+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pathway to permanent residency recognizes exceptional service of asylum claimants on front lines of COVID-19 pandemic

rita456

Star Member
Jan 17, 2021
My question is are you a Refugee? If so avoid applying for passport at this time until you citizen of Canada so you don't lose your status. But if your not then you will have to travel back to that embassy again and do the normal way of 9ijia to get your passport. It's very unfortunate but that the reality in which we find ourselves as a country. Thanks and good luck.
I am not a refugee, i became a PR last year through this pathway

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto
For People who obtained their Permanent Resident status through the Healthcare Workers Pathway.
Please avoid travelling directly to your home country. People from Nigeria in particular.

I know at least three people who are having immigration problems because they return to their home country directly.

Reactions: Tmon

thank god

Star Member
Jan 1, 2022
For People who obtained their Permanent Resident status through the Healthcare Workers Pathway.
Please avoid travelling directly to your home country. People from Nigeria in particular.

I know at least three people who are having immigration problems because they return to their home country directly.
I had an appointment with an immigration lawyer and he told me as you were told by IRCC to withdraw your claim and then gave your PR there won't be any problem with immigration as you were never given refugee status.

Reactions: Lolly smiles

Tmon

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021

To support this, I flew to US over the holidays with my kids and when I was coming back, I was sent in for secondary. It was fast. And it was just because I claimed asylum in Canada in the past. As the guy was letting me go, he said ‘you do know you are not allowed to go to your home country?’ I said ‘yes, although I got my papers through the healthcare pathway’. He said ‘what?’ And I just smiled and said of cos I know I’m not supposed to go and I am not planning to. He said welcome home. We all have to remember that some of these immigration agents at the airport really do not know much about this pathway. When you travel, your name still pops up in red because you claimed asylum here. I am very confident that if I had been coming from Nigeria, I would have had problems at that airport, just because of the person I met. We should still apply wisdom to this thing. It’s just not worth the risk. This is my own two cents. Happy new year everyone!

thank god

Star Member
Jan 1, 2022
To support this, I flew to US over the holidays with my kids and when I was coming back, I was sent in for secondary. It was fast. And it was just because I claimed asylum in Canada in the past. As the guy was letting me go, he said ‘you do know you are not allowed to go to your home country?’ I said ‘yes, although I got my papers through the healthcare pathway’. He said ‘what?’ And I just smiled and said of cos I know I’m not supposed to go and I am not planning to. He said welcome home. We all have to remember that some of these immigration agents at the airport really do not know much about this pathway. When you travel, your name still pops up in red because you claimed asylum here. I am very confident that if I had been coming from Nigeria, I would have had problems at that airport, just because of the person I met. We should still apply wisdom to this thing. It’s just not worth the risk. This is my own two cents. Happy new year everyone!
Which airport did you land?

YEMMYILO

Sep 21, 2016
Which airport did you land?
At any rate I got my PR through my healthcare program and av been to Nigeria twice.Anyone who got their PR through pathway can go their own country but if it’s through Refugee please don’t go back . In addition at Pearson on both occasion I was pulled for secondary inspection and the cbsa officer told me that it’s like a routine check I have to go through cos it’s still showing on their system that I once applied for a refugee and that it will be updated when I become a citizen . Again I are free to go back to ur country of origin if u get ur PR through healthcare pathway thanks

Reactions: Lolly smiles

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It depends on whether you got your protected person status first. If you did you are always a protected person no matter if you then got PR through the healthcare program.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
At any rate I got my PR through my healthcare program and av been to Nigeria twice.Anyone who got their PR through pathway can go their own country but if it’s through Refugee please don’t go back . In addition at Pearson on both occasion I was pulled for secondary inspection and the cbsa officer told me that it’s like a routine check I have to go through cos it’s still showing on their system that I once applied for a refugee and that it will be updated when I become a citizen . Again I are free to go back to ur country of origin if u get ur PR through healthcare pathway thanks
If you were a protected person but got your PR through healthcare pathway you can’t return to your home country. Some people were alreeady protected people when they applied for the PR pathway for healthcare workers. It will also be common to get pulled into secondary having claimed asylum and returning to your home country even if you applied for PR through another pathway and never became a protected person. The optics of being let into Canada because you applied for asylum but have been visiting your home country are not good and so you will often get pushback when entering Canada.

thank god

Star Member
Jan 1, 2022
If you were a protected person but got your PR through healthcare pathway you can’t return to your home country. Some people were alreeady protected people when they applied for the PR pathway for healthcare workers. It will also be common to get pulled into secondary having claimed asylum and returning to your home country even if you applied for PR through another pathway and never became a protected person. The optics of being let into Canada because you applied for asylum but have been visiting your home country are not good and so you will often get pushback when entering Canada.
I would like to clear a doubt. This pathway was only for refugee claimants right? When I read through the requirements I saw if the case was approved they are ineligible for this program.

cmunonye3

Star Member
Mar 13, 2021
No, the Healthcare Pathway is for Refugee claimants who has pending or failed refugee claim living in Canada and not Protected person.

on the contrary, a Protected person is a person who has been determined to be a Convention refugee or person in similar circumstances by a Canadian visa officer outside Canada, a person whom the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada has determined to be a Convention refugee or in need of protection in Canada, or a person who has had a positive pre-removal risk assessment (in most cases).

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto
I would like to clear a doubt. This pathway was only for refugee claimants right? When I read through the requirements I saw if the case was approved they are ineligible for this program.
That's correct. Its only for pending or failed Refugee claimants. Not for protected person

Lolly smiles

Nov 17, 2020
I have been to my homecountry twice since I got the pathway and I always go through secondary checks too because of previous refugee claim. The immigration officers told me that their system will update once we're citizens but we're free because we are not protected people or person in need of protection ..so it's normal to go through secondary checks. Worry not.

Lolly smiles

Nov 17, 2020
I have been to my homecountry twice since I got the pathway and I always go through secondary checks too because of previous refugee claim. The immigration officers told me that their system will update once we're citizens but we're free because we are not protected people or person in need of protection ..so it's normal to go through secondary checks. Worry not.
By the way I'm a failed claimant, failed appeal and failed judicial...

thank god

Star Member
Jan 1, 2022
I have been to my home country and came back today. I had secondary inspection they took our PR cards and my sons passport checked them never said or asked anything just said your are good to go and showed is the exit. When I did the KIOSK my photo was not in the sheet. I don't know whether the secondary inspection was about that.