+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP refusal

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, My PGWP got refused saying I was not full time, but I have been a full time student the whole time. Additionally, my refusal says "Your status in Canada is valid until September 30, 2022." (This was the end date of Study Permit), but it has been more than 90 days since I have applied for the PGWP, I have three questions.
  1. Does that mean I am out of status or my status is valid till 30th Sept?
  2. If I apply again before Sept 30 2022 , will I go back to maintained status considering they just mentioned my status in Canada is valid till sept 30th (OR) Because it has been 90 days since I applied for PGWP and now got refused, I need to restore my status first and then apply PGWP again?
  3. I am also working full time, and have stopped working now. But can I start working once I apply for PGWP again before Sept 30? (OR) do I need to wait for the PGWP reapplication results?
Kindly help. Thanks!
Will try to respond since you posted on an old thread. So your transcript says full-time through your studies…no failed courses, no part-time, graduated on time, never changed programs. If so, ask for reconsideration.

1. You are out of status on Sept 30. You need to change your status so student (if you can) or visitor.
2 & 3 You can not work until your PGWP is approved because it has been refused. You have to restore status and then wait for approval

Reactions: shivaniverma_88

shivaniverma_88

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Will try to respond since you posted on an old thread. So your transcript says full-time through your studies…no failed courses, no part-time, graduated on time, never changed programs. If so, ask for reconsideration.

1. You are out of status on Sept 30. You need to change your status so student (if you can) or visitor.
2 & 3 You can not work until your PGWP is approved because it has been refused. You have to restore status and then wait for approval
Thank you so much! I have applied for reconsideration via webform and also applied for PGWP again. Hoping for the best. I am not really sure why this happened. This is super heart breaking. I have always done everything as suggested by University and IRCC, have been full time with really good grades. :(

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much! I have applied for reconsideration via webform and also applied for PGWP again. Hoping for the best. I am not really sure why this happened. This is super heart breaking. I have always done everything as suggested by University and IRCC, have been full time with really good grades. :(
So your transcript shows full time, no breaks between semester unless scheduled. Were there any other reasons for refusal?

shivaniverma_88

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
So your transcript shows full time, no breaks between semester unless scheduled. Were there any other reasons for refusal?
No! No other reason. It is a mistake from officer's end. Even my University's IRCC representative is trying to connect with IRCC now.
When I called the IRCC, they told me after reading the notes that the officer thought the 2 subjects I took to be part time, however, each subject was big one and is considered full time in my university. Moreover, many of my classmates took similar course distribution (some even too exactly same as I did) and got the PWGP by IRCC or CBSA. There is, however, one girl who got refused with same reason, weird thing is she applied on the same date as I did and got refusal on the same day I did. We even have similar names. This is horrible how they never read documents properly. :(

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No! No other reason. It is a mistake from officer's end. Even my University's IRCC representative is trying to connect with IRCC now.
When I called the IRCC, they told me after reading the notes that the officer thought the 2 subjects I took to be part time, however, each subject was big one and is considered full time in my university. Moreover, many of my classmates took similar course distribution (some even too exactly same as I did) and got the PWGP by IRCC or CBSA. There is, however, one girl who got refused with same reason, weird thing is she applied on the same date as I did and got refusal on the same day I did. We even have similar names. This is horrible how they never read documents properly. :(
This is not the fault of IRCC but the university. The issue is then with your university to state on transcripts and all documentation that the two subjects are full time. IRCC cannot know how each and every universities and its many programs completion requirements.

Reactions: shivaniverma_88

shivaniverma_88

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
This is not the fault of IRCC but the university. The issue is then with your university to state on transcripts and all documentation that the two subjects are full time. IRCC cannot know how each and every universities and its many programs completion requirements.
I agree! It's been almost a month now and still waiting to hear back on the reconsideration request. Do you have any suggestions for me in the meantime?

airforce1907

Dec 23, 2018
then ircc should scrap that dumb part-time rule and issue pgwps even if people were part-time as long as they didn't work during that period, what a stupid rule

Geezg

Nov 16, 2022
No, it was an academic break.
Hi brother
I am facing same situation i took fall semester scheduled break. I get supporting letter from university it states that i was full time student and the break was authorized provided by university.
I really thank full to you if you help me to to tell everything about your case.
Waiting for your repply
Thanks you

Student0913

Dec 12, 2022
I agree! It's been almost a month now and still waiting to hear back on the reconsideration request. Do you have any suggestions for me in the meantime?
Hi Shivani,
I am in a similar boat currently.
Can you please update? Did you get your approval?
How soon after the reconsideration did you get the response from IRCC?

shivaniverma_88

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Hi Shivani,
I am in a similar boat currently.
Can you please update? Did you get your approval?
How soon after the reconsideration did you get the response from IRCC?
I actually got approval in a month time after I submitted the reconsideration request. The same application which was refused later got approved. I hope you hear back soon. Try calling IRCC and check if they have received your reconsideration request.