+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pathway to permanent residency recognizes exceptional service of asylum claimants on front lines of COVID-19 pandemic

Lolly smiles

Nov 17, 2020
I dont understand why some Nigeria lawyers always behave stupid sometimes.
I got a procedural fairness letter from ircc to reply within 7days. I met with my lawyer and i told him that there is no way i could get all the requested documents with that shortest period that he should request for an extension for 30 days so i can put everything together. He keep insisting that i should wait till Tuesday which is the last day.

I dont feel comfortable with that arrangement so i wrote IRCC myself on monday to request for an extension. The request was granted same day.

I later told him and he was angry and furious. Am like why are you agree. U kept telling me to wait till the last day. I dont feel comfortable. This is my life not yours. If i get refused now. You will move and i will be the one to deal with it.

Or have i done anything wrong by requesting it myself?
This is your case fight for it, your lawyer has nothing to loose. I believe you will get a positive answer. GUDLUCK

Reactions: Samuel1122

Foms

May 6, 2021
This is your case fight for it, your lawyer has nothing to loose. I believe you will get a positive answer. GUDLUCK
I don't even know why people use lawyers, tbh They are getting thesame info on the website so why am I paying you. Well don't mean to shit on those using a lawyer but you can do this yourself, talk to fellow people that have done it...anyway I finally got my COPR on Monday.... congratulations in advance to you all still waiting

Khejjy

Mar 16, 2021
I don't even know why people use lawyers, tbh They are getting thesame info on the website so why am I paying you. Well don't mean to shit on those using a lawyer but you can do this yourself, talk to fellow people that have done it...anyway I finally got my COPR on Monday.... congratulations in advance to you all still waiting
Congrats to you and yours, can you share your Timeline please.

Samsonge

Star Member
Mar 11, 2021
Congrats to you and yours, can you share your Timeline please.
You guys are absolutely correct , but the truth is that some of us that decided to use lawyers didn’t really have a choice .
For instance - I had a complicated case whereby we had to do a reopening application for my refugee claim because there was a breach of natural Justice and the IRB ruled that the case should be redetermination,unfortunately it was denied 2x and this activities made our case very bulky and complex meaning- any lawyer that handles the second judicial review has to defend 6 different files that were submitted to immigration by different lawyers.
I attempted to use another lawyer and he charged about 20k cad ,so I decided to hold into the lawyer that handled the previous submission. So when the pathway rolled in, I had a choice to submit application while we were waiting for final decision of 2nd appeal , I had a choice to apply myself but I decided to have the same lawyer to continue with our application incase if the appeal was denied , lo and behold it was denied and we had to do another JR , it could have been more complicated if I had previously disengaged my lawyer and I’m sure the cost of hiring another lawyer will be highly uneasy . Anyways that’s what led me to using a lawyer , funny enough I assisted my Neigbour and another friend through the process and they already got copr while I’ve been waiting since February . Lord have mercy …
@Dalesgate please advise -: my lawyer submitted letter of discontinuance and uploaded a thread of electronic status of the jr .
The thread indicated that letter of discontinuance was recieved on 5th of February and she also uploaded the previous letter of discontinue for our first JR .

Last edited:

Dalesgate

Aug 18, 2019
You guys are absolutely correct , but the truth is that some of us that decided to use lawyers didn’t really have a choice .
For instance - I had a complicated case whereby we had to do a reopening application for my refugee claim because there was a breach of natural Justice and the IRB ruled that the case should be redetermination,unfortunately it was denied 2x and this activities made our case very bulky and complex meaning- any lawyer that handles the second judicial review has to defend 6 different files that were submitted to immigration by different lawyers.
I attempted to use another lawyer and he charged about 20k cad ,so I decided to hold into the lawyer that handled the previous submission. So when the pathway rolled in, I had a choice to submit application while we were waiting for final decision of 2nd appeal , I had a choice to apply myself but I decided to have the same lawyer to continue with our application incase if the appeal was denied , lo and behold it was denied and we had to do another JR , it could have been more complicated if I had previously disengaged my lawyer and I’m sure the cost of hiring another lawyer will be highly uneasy . Anyways that’s what led me to using a lawyer , funny enough I assisted my Neigbour and another friend through the process and they already got copr while I’ve been waiting since February . Lord have mercy …
@Dalesgate please advise -: my lawyer submitted letter of discontinuance and uploaded a thread of electronic status of the jr .
The thread indicated that letter of discontinuance was recieved on 5th of February and she also uploaded the previous letter of discontinue for our first JR .
not sure if you meant 5th of October or 5th of February. If the former, i guess you can wait. Some officers are not as fast as others and some cases are different from others.

