+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Hi Everyone, see below... I found this on canadavisa.com regarding the financial requirements for Canada Family Class Sponsorship (which I believe also applies to sponsoring parents and grandparents)... Do you believe this information is possibly outdated?

My understanding was that only the following would be deducted, namely: any provincial allowance received by the sponsor for a program of instruction or training; any social assistance received by the sponsor from a province; any financial assistance received by the sponsor from the Government of Canada under a resettlement assistance program; any amounts paid to the sponsor under the Employment Insurance Act, other than special benefits; any monthly guaranteed income supplement paid to the sponsor under the Old Age Security Act; any Canada child benefit paid to the sponsor under the Income Tax Act.

I am especially concerned with the Workmen's compensation board payments being deducted from the total family income... Could workmen's compensation board payments actually fall within the definition of "social assistance"?

Financial Ability
Family Class Sponsorship for those Residing in Canada (Excluding Quebec)
The Financial requirements for Canada Family Class Sponsorship for those residing in Canada (excluding Quebec) are as follows:

A sponsor must demonstrate a level of income that meets the minimum necessary income or low-income cut-off (LICO) for a given family size, as established by Statistics Canada. The sponsor is freed from this requirement if:

• The individual requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner of the Canadian sponsor; or
  • The individual requiring sponsorship is the dependent child of the Canadian sponsor.
To determine if the sponsor's total income is sufficient, one must deduct the following from the total family income:

• Workmen's compensation board payments, except for permanent disabilities;
  • Payments from provincial or municipal sources for welfare assistance;
  • Payments from federal, provincial, or municipal sources for employment training, or for any social or welfare benefits which are not of a fixed and continuing nature; and
  • All debts.
If the Sponsor is unable to demonstrate a financial ability to provide for the essential needs of the immigrant, his or her spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner may act as a co-signer, if:

• Their combined income meets the minimum necessary income; and
  • The co-signer meets all the other sponsorship requirements of a valid sponsor.
What was your question? Are you trying to find out if you are eligible for sponsoring your parents?