+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency "Serious Disease" Question

Feb 21, 2017
My wife and I created an Express Entry profile and were given an Invitation to Apply (Federal Skilled Worker program) last week - we are nearly done with the initial Permanent Residency application forms, but we would like this forum's advice on the question: "Has <applicant> had any serious disease or physical or mental disorder?" - the trouble is, CIC does not provide any insight into what they view as "serious"

My wife is the primary applicant, and she has a very mild case of Crohns disease. This was diagnosed almost 5 years ago, and it is well controlled with her medication. She has never required surgery and has no trouble maintaining a full time job - she is not in any way disabled by her condition. However, Crohns can be a serious disease, while in her case it is not, and we are concerned about the implications of answering either "yes" or "no" in the PR application.

If we answer "no", we risk appearing as though we are hiding something (which is not our intention). She will be honest during her medical examination, and will have the opportunity to explain her nuanced case to the doctor (I assume?). Basically, while Crohn's can be serious, in her case it is NOT serious (assuming we know what they mean by "serious"), and so can we justify answering "no" to avoid immediately flagging our application off the bat with a potential problem?

If we answer "yes", we can enter an explanation in plain text in the form. Either way we risk being labeled as an excessive burden to the Canadian health care system, even though her medical needs for this condition are primarily her medications which the provinces don't cover anyway as we understand. If we do answer "yes", how can we describe the reality of her condition in a way that will help avoid the excessive burden label? Are there other mitigating factors (such as her age - 33 - and the amount of money we are bringing with us - 6 figures) that we can make sure to emphasize?

Has anyone had experience with anything like this? Thank you in advance.

Lasso

Aug 15, 2016
buffalobuffaloNY said:
My wife and I created an Express Entry profile and were given an Invitation to Apply (Federal Skilled Worker program) last week - we are nearly done with the initial Permanent Residency application forms, but we would like this forum's advice on the question: "Has <applicant> had any serious disease or physical or mental disorder?" - the trouble is, CIC does not provide any insight into what they view as "serious"

My wife is the primary applicant, and she has a very mild case of Crohns disease. This was diagnosed almost 5 years ago, and it is well controlled with her medication. She has never required surgery and has no trouble maintaining a full time job - she is not in any way disabled by her condition. However, Crohns can be a serious disease, while in her case it is not, and we are concerned about the implications of answering either "yes" or "no" in the PR application.

If we answer "no", we risk appearing as though we are hiding something (which is not our intention). She will be honest during her medical examination, and will have the opportunity to explain her nuanced case to the doctor (I assume?). Basically, while Crohn's can be serious, in her case it is NOT serious (assuming we know what they mean by "serious"), and so can we justify answering "no" to avoid immediately flagging our application off the bat with a potential problem?

If we answer "yes", we can enter an explanation in plain text in the form. Either way we risk being labeled as an excessive burden to the Canadian health care system, even though her medical needs for this condition are primarily her medications which the provinces don't cover anyway as we understand. If we do answer "yes", how can we describe the reality of her condition in a way that will help avoid the excessive burden label? Are there other mitigating factors (such as her age - 33 - and the amount of money we are bringing with us - 6 figures) that we can make sure to emphasize?

Has anyone had experience with anything like this? Thank you in advance.
I'm not a doctor but have 35 years of experience in medical field. IMO, you can't explain anything to a medical doctor and the decision will be taken on her lab work findings weather the condition is potentially extensive.
And to answer yes or no it's your call.
Lord Jesus is our savior.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
buffalobuffaloNY said:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/admiss/index.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/admiss/excessive.asp

If you believe it is not serious, you can answer "no" and leave it up to the panel physician. IF the physician raises a flag, the VO will ask you to submit a "mitigation" plan, or a plan on how you will manage the illness without being a burden to Canadian society. It sounds like you have strong financial resources, so this is unlikely to be an issue.

sandeepn

Mar 14, 2017
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-06-2017
AOR Received.
24-06-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
29-04-2017
Passport Req..
29-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
19-09-2017
I am in the process of applying for a PR and am yet to receive an ITA. I am the primary applicant and also have a mild form of crohn's. I just need to take regular medications and need to get my self checked once a year or so. It would be great if you could post about your experience once you are done with your medical or have found a definitive answer to your question.

liquidmetal

Feb 14, 2017
Im in the same position. I havent applied for PR yet but was planning to do it in the next few months. Would really appreciate an update on your situation if you have any.

sandeepn

Mar 14, 2017
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-06-2017
AOR Received.
24-06-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
29-04-2017
Passport Req..
29-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
19-09-2017
I just passed my medicals. I did inform my doctor during the medical examination about my mild crohns condition. The doctor said it is not a problem. Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.

Reactions: Mthornt

bronte

Aug 14, 2017
I just passed my medicals. I did inform my doctor during the medical examination about my mild crohns condition. The doctor said it is not a problem. Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.
In my experience the Dr always says "its not a problem" and will depend on the type of medication you are taking to control the Crohns. If the medication is expensive then you will most likely receive a procedural fairness letter. We submitted our response to the procedural fairness letter 7 weeks ago and have not yet received a response.

Reactions: sandeepn

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes most Crohns diagnosis will end up in procedual fairness review because of the cost of the biologic drugs like Humira. Also possibility for surgery, many doctor visits, regular testing, etc. Always important to be upfront with any medical issue even if under control because misrepresentation could haunt you in the future. Best of luck with both procedural fairness and the Crohns disease.

indy500

May 27, 2017
Hey Sandeep, Could you share if you answered Yes or No to the question "Have you had any serious disease or physical or mental disorder?"

indy500

May 27, 2017
In my experience the Dr always says "its not a problem" and will depend on the type of medication you are taking to control the Crohns. If the medication is expensive then you will most likely receive a procedural fairness letter. We submitted our response to the procedural fairness letter 7 weeks ago and have not yet received a response.
Did you hear back from them? What did they say to your reply to the procedural fairness letter?

Dreunited007

Apr 3, 2018
Good
Glad to know that you have passed the exam Hope you in Canada now am about to start mine and I wish to ask some questions on medical line have been a weed smoker for about 6yrs ago and just stopped now when am applying for PR pls I will like to ask if they test for drug and also the lungs test if its for smoking test?

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Good

Glad to know that you have passed the exam Hope you in Canada now am about to start mine and I wish to ask some questions on medical line have been a weed smoker for about 6yrs ago and just stopped now when am applying for PR pls I will like to ask if they test for drug and also the lungs test if its for smoking test?
I don't recall doing a drug or smoking test. Possibly being asked if I smoke though.