+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport - Issue with Name

singh_111

Sep 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have the same situation -'Full name is given as First Name and Surname is blank'

Till now, I have not experienced any issue because of this situation. My application for Permanent resident under PNP category is 'In Process'.

If you have time to make the change on your passport, you can go for that. Otherwise it can work without the change too.

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
sandyboy388 said:
Hi Canadahelp7,

Yeah, technically this is not a name change, its only splitting the Full Name entered in either Given Name or Surname. This is exactly what I thought and went with the application to the VFS office in Vancouver. They did not accept it stating that I have to follow the name change process as it is being done from Canada (basically outside India) and I also got it confirmed at the Indian Consulate too. It's sad that the Indian Consulate makes us go through this even though they are aware of this common issue with almost every other Indian Passport. Another sad part is that the helpline is not aware of the exact procedure while applying for any changes outside India.

The only advice I can give is to go to the closest VFS and inquire. But if it's Vancouver, you'd need to follow the steps I've provided above, will save you a lot of time. :)

All the best!
Sandyboy,

I got a response to my email from VFS Toronto - it says that they do not deal with this request and does not know the procedure to follow.
They have asked me to contact the embassy for instruction. As usual, they give the run-around!
I hope to hear some news from the embassy - will keep everyone posted.

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
singh_111 said:
I have the same situation -'Full name is given as First Name and Surname is blank'

Till now, I have not experienced any issue because of this situation. My application for Permanent resident under PNP category is 'In Process'.

If you have time to make the change on your passport, you can go for that. Otherwise it can work without the change too.
It does work without the change - Yes. That is the reason why I did not bother until now when I was told that my drivers license will be issued incorrectly.
The lady at Service Canada suggested to correct the name as they happen to see a handful of Indian passports with this problem & mentioned it will cause issues for all other government issued docs.

Are you applying inland?

SP88

Oct 17, 2011
Hi all

This is a common problem with Indian passport holders. Problem comes when filling cic forms where the name should be as it appears in the passport. The sooner this issue is sorted the easier it will become for filling the forms etc.

Remember it is not a name change so do not need to do newspaper advertisement or notary anything.

Fill a misecellanous form of Indian passport + photos + fee+ letter/application explaining that you want your last name to appear in the surname column and apply of an endrosement in the passport itself or alternatively apply for a new passport (if it is about to expire) to resolve the above issue.

Good luck

rohan1103

Star Member
Feb 26, 2013
Thanks for your Information. Has anyone does this ? Means Does Indian Consolate will accept this ?

Thanks
R

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
11-12-2012 done, received on 24-12-2012 and ecas updated 11-02-2013
Passport Req..
DM: April 25th and PPR: May 2nd
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
rohan1103 said:
Thanks for your Information. Has anyone does this ? Means Does Indian Consolate will accept this ?

Thanks
R
Rohan,

I got my name corrected recently (a couple of weeks ago). It's a tedious process. You'd need the following if you're changing it in Canada:

1. Change of Name Affidavit notarized locally (use only the format which is online on the Indian Consulate website).
2. Newspaper ad of name change in Canada and one in India.
3. Wait for EXACTLY one month (I went to the VFS a day earlier and they asked me to come back the next day) and then go with all of these original documents and apply for the change.

The whole process takes close to 2.5 months.

Let me know if you need further information.

All the best!

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
SP88 said:
Hi all

This is a common problem with Indian passport holders. Problem comes when filling cic forms where the name should be as it appears in the passport. The sooner this issue is sorted the easier it will become for filling the forms etc.

Remember it is not a name change so do not need to do newspaper advertisement or notary anything.

Fill a misecellanous form of Indian passport + photos + fee+ letter/application explaining that you want your last name to appear in the surname column and apply of an endrosement in the passport itself or alternatively apply for a new passport (if it is about to expire) to resolve the above issue.

Good luck
Hi SP88,

Logically it isn't a name change. However, the Indian Consulate's process requires us to provide all of those documents I mentioned, especially if you're in Canada. Funny part is that the process is not consistent across other Indian Consulates around the world. I provided this feedback and I dont think it matters. Hopefully there will be a gradual change and make the process consistent and easy for such common problems.

Cheers!

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One of reasons people leave 3rd world countries to better places like Canada, even officials are retarded in those countries. Anyway, good thing they didn't include your birth date along with your first and last name in the given name field.

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
rohan1103 said:
My only Concern is - Could It may lead to rejection ??
Any Possibility
Rejection of what?
Change of name (which technically isn't a name change) in passport by the Consulate is not a possibility unless you dont have your docs right. Also, I dont see any reason why an update to the name with correct reasons should impact the PR processessing as well.

rohan1103

Star Member
Feb 26, 2013
Thanks Sandy----

WHat I mean to say that if without correction of name in passport , If I apply for PR , Will officer may reject my application ? Is there any possibility ?

SP88

Oct 17, 2011
It will not lead to rejection but delays are possible.
To fill any forms especially immigration forms you need to fill surname (as it appears in your passport), this is where the problem occurs and then the unnecessary explanations etc.

Go to the Indian consulate and tell them problems with the surname column blank ......
they will give you the usual blah... blah... notary stuff and change in newspapers etc...
do not go down that path... (u r not changing a name)
then reason them that it is not name change but correction so the surname appears in the proper column and you need a endrosement/observation done in the passport
if the official still goes on blah.... blah stuff say you want to speak to a higher authority in this case the assistant consular

you will need to fill missllaneaous form + photos + fee + covering letter.... that is all you need (no need to get a new passport unless your passport is near expiry

it works...... ;D

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
rohan1103 said:
Thanks Sandy----

WHat I mean to say that if without correction of name in passport , If I apply for PR , Will officer may reject my application ? Is there any possibility ?
Hi Rohan,

From what I know, there will be no delays or problems if your passport does not have a surname. CIO will put your given name in surname as its mandatory. There will be no issues even after you receive the PR. It's only a hassle to keep explaining to people while filling forms... I'd suggest you get it corrected.

Cheers!
Sandy

karambir singh

Apr 18, 2011
CHANDIGARH, PUNJAB
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI TO COLOMBO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
CIC NS 14/02/2013
AOR Received.
CIO :- 25/03/2013, NDVO :- 27/06/2013, CVO :26/11/2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
26/11/2013
Med's Request
31/01/2014
Med's Done....
03/02/2014 , ECAS Update :- 08/02/2014
Passport Req..
11/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
15/02/2014
LANDED..........
30/04/2014
Guys , one query.

I have surname in my passport but in education documents and employment certificates I have not used my surname . My file is under processing . Could the above lead to hassle ?

KB