+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

post-doc researcher work permit

kandarprj

May 19, 2022
@Webb_Hubble I applied for a closed work permit in Dec 2021 for my postdoc position starting in Feb 2022. I am still awaiting response from visa office.

My biometric and medial were completed and approved by Jan 2022.

Can you please let me know what documents you had uploaded during application? Am i missing something or are they just random and slow in picking and approving applications?

Jenny1998

Star Member
Jan 5, 2022
@Webb_Hubble I applied for a closed work permit in Dec 2021 for my postdoc position starting in Feb 2022. I am still awaiting response from visa office.

Can you please let me know what documents you had uploaded during application? Am i missing something or are they just random and slow in picking and approving applications?
How many months now

Webb_Hubble

Apr 26, 2022

first of all the imm1295e application for work permit made outside of canada (if you are applying from outside canada). Then I uploaded the following documents to support my claims in the imm1295e form. these are
1 proof of all activities in the last 10 years. Since I have no work experience, I uploaded my undergrad, masters and phd certificates.
2 employement reference letter from my supervisor. this is similar to a letter of recommendation
3 employer contract. this is your offer letter
4 LMIA exempt proof. for postdoc offer you must have received an LMIA number from your employer university
5 in proof of education I uploaded all certificates starting from secondary school education till phd
6 cover letter explaing my reason for coming to canada. In the cover letter I attached bank statement from last six months and marriage certificate
7 family information form
8 temprary resident visa application form
9 passport information page
10 photo
11 In employment records I simply wrote a cover letter explaining that I was completing my masters and phd and I have not worked anywhere
12 updated CV

if you upload these documents then you are good to go.

Reactions: RajdeepC

SujoyDatta

May 21, 2022
Hello! Have you applied in GSS category or non-GSS? I have applied for LMIA exempted non-GSS closed work permit for a postdoc position on 13th April and biometric has been done on 19th April. It is showing no medical required and the status is showing they are doing background checking. Do you have any clue when to expect the work permit?

Webb_Hubble

Apr 26, 2022
Hello! Have you applied in GSS category or non-GSS? I have applied for LMIA exempted non-GSS closed work permit for a postdoc position on 13th April and biometric has been done on 19th April. It is showing no medical required and the status is showing they are doing background checking. Do you have any clue when to expect the work permit?
Maybe in 1 month u shd get work permit. processing speed has increased in the last few weeks.

Reactions: SujoyDatta
Apr 9, 2022
I got a postdoctoral offer from University of Ottawa. I applied for a work permit on April 26, 2022, and gave my biometrics on April 29, 2022. I have to join them there before October. Will I get a work permit before the said time?

SujoyDatta

May 21, 2022
I got a postdoctoral offer from University of Ottawa. I applied for a work permit on April 26, 2022, and gave my biometrics on April 29, 2022. I have to join them there before October. Will I get a work permit before the said time?
I know two persons who get their work permits recently. They have applied in March. Have the authority asked you for any medical test? I have applied on 13th April and they have not asked for any medical exam. Whereas, both of these fellows were asked for medical test.

Apr 9, 2022
I know two persons who get their work permits recently. They have applied in March. Have the authority asked you for any medical test? I have applied on 13th April and they have not asked for any medical exam. Whereas, both of these fellows were asked for medical test.
They did not ask for any medical test

CHN2698

Jun 30, 2022
Hey, all, I just wanted to share the timeline of my post-doc work permit application and hope someone could give a clue about whether a passport requirement letter can be expected in the following 2-3 weeks. My application country is Japan, and the immigration office should be Manila according to IRCC. Anyways, here is my processing timeline so far:
  1. March 9, 2022, applied online/date received (processing time for Japan was 11 weeks at the time of application)
  2. March 14, 2022, biometric completed (after this, no update but the processing time increased to 13-15 weeks, varied weekly)
  3. June 7, 2022, too frustrated, so I submitted a webform to explain my situation and request an update.
  4. June 8, 2022, received an auto-reply from IRCC in response to my web form request (saying they are experiencing a high volume of requests...so be patient).
  5. June 12, 2022, a Sunday afternoon, I received a ghost update (status changed from submitted to in progress)
  6. June 14, 2022, IRCC sent me a requirement letter asking for additional documents (police certificate) (Sadly, the processing time in Japan increased to 20 weeks)
  7. June 29, 2022, submitted the additional document but have not yet received a confirmation letter from IRCC (15 weeks have passed since the online application).
I think the Medical exam is not needed in my case as Japan is a country that does not require mandatory IME. Also, I noticed that now my
Review of eligibility changed from "we are processing...." to "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements."
Does this mean I may expect a passport requirement letter after processing the additional documents? Or I have to wait until it passes the 21 weeks processing time...any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Jul 30, 2022
Anyone from Pakistan who recently submitted or got an acceptance on a postdoctoral work permit application? Please share your timeline.
Thanks.

TriciaO

Oct 27, 2022
Hello Sujoy,
Please, I am writing to confirm if you were eventually asked for the medical exams or you did not need it? Have you received your work permit?

beenish001

Jan 17, 2020
I submitted my application on 2021-11-17 and got it approved on 2022-01-12, two days after calling them, though they always say that calling them doesn't speed up the processing. I explained that my application was very simple and that it should not have taken long to review. Maybe that helped.
At which number you called I dont find any number to contact them