to her job while we wait for the new permits?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your response. Yes, my job is skilled, type A. Now I have another question since we will be changing our permits. I know I can start working once I apply without waiting for the decision but does she have to stop working or she can continue to her job while we wait for the new permits?
She can continue working.

Reactions: deepone

rashisingh223

Dec 19, 2018
Hi There,
can anyone help me?
I came here on a study permit and my wife on spouse open work permit.
I have completed my study and got a transcript last week and will be graduating on 15th November 2018 (graduation ceremony). my study permit expires on 30th November 2018. the date on the transcript is 14th September 2018.
I have full-time NOC B category job already which is full time so my 3 payslips will be available on 15th November.

my questions are
1) from which day should I count 90 days, like from last day of school or the day I got the transcript, in this case, its 14th September.
2) is it okay to work after u finish and before I apply for PGWP? my study permit is valid till 30 November.
3) can I apply for my post-graduation work permit with spouse open work permit?

THANK YOU in advance.

regards.
you got the answers to your question? I also want to know?

physioindia

Sep 5, 2014
WELL, I APPLIED for MY WORK PERMIT AND LATER AFTER 20 DAYS, I APPLIED FOR HER AND ONCE I RECEIVE MY WORK PERMIT I WILL ATTACH THE WORK PERMIT WITH SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS SUCH AS PAY STUBS AND EMPLOYMENT LETTER ALONG WITH IT SO THAT SHE DOES NOT lose HER STATUS AND CAN REMAIn IN CANADA ON IMPLIED STATUS.

Amirali93

Star Member
Feb 16, 2019
Hi
I have applied for post graduate work permit and I will receive my third paystub on March 17th and my husband’s work permit will expire on March 30th.
Is he eligible to work while we apply for his new permit 13 days before expiry date not a month before??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I have applied for post graduate work permit and I will receive my third paystub on March 17th and my husband’s work permit will expire on March 30th.
Is he eligible to work while we apply for his new permit 13 days before expiry date not a month before??
Would go to a border to get his SOWP or he will have to stop working. Doublecheck what times some borders do work permits.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi
Yes, he would still be eligible to work while waiting for the extension.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Confused. Just realized you don't have PGWP. Your husband won't be elligible to work after March 30th. Will first depend on when you get your PGWP. Would still recommend heading to the border if you do get the PGWP by mid-March.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Confused. Just realized you don't have PGWP. Your husband won't be elligible to work after March 30th. Will first depend on when you get your PGWP. Would still recommend heading to the border if you do get the PGWP by mid-March.
He would still be able to work as long as he applies before his current permit expires.

Reactions: canuck78

Amirali93

Star Member
Feb 16, 2019
I applied for the PGWP on January 22th and have not received it yet. I am currently working as full-time,I receive the third paystub on March 17th. I have heard there is no need to wait for my PGWP, I can apply for my husband’s work permit with just a job offer and three paystubs.

Amirali93

Star Member
Feb 16, 2019
I applied for the PGWP on January 22th and have not received it yet. I am currently working as full-time,I receive the third paystub on March 17th. I have heard there is no need to wait for my PGWP, I can apply for my husband’s work permit with just a job offer and three paystubs.
He would still be able to work as long as he applies before his current permit expires.

chiru1973

Star Member
Jul 15, 2011
Team,

I have few queries regarding extension of spouse OWP:-
1. If I get a job which is of part time with a minimal pay however within type 0-B; can I still apply for extension of spouse's OWP? The employment letter would define the job details and the NOC ,without mentioning part/full time. And 3 pay slips.
2. Can OWP for my spouse be extended and issued at the border by the immigration department,similar to PGWP which was issued to me after I finish my school?

Regards,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Team,

I have few queries regarding extension of spouse OWP:-
1. If I get a job which is of part time with a minimal pay however within type 0-B; can I still apply for extension of spouse's OWP? The employment letter would define the job details and the NOC ,without mentioning part/full time. And 3 pay slips.
2. Can OWP for my spouse be extended and issued at the border by the immigration department,similar to PGWP which was issued to me after I finish my school?

Regards,
1. Yes.

2. In theory, yes. Some CBSA officers turn people away and tell them to apply to IRCC.

Reactions: chiru1973