+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP refusal

Sirak1996

Sep 23, 2019
Hello there,
My name is Siraj Ahmed, I'm in very unique and frustrating situation. I've graduated in April 2019 with Business accounting diploma and applied for my PGWP on May 29th 2019 and I got a refusal on September 12th 2019, reason which they stated was that I didn't maintain my full-time status during the program. In my 2nd semester, I took only 1 course because I was badly sick and I didn't mention my medical condition for that time in my application then they put me on 90 days restoration period starting from sept 12th to dec 12, 2019. I was so panicked, I went to a consultant and he advised me that as my study permit got expired already (30th july) and I don't have any status so we cant apply for pgwp directly, he said first we have to get your status back thats why we will apply for study permit for few months so we can have your status back and then apply for pgwp. He submitted my study permit restoration applicaton and also simultaneously he attached my pgwp application both together on October 2nd, 2019. He said, In case if study permit restoration gets approved but pgwp gets refused we should submit another pgwp individually as we are still in 180 days period otherwise we will loose this chance if we pass 180 days period so we submitted pgwp#2 application with explanation all doctor notes and my medical situation on November 6th 2019. Now, I got refusal on January 6th 2020 for study permit restoration application. I have no status now and also 90 days restoration period is passed but my pgwp#2 still in process. I was wondering do i need to leave country immediately or i can stay till i get decision on my pgwp application.

I know its a long para, if you get confuse or lost somewhere please ask me in comment i will clarify more.
Your advise will be appreciated. Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello there,
My name is Siraj Ahmed, I'm in very unique and frustrating situation. I've graduated in April 2019 with Business accounting diploma and applied for my PGWP on May 29th 2019 and I got a refusal on September 12th 2019, reason which they stated was that I didn't maintain my full-time status during the program. In my 2nd semester, I took only 1 course because I was badly sick and I didn't mention my medical condition for that time in my application then they put me on 90 days restoration period starting from sept 12th to dec 12, 2019. I was so panicked, I went to a consultant and he advised me that as my study permit got expired already (30th july) and I don't have any status so we cant apply for pgwp directly, he said first we have to get your status back thats why we will apply for study permit for few months so we can have your status back and then apply for pgwp. He submitted my study permit restoration applicaton and also simultaneously he attached my pgwp application both together on October 2nd, 2019. He said, In case if study permit restoration gets approved but pgwp gets refused we should submit another pgwp individually as we are still in 180 days period otherwise we will loose this chance if we pass 180 days period so we submitted pgwp#2 application with explanation all doctor notes and my medical situation on November 6th 2019. Now, I got refusal on January 6th 2020 for study permit restoration application. I have no status now and also 90 days restoration period is passed but my pgwp#2 still in process. I was wondering do i need to leave country immediately or i can stay till i get decision on my pgwp application.

I know its a long para, if you get confuse or lost somewhere please ask me in comment i will clarify more.
You have to leave Canada. You have no status and no option for legalizing your status. The second PGWP app is irrelevant. It doesn't give you status and will be refused.

Reactions: Kim2005

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Why did your study permit restoration get refused? You could have restored to visitor as study permit is not a requirement for pgwp. If you are past restoration only option seems to be to leave & apply for pgwp from abroad if you are still within time.

Bwoah

Jan 12, 2020
Hi, I am looking for some guidance and maybe advise.
I graduated from two year Masters program on 3rd Oct'19. The same date is mentioned on my university graduation letter. Same day I applied for the pgwp. Now, on January 6th, 2020 I received a refusal in my pgwp application. Panick mode on! Spoke to CIC representative the next day. He advised that my transcript wasn't uploaded. And asked me to use a web form to send a request for reconsideration, which I did. I uploaded my graduation letter (dated 3rd oct19) and unofficial transcript (dated 5th oct'19, downloaded from university website). Just to be double sure I got my official transcript issued on 8th January and resent another web form with all three documents this time.
Now my question is:
1. How long does it take for a request for reconsideration.
2. I am out of status as of 6jan, the date of my pgwp refusal. What options do I have?
3. I understand everything is time bound. So will restoring status as visitor and then applying for pgwp again. Is this actually the correct way?
4. Any other options I can look forward to?

Bwoah

Jan 12, 2020
Hi, I am looking for some guidance and maybe advise.
I graduated from two year Masters program on 3rd Oct'19. The same date is mentioned on my university graduation letter. Same day I applied for the pgwp. Now, on January 6th, 2020 I received a refusal in my pgwp application. Panick mode on! Spoke to CIC representative the next day. He advised that my transcript wasn't uploaded. And asked me to use a web form to send a request for reconsideration, which I did. I uploaded my graduation letter (dated 3rd oct19) and unofficial transcript (dated 5th oct'19, downloaded from university website). Just to be double sure I got my official transcript issued on 8th January and resent another web form with all three documents this time.
Now my question is:
1. How long does it take for a request for reconsideration.
2. I am out of status as of 6jan, the date of my pgwp refusal. What options do I have?
3. I understand everything is time bound. So will restoring status as visitor and then applying for pgwp again. Is this actually the correct way?
4. Any other options I can look forward to?
Update...
Received an email this morning from CIC. It says, "we verified the information you provided for reconsideration and have forwarded it to the responsible office. They would contact you in case further information is required or a decision is made based on your request. "
I am just keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for this uncertain period. I understand the decision rests with the required visa office..Edmonton processing centre in may case.)

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello there,

It sucks to hear bad news but I think this is it for you man. You should go back home and you are now illegal at this point. You advisor (is he a lawyer?) will try and make as much money off you as possible before you leave - which even he knows is inevitable. Take some time and see what you can do. Canada is not the end of the world

Dec 19, 2019
Update...
Received an email this morning from CIC. It says, "we verified the information you provided for reconsideration and have forwarded it to the responsible office. They would contact you in case further information is required or a decision is made based on your request. "
I am just keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for this uncertain period. I understand the decision rests with the required visa office..Edmonton processing centre in may case.)

Did you receive any update ? After that.

interstu98

Feb 7, 2020
Yes. I received an email asking me to repay the open work permit fee (as it was refunded to me earlier). So I have paid that and attached the fee receipt through my CIC account. My application status also changed from refused to processing. :)

Hi any updates? Did you get ur PGWP?

interstu98

Feb 7, 2020
Yes. I got the pgwp.
My timeline
16jan: repaid the open work permit fee, as initial one was refunded.
2feb: review of eligibility
3feb: status changed to approved.
That is great. Congrats. Did you apply for restoration or anything else while they were deciding whether they would reconsider your application or not?
I requested reconsideration in a webform and they sent me the exact same message they sent you 10 days ago, but my application status has not changed. They did not refund my open work permit when they refused my application though.

Bwoah

Jan 12, 2020
That is great. Congrats. Did you apply for restoration or anything else while they were deciding whether they would reconsider your application or not?
I requested reconsideration in a webform and they sent me the exact same message they sent you 10 days ago, but my application status has not changed. They did not refund my open work permit when they refused my application though.
No I did not apply for a restoration, I waited for them to get back to me. It took them around 30 days from refusal letter to approval of pgwp. Just make sure you understand your timelines so that you don't run out of time while waiting to hear back. You can call CIC and check for the status of your application (whether or not its reopened). Have patience and good luck.

JASPRET

Jan 23, 2020
Hello there,

Did you get any updates for your PGWP application???