+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport - Issue with Name

SP88

Oct 17, 2011
karambir singh said:
Guys , one query.

I have surname in my passport but in education documents and employment certificates I have not used my surname . My file is under processing . Could the above lead to hassle ?

KB
no it will not lead to hassle as they want your name as in the passport..... yes it may require unnecessary explanations if the vo wants to know why...... but it is ok just tell them it is an acceptable practice

Cdn_NB

Mar 7, 2013
sandyboy388 said:
Rohan,

I got my name corrected recently (a couple of weeks ago). It's a tedious process. You'd need the following if you're changing it in Canada:

1. Change of Name Affidavit notarized locally (use only the format which is online on the Indian Consulate website).
2. Newspaper ad of name change in Canada and one in India.
3. Wait for EXACTLY one month (I went to the VFS a day earlier and they asked me to come back the next day) and then go with all of these original documents and apply for the change.

The whole process takes close to 2.5 months.

Let me know if you need further information.

All the best!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP SANDYBOY.

I have one question for you please? Where did you submit your application? In Toronto or in Vancouver? I am asking this because I am unable to find the name change affidavit form in the CGI, Toronto website. (cgitoronto.ca/Passport/passpNew1.html)

My case is that I am a PR in canada and live in New Brunswick. I have changed my name in Canada and have a certificate from the NB provincial government. Now I want to do the same name change in my passport. Could you help me out with this please? I request you.

I have changed my name in my canadian driving license and health card too.

Thanks in advance.

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
11-12-2012 done, received on 24-12-2012 and ecas updated 11-02-2013
Passport Req..
DM: April 25th and PPR: May 2nd
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
Cdn_NB said:

I have one question for you please? Where did you submit your application? In Toronto or in Vancouver? I am asking this because I am unable to find the name change affidavit form in the CGI, Toronto website. (cgitoronto.ca/Passport/passpNew1.html)

My case is that I am a PR in canada and live in New Brunswick. I have changed my name in Canada and have a certificate from the NB provincial government. Now I want to do the same name change in my passport. Could you help me out with this please? I request you.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I submitted my application in Vancouver.

It's better if you go to the Indian Consulate and confirm what is needed. I say this because the process is not standard and you may not even require certain documents. Also, I see that the VFS is no longer processing anything as their contract with the Indian High Commission has expired (that's what their website says).

All the best!

Cdn_NB

Mar 7, 2013
sandyboy388 said:
Hi,

I submitted my application in Vancouver.

It's better if you go to the Indian Consulate and confirm what is needed. I say this because the process is not standard and you may not even require certain documents. Also, I see that the VFS is no longer processing anything as their contract with the Indian High Commission has expired (that's what their website says).

All the best!
Thanks again. The problem is I reside in NB and there is no Indian Consulate to confirm what is needed. Yes, VFS is no longer accepting any applications and its been done by BLS now. They also dont have proper info.

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
Cdn_NB said:
Thanks again. The problem is I reside in NB and there is no Indian Consulate to confirm what is needed. Yes, VFS is no longer accepting any applications and its been done by BLS now. They also dont have proper info.
Try calling the customer service and ask them for the process. In the worst case you can keep the documents I mentioned earlier ready. As for the affidavit form, you can find it here http://www.vfsglobal.com/india/usa/pdf/Deed_poll_090512.pdf and get this locally notarized (within Canada). That should do, even if they don't need it, you've provided it and they process your application.

Hope this helps.

Cdn_NB

Mar 7, 2013
sandyboy388 said:
Try calling the customer service and ask them for the process. In the worst case you can keep the documents I mentioned earlier ready. As for the affidavit form, you can find it here and get this locally notarized (within Canada). That should do, even if they don't need it, you've provided it and they process your application.

Hope this helps.
Thanks again for your help. Is this form not different from the one in CGI, BC form? One more thing I need to ask you is that, I am married now. Do I need to give the marriage certificate also because I was single when I applied for my previous passport. I am confused in that too.

Could you list all the documents that you submitted please. I sincerely request you to help me in this. Its such a pain for me. Like the forms that you filled and all the docs that you submitted please.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.

Cdn_NB

Mar 7, 2013
Hello,

Has anybody done a name change in the Indian Passport by sending their application to the CGI, Toronto office please? If so what all the documents that you submitted. Could somebody help me out with this please.

Thanks,
Ram

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
Cdn_NB said:
Thanks again for your help. Is this form not different from the one in CGI, BC form? One more thing I need to ask you is that, I am married now. Do I need to give the marriage certificate also because I was single when I applied for my previous passport. I am confused in that too.

Could you list all the documents that you submitted please. I sincerely request you to help me in this. Its such a pain for me. Like the forms that you filled and all the docs that you submitted please.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.

The form isn't very different from what I submitted. The only difference I see is the link I provided has two witnesses at the bottom of the form and the one I submitted did not have any, and I don't think that will be a problem.

Ok, I was in a similar situation regarding inclusion of Spouse in the passport. I say don't do it, it's a bigger hassle.. you need more documentation for it, something attested from New Delhi.

For the Name "change", you'd need these:
1. Name change Affidavit notarized locally (in Canada).
2. News Paper ad, one in Canada and other in India (national newspapers). It should be a month old when you're applying for the name change in the passport.
3. All the other documents that are required for the Passport renewal, Workpermit/ PR- original, address proof - local and photographs (Indian passport size). And two photocopies of everything.
4. And o'course the completed application.

Make sure you check the website for any additional documentation.

All the best!

Cdn_NB

Mar 7, 2013
sandyboy388 said:
The form isn't very different from what I submitted. The only difference I see is the link I provided has two witnesses at the bottom of the form and the one I submitted did not have any, and I don't think that will be a problem.

Ok, I was in a similar situation regarding inclusion of Spouse in the passport. I say don't do it, it's a bigger hassle.. you need more documentation for it, something attested from New Delhi.

2. News Paper ad, one in Canada and other in India (national newspapers). It should be a month old when you're applying for the name change in the passport.
3. All the other documents that are required for the Passport renewal, Workpermit/ PR- original, address proof - local and photographs (Indian passport size). And two photocopies of everything.

All the best!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY. I SINCERELY APPRECIATE IT.

So, I will not bother about including my wife's name in my passport. Like you did, I will not send my marriage certificate at all.

I will include all other docs. I will do a newspaper add in Canada and India. I will get the affidavit notarized and apply. Hopefully everything should work.

Cdn_NB

Mar 7, 2013
sandyboy388 said:

All the best!

Hello Sandyboy,

One last question to you please? Did you submit any other letter from the notary public in addition to the "Name change affidavit form"? Let me know please?

Is just that name change affidavit enough or do we need to give a letter from the notary public also. Kindly help me in this please?

Thanks
Ram

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all - sorry to come back on an old topic, but this is relevant so wanted some advice:

1 - How do you get the advertisement done in India if we don't have anyone back home to do it?
2 - I see that it is not necessary to add spouse name to passport - so when filling the form for renewal, do we still say married and give the spouse name?

thanks

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
Cdn_NB said:

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Did you get new indian passport with new name. I am also planning to change name and i am indian citizen with canadian PR. Can you help me???

Nakaa

Star Member
Jul 17, 2017
Hello!
In my passport my full name is written as such say ( first name: x s/o y ) and there is no last name. Instead of family name the passport issuing dept has mentioned my father name. It means i have my first name and father name so there is no last name.

I got my landing paper, visa and PR Card and expectig to get my health card soon. The issue is this, in all said documents they mentioned my given name instead of family name, and in given name they mentioned nothing it is blank as such (family name: my name showing in my passport
Given name: it is blank ).

In my immigration documents i mentioned my father name to work as family name so the case was accepted and i got visa and moved to canada. Now i want to add my last name and amend the PR card and immigration documents. Pls guide what is the procedure.
Thank you

abj@canada

Star Member
Oct 20, 2019
no it will not lead to hassle as they want your name as in the passport..... yes it may require unnecessary explanations if the vo wants to know why...... but it is ok just tell them it is an acceptable practice
Hi SP88, Could you please help me for issue with my Spouse name?
I am the primary applicant. I have claimed points for spouse's work experience in EE profile and now I am go to submitting documents.
For my spouse the name in the passport and the name in the document related to work experience are different. To be very precise, her passport has Given name as first name(with suffix) and middle name and also has surname. In her work experience document, only first name (without suffix) and surname are included.
Should this be a concern? If yes, what preemptive measure I can take? It is not a name change legally or otherwise, it was erroneously followed at that time.
Many thanks in advance.