Samsonge

Star Member
Mar 11, 2021
A very Big Lesson learnt today -:
@Khejjy @Dalesgate @Lolly smiles
Could you believe that My lawyer sent the wrong document to immigration instead of the notice of discontinuance.
@Dalesgate as previously mentioned in the earlier post that we should include the notice of discontinuance, I just noticed that she uploads a stamped notice of service which is the second document listed by @Dalesgate .
Few days ago I decided to send an email to the immigration as advised by apovine and they replied today asking me to submit notifice of discontinuance,only for the lawyer to realize that they made a mistake . Does it mean that if I didn’t contact the immigration office via email , we might just be waiting for nothing…
This is a very sad and Painful experience

Khejjy

Mar 16, 2021
Could you believe that My lawyer sent the wrong document to immigration instead of the notice of discontinuance.
@Dalesgate as previously mentioned in the earlier post that we should include the notice of discontinuance, I just noticed that she uploads a stamped notice of service which is the second document listed by @Dalesgate .
Few days ago I decided to send an email to the immigration as advised by apovine and they replied today asking me to submit notifice of discontinuance,only for the lawyer to realize that they made a mistake . Does it mean that if I didn’t contact the immigration office via email , we might just be waiting for nothing…
OMG ..thank goodness you sent the mail, you would have just been waiting....

Reactions: Lolly smiles

Apovine

Dec 5, 2020
So sorry bro
I learnt the hard way myself.
Ever since then,I have been an advocate of “Don’t leave your application for your Lawyer alone”Follow up bumper 2 bumper.

I tell people,follow up with IRCC about your case.
These Lawyers are not perfect and they have a lot of things to handle.
Many of them are PR and Citizens,you are the one still fighting to be one.

Let me burst you with a little story;I know of someone that submitted Humanitarian through their Lawyer,believe me,their application was just there in the Lawyer’s office for a whole year.
It was when they applied for Pathway and needed to link both application together,IRCC told them they never applied for Humanitarian.
Guess what?The Lawyer was just begging.
If you feel your application is not going the way you think it should be,speak out….
Sorosoke!!!!

Lolly smiles

Nov 17, 2020
Sorry about that,it's good that you followed up with IRCC . This is your application. I know someone who submitted in January through a lawyer and never got AIP. Everything his lawyer is always busy

EnochBee

Oct 9, 2021
@Apovine your message few days ago prompted me to write them. I did wrote them that evening and before noon the following day, I got a response to discontinue. We need to act and not pray alone.
@Dalesgate I did all the needful by filling notice of discontinuance and notice of intent to act in person at FC. I also added the acknowledgement from Atorney general and Solicitor in record (my ex lawyer).
I filed them online and got a response within 24hrs today from federal court However, it says (Status- Returned).
I noticed that the avidavit was not done. My question is could it be that? Do I need to go to a notary for that?
Please explain a little further how you did the avidafit. Thanks

Reactions: Apovine

Khejjy

Mar 16, 2021
So sorry bro
I learnt the hard way myself.
Ever since then,I have been an advocate of “Don’t leave your application for your Lawyer alone”Follow up bumper 2 bumper.

I tell people,follow up with IRCC about your case.
These Lawyers are not perfect and they have a lot of things to handle.
Many of them are PR and Citizens,you are the one still fighting to be one.

Let me burst you with a little story;I know of someone that submitted Humanitarian through their Lawyer,believe me,their application was just there in the Lawyer’s office for a whole year.
It was when they applied for Pathway and needed to link both application together,IRCC told them they never applied for Humanitarian.
Guess what?The Lawyer was just begging.
If you feel your application is not going the way you think it should be,speak out….
Sorosoke!!!!
Wao....just wao...what if there were no pathway they would have ran out of status..

Samsonge

Star Member
Mar 11, 2021
Hi All ,

Is there anyone that had to submit letter of discontinuance to the federal High court ? If yes please advise ooo
I know that @Dalesgate went through similar process .
please what does the federal court issue after serving the letter of discontinuance?

would they stamp and return same documents or is there any other letter of document issued by the federal court confirming that the JR has been closed ?
Please advise …