+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

anksyahoo

May 4, 2020
As per the article, newer post-pandemic hires (to clear the backlog) will be the first to be laid off. Wouldn't be surprised if the processing time climbs to 36 months.
yeah thats what "seniority" means :). Many of those who are at strike might be in line if the cuts are done. This will add to more and more delays because of less workers since they have to let go 2 new hires instead of 1 senior member if you take into account salary differences.
Just my thought. Not sure how lay offs work in govt sec with union backing.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
You're up in your feels about people wanting livable wages?! Really?!
Here’s the thing though.

it’s not a 4.5% hike they want. It’s much more.

They want to work from home. That’s a savings for the worker as they don’t need to commute to work, which is costly.

The percentage of space in their home is now a tax deductible cost. So are the utilities such as hydro, phone line, internet, home insurance.

The savings alone could be in the thousands, for each employee. And they want a pay increase on top? To me it sounds like they want to eat the cake and keep it. Sadly that’s not how it works.

I don’t know where you got the $54,500 number from. Looking at their career page (i.e. job openings) a senior immigration officer makes between $71,000 and $77,000. A student bridging officer can make between $45,000 and $140,000. That’s not a typo in the upper number.

Source:
https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page2440?classificationInfos=&locationsFilter=&selectionProcessNumber=&officialLanguage=&title=&tab=1&search=Search jobs&department=66&departments=&log=false

Sheru86

Star Member
Sep 22, 2022
I would like to see them try to rein in the anger if they do end up imposing back to work. Didn't go so well for Ontario last time.
If not this, they will have to reign in the anger from general public. Unless people decide to suck it up and bear with the inconveniences without much protest. This strike was totally avoidable. The gov had two years to reach a deal. It is their incompetence and apathy that brought about this difficult situation. They will likely have to agree to go from 9 to 10 or 10.5%. Most members would accept that, and the union indicated that they already came down from their initial demand of 13.5%. Not sure about WFH. But I have a feeling that most members won't support continuing the strike for WFH alone.

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
This strike is already posing as dangerous. Some schools in Quebec are closed today because of the safety concerns caused by the strike. Essential workers aren't being allowed into the government buildings by the strikers, and there are people on strike who are holding up the Canada/US border making it difficult for people to drive across. My guess is if the government isn't budging, they are working on a back to work legislation

Reactions: irinaaas11

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
This strike is already posing as dangerous. Some schools in Quebec are closed today because of the safety concerns caused by the strike. Essential workers aren't being allowed into the government buildings by the strikers, and there are people on strike who are holding up the Canada/US border making it difficult for people to drive across. My guess is if the government isn't budging, they are working on a back to work legislation
Hopefully, it's the reasonable thing to do.

Unfortunately the NDP will not support this for ideological considerations, it could unfortunately undermine the Liberal-NDP alliance in the near future and bring down the minority government, and thus favor the rise of the Poilievre's conservatives... But that is Another story, in the immediate future, these profiteers and abusers of public money should be forced to continue to blackmail them, and forced to return to work, by force of law.

The Conservatives will surely vote for the measure.

Reactions: irinaaas11

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Holy moly this is getting serious if true.

• Wow
Reactions: oboyzee