+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP 2023 extension Opt In: Passport expires just a few days before the 18 months

baryonix

May 21, 2019
Hi, I'm holding a PGWP with expiry date Dec 16, 2023 and eligible for the 18-month extension. I have also received the Interim work authorization email allowing me to work until May 2024.

Now, I'd expect the new PGWP would be valid for 18 months from the current expiry date so it'd be June 16, 2025.
And my passport expires on June 25, 2025. So I thought I could just simply Opt In.

The issue is in the Opt-In questionnaire, IRCC seems to "round up" the expiry date, meaning they ask that my passport must be valid till at least June 30, 2025 and thus they don't allow me to proceed...

What can I do in this case? I'd prefer not extending my passport because there is still a long time before expiry and this current passport is tied to an in-progress PR application.

Can I apply for the PGWP extension in the regular way (i.e, without opting in)? And write an explanation that I hope they will give me the extension because it's just 5 days different?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi, I'm holding a PGWP with expiry date Dec 16, 2023 and eligible for the 18-month extension. I have also received the Interim work authorization email allowing me to work until May 2024.

Now, I'd expect the new PGWP would be valid for 18 months from the current expiry date so it'd be June 16, 2025.
And my passport expires on June 25, 2025. So I thought I could just simply Opt In.

The issue is in the Opt-In questionnaire, IRCC seems to "round up" the expiry date, meaning they ask that my passport must be valid till at least June 30, 2025 and thus they don't allow me to proceed...

What can I do in this case? I'd prefer not extending my passport because there is still a long time before expiry and this current passport is tied to an in-progress PR application.

Can I apply for the PGWP extension in the regular way (i.e, without opting in)? And write an explanation that I hope they will give me the extension because it's just 5 days different?
There is a lot of miscommunication with this opt-in thing they started, and it doesn't help that they launched the program just before the good Friday long weekend.

If you are not eligible for the opt-in process, and you are still eligible for the program, then you need to follow these exact steps
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/post-graduation-work-permit-holders/apply-in-canada.html

To be eligible for the program, your first PGWP must have expired after September 20th 2021. If you are in Canada, then the interim work authorisation mail will allow you to work until may 2024. If you are outside Canada, then you can still apply for the permit, but you can't use the interim work authorisation email.

Your permit will be issued, with the date starting when you it expires, or when your apply if you are applying with an expired permit.

For your particular case, I would just submit it, as your work permit will be valid as long as your passport is valid. In your case your passport should just fit the 18 months, and hopefully before that your PR is processed.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018

I am unsure what exactly is their criteria are for qualifying for the opt-in process, as the only thing they have said is that if you are eligible, then we will send you an email, it's really opaque. However, the only difference between the opt-in and regular process is the payment of $155 through the normal process, and a longer wait.

baryonix

May 21, 2019
There is a lot of miscommunication with this opt-in thing they started, and it doesn't help that they launched the program just before the good Friday long weekend.

If you are not eligible for the opt-in process, and you are still eligible for the program, then you need to follow these exact steps
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/post-graduation-work-permit-holders/apply-in-canada.html

To be eligible for the program, your first PGWP must have expired after September 20th 2021. If you are in Canada, then the interim work authorisation mail will allow you to work until may 2024. If you are outside Canada, then you can still apply for the permit, but you can't use the interim work authorisation email.

Your permit will be issued, with the date starting when you it expires, or when your apply if you are applying with an expired permit.

For your particular case, I would just submit it, as your work permit will be valid as long as your passport is valid. In your case your passport should just fit the 18 months, and hopefully before that your PR is processed.
Thanks for your response.

"I would just submit it" ==> do you mean I just submit a regular PGWP extension and pay the fee?
This is because I cannot proceed further in the Opt-in form, they show these particular requirements:

Do all of the following apply to you:
  • Your name matches the name on your post-graduation work permit.
  • You live in Canada and have a Canadian mailing address.
  • Your passport will expire on or after June 30, 2025.
  • You accept an extended post-graduation work permit of 18 months (this will be an extension to your valid work permit
The form just doesn't allow me to submit because my passport expiry date is June 25, 2025! It's really silly on their part to round up/down any date in between the month! :( I should have been able to opt-in effortlessly but no...

Now I'll have to pay 155$ processing fee + 100$ (holder fee) and also the cost of renewing my passport

I am unsure what exactly is their criteria are for qualifying for the opt-in process, as the only thing they have said is that if you are eligible, then we will send you an email, it's really opaque. However, the only difference between the opt-in and regular process is the payment of $155 through the normal process, and a longer wait.
Yes, I assume if they email me, means I'm already eligible! Now I cannot opt in. Seems they didn't fully test their system before rolling out

katapru

Apr 6, 2023
Hi I'm having a problem with the interim work permit as well. My PGWP expired July 2022. I received the email saying I'm legible for the interim work permit but I can't find the 'opt in' option they're talking about whenever I log into the IRCC. I currently have an application to extend my work permit and study permit in progress. Could this be the reason why I can't find this 'opt-in' option?

When I log into my IRCC account, I only see the list of my currently submitted and past applications. Where is this 'opt-in' option?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hi I'm having a problem with the interim work permit as well. My PGWP expired July 2022. I received the email saying I'm legible for the interim work permit but I can't find the 'opt in' option they're talking about whenever I log into the IRCC. I currently have an application to extend my work permit and study permit in progress. Could this be the reason why I can't find this 'opt-in' option?

When I log into my IRCC account, I only see the list of my currently submitted and past applications. Where is this 'opt-in' option?
See this link on how to "opt-in":

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/post-graduation-work-permit-holders/mail-work-permit.html

katapru

Apr 6, 2023
"
  1. Log in to your IRCC secure account and select Post-graduation work permit holder: Extend your open work permit (up to an additional 18 months) and opt in to stay and work in Canada for up to an additional 18 months.
"
I've already read this page and understand most of the instructions except for the red part I highlighted.
I have an IRCC account and log into it but I don't get any prompt/link/pop up/questionaire to 'opt-in' when I log into it.
What does this 'opt-in' option even look like? The instructions that I've highlighted in red implied it should be easy to find, but I'm not seeing it.
Is it possibly a questionnaire? Do I have to put specific answers to get the 'opt-in' option?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
"
  1. Log in to your IRCC secure account and select Post-graduation work permit holder: Extend your open work permit (up to an additional 18 months) and opt in to stay and work in Canada for up to an additional 18 months.
"
I've already read this page and understand most of the instructions except for the red part I highlighted.
I have an IRCC account and log into it but I don't get any prompt/link/pop up/questionaire to 'opt-in' when I log into it.
What does this 'opt-in' option even look like? The instructions that I've highlighted in red implied it should be easy to find, but I'm not seeing it.
Is it possibly a questionnaire? Do I have to put specific answers to get the 'opt-in' option?
When you sign in to your gckey, you will see that in the "Start an application" section, just above the "Account Messages" section.

katapru

Apr 6, 2023
It's not showing up there either. I do have a work and study permit extension application being processed at the moment so maybe that's why it's not showing up for me I suppose.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I got the email, I'm eligible for the PGWP extension. What about my wife who's on a SOWP? Would I be able to submit an extension for her as well?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
It's not showing up there either. I do have a work and study permit extension application being processed at the moment so maybe that's why it's not showing up for me I suppose.
Hmmm... That's weird... I guess your only option now is to apply for the PGWP extension. Downside is, you will have to pay for that application.

I got the email, I'm eligible for the PGWP extension. What about my wife who's on a SOWP? Would I be able to submit an extension for her as well?
I think we can apply for our spouse's SOWP extension after we get our PGWP extension. Am not sure, though, others more knowledgeable may comment.

Reactions: andrews17

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks for your response.

"I would just submit it" ==> do you mean I just submit a regular PGWP extension and pay the fee?
This is because I cannot proceed further in the Opt-in form, they show these particular requirements:

The form just doesn't allow me to submit because my passport expiry date is June 25, 2025! It's really silly on their part to round up/down any date in between the month! :( I should have been able to opt-in effortlessly but no...

Now I'll have to pay 155$ processing fee + 100$ (holder fee) and also the cost of renewing my passport

Yes, I assume if they email me, means I'm already eligible! Now I cannot opt in. Seems they didn't fully test their system before rolling out
Please read the link I sent it explains the entire process in detail in detail.

The mail you got was for the work authorisation, not the opt-in. You are eligible for the program but not the opt-in, this was the miscommunication I was referring to. Yes, you will have to make a normal work permit application, but you must follow the specific instructions that they have provided.

You will be exempt from some fees, here is an excerpt from the link I provided above.

Step 3: Pay your fees
You’re exempt from paying the open work permit holder fee (CAN$100). Don’t pay this fee.

To pay your fees correctly, you must follow the instructions on this page, including

You must pay

• the work permit processing fee (CAN$155)
  • the biometrics fee (CAN$85), if applicable
  • the restoration fee (CAN$229.77), if applicable
Because you’re exempt from paying one of the fees (open work permit holder fee), you need to pay your fees before you apply online.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
You will have to apply for your PGWP extension first and after you receive the permit you must apply for the SOWP.

Reactions: andrews17

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
"
"
This is another stupid thing that they did, check the subject of the email. If it says work authorisation, then you only got the work authorisation email. Check your email, including spam for a mail that has the subject that includes the word "OPT-IN".If it does, then follow the process given in that mail.

If you only have the work authorisation email, then you will have to make a normal open work permit application, follow the instructions in this link.

Personally, unless your permit is expiring soon, I would wait until the 11th as IRCC is currently on extended break, and their mail they sent out makes no sense.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018

Sorry just saw this after I posted the previous comment. If your permit expired, then you are not eligible for the opt-in procedure. You will have to submit a fresh open work permit application, there are some instructions you need to follow, read through the link here.