+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport - Issue with Name

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
My surname in the passport is blank as they have the full name under the ''Given name'' section. I heard from Service Canada that they have seen this issue with many others & it could pose a problem while applying for other documents.

I started to experience problems with this as I have been informed that my name will be recorded as below when the drivers license is issued as they cannot leave one field blank - as such they will repeat the same name twice.
Given Name - First Name(X) Last Name(Y)
Surname - First Name(X) Last Name(Y)

Did anyone face a similar issue? Please could you advice how to go about fixing the problem?

atinsingh

Oct 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-Nov-2012/Resend on 15-Feb-2013
Nomination.....
27-Sep-2012
AOR Received.
02-APR-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
File Transfer...
8 MAY 2013 to SGVO / 26 Nov 2013 to NDVO
Med's Request
Not Yet
Med's Done....
Not Yet
Interview........
No idea?
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Actually this is a unique case, why don't you fill your applications as per your passport. or else get new passport with change in name.

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
atinsingh said:
Actually this is a unique case, why don't you fill your applications as per your passport. or else get new passport with change in name.
Thankyou Atinsingh!
On enquiring I understand the best approach is to correct the passport. Since I am in a province that do not have the Indian consulate, I am looking to seek information on the process and the duration it will take to get the changes done. Do you have any information or can point me to a source ?

I am travelling for the next three months to the US and back and is the main reason why I am unsure if it the right step to take.

Arora17

Star Member
Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-04-2011
AOR Received.
08-09-2011
Med's Request
21-09-2011
Med's Done....
30-09-2011
canadahelp7 said:
My surname in the passport is blank as they have the full name under the ''Given name'' section. I heard from Service Canada that they have seen this issue with many others & it could pose a problem while applying for other documents.

I started to experience problems with this as I have been informed that my name will be recorded as below when the drivers license is issued as they cannot leave one field blank - as such they will repeat the same name twice.
Given Name - First Name(X) Last Name(Y)
Surname - First Name(X) Last Name(Y)

Did anyone face a similar issue? Please could you advice how to go about fixing the problem?
MY passport only had a given name and no last name, So i got my passport amended , and got my name rite .
That sorted a lot of problems and I would recoomend the same to u :)
CHeerz!

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
Arora17 said:
MY passport only had a given name and no last name, So i got my passport amended , and got my name rite .
That sorted a lot of problems and I would recoomend the same to u :)
CHeerz!
Thanks Arora17.
Did you get the passport change done in India or in canada? What are the documents I need to submit and should I go in person?

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
11-12-2012 done, received on 24-12-2012 and ecas updated 11-02-2013
Passport Req..
DM: April 25th and PPR: May 2nd
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
I have the same issue and i'm in the process of correcting it in the Indian Passport. Here's what you need to do:

1. Complete the form "Affidavit for Change in Name" available at this link: http://www.cgivancouver.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=56
and get it notarized (local, within Canada).
2. Place a newspaper advertisement in English in:
a) Your province (province wide newspaper)
b) India (any National newspaper)

You will need to wait for 30days from the time the Name Change advertisement has been published in both the newspapers and then apply for the changes in the passport at any of the VFS offices near you.

The checklist for the same is available on this website: http://in.vfsglobal.ca/pdf/F-OPS-03_Misc-Passport-Service-Application-Checklist-201012.pdf.

If you still have any queries, please contact VFS. NOTE: The person on the phone may say that a notarized affidavit is sufficient, but the VFS office WILL ask you for all of the above when you are submitting your documents for Name Change.

Hope this helps.

All the best!

monpreet

Star Member
Jun 26, 2011
United Kingdom
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-07-2012
Doc's Request.
14-11-2012
AOR Received.
22-09-2012
Med's Request
14-11-2012
Med's Done....
24-11-2012
Passport Req..
23-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2013
LANDED..........
06-05-2013
my mum and dad had exactly same problem. They got their PR in Oct 2012. My dad has since applied for drivers licence, but he had no problem. They just left his last name blank and put everything in first name.

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a full name in my passport instead of first and last name. When I applied for immigration, PR card, driver license and health card, I used last name of my full name as a last name on those Govt. issued documents and I haven't had any problem.

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
Monpreet and scorpion_ca are both correct, it poses no issues. However, there are times you'd go through trying to explain why you dont have a First Name/ Last Name. For me personally, its a pain!

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
sandyboy388 said:
I have the same issue and i'm in the process of correcting it in the Indian Passport. Here's what you need to do:

1. Complete the form "Affidavit for Change in Name" available at this link: http://www.cgivancouver.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=56
and get it notarized (local, within Canada).
2. Place a newspaper advertisement in English in:
a) Your province (province wide newspaper)
b) India (any National newspaper)

You will need to wait for 30days from the time the Name Change advertisement has been published in both the newspapers and then apply for the changes in the passport at any of the VFS offices near you.

The checklist for the same is available on this website: http://in.vfsglobal.ca/pdf/F-OPS-03_Misc-Passport-Service-Application-Checklist-201012.pdf.

If you still have any queries, please contact VFS. NOTE: The person on the phone may say that a notarized affidavit is sufficient, but the VFS office WILL ask you for all of the above when you are submitting your documents for Name Change.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
Sandyboy.

I was browsing the internet and stumbled on the Indian consulate in USA. They have a section which says, ''Splitting the name'' http://www.immihelp.com/nri/indianpassport/change-of-name-splitting-name.html

I can only wonder how many people this has affected as some person (or a bunch) are not doing their job in the passport office!

Thankyou for the forms.It is not a name change and I wonder if there is something similar in Canada as the US link proves that the Indian consulate is well aware of the issue it is causing most of the subjects!

In btwn, did you book an appointment with VFS to gather this information. I called their helpline and the person at the other end said he is unsure what is required as it is technically NOT a name change. He asked me to book an appointment with VFS and see what are the documents to be presented.

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
monpreet said:
my mum and dad had exactly same problem. They got their PR in Oct 2012. My dad has since applied for drivers licence, but he had no problem. They just left his last name blank and put everything in first name.
Monpreet,

They must be super lucky as I was told that they cannot do that. Do their PR card reflect the passport name details?
In btwn, which province did they obtain the drivers license from

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
scorpion_ca said:
There is a full name in my passport instead of first and last name. When I applied for immigration, PR card, driver license and health card, I used last name of my full name as a last name on those Govt. issued documents and I haven't had any problem.
Scorpion_ca

I think you took a wise step. On second thought, I think that would have been the most appropriate step.
So much to go through for filling the original forms ditto as the passport!

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you receive your PR card or driver's licence in Canada, you wouldn't have any other problem to get other Govt. issued cards or documents. Try different registry for driver's licence as you wouldn't get same service from each registry.

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
canadahelp7 said:
Sandyboy.

I was browsing the internet and stumbled on the Indian consulate in USA. They have a section which says, ''Splitting the name'' http://www.immihelp.com/nri/indianpassport/change-of-name-splitting-name.html

I can only wonder how many people this has affected as some person (or a bunch) are not doing their job in the passport office!

Thankyou for the forms.It is not a name change and I wonder if there is something similar in Canada as the US link proves that the Indian consulate is well aware of the issue it is causing most of the subjects!

In btwn, did you book an appointment with VFS to gather this information. I called their helpline and the person at the other end said he is unsure what is required as it is technically NOT a name change. He asked me to book an appointment with VFS and see what are the documents to be presented.

Hi Canadahelp7,

Yeah, technically this is not a name change, its only splitting the Full Name entered in either Given Name or Surname. This is exactly what I thought and went with the application to the VFS office in Vancouver. They did not accept it stating that I have to follow the name change process as it is being done from Canada (basically outside India) and I also got it confirmed at the Indian Consulate too. It's sad that the Indian Consulate makes us go through this even though they are aware of this common issue with almost every other Indian Passport. Another sad part is that the helpline is not aware of the exact procedure while applying for any changes outside India.

The only advice I can give is to go to the closest VFS and inquire. But if it's Vancouver, you'd need to follow the steps I've provided above, will save you a lot of time. :)

All the best!

Abdulsamad

Jan 9, 2013
In this case i can do point to be noted as it your national identity card address will be follow because your CNIC card to justified for approval then not to face this problem.According to CNIC card to make sure your passport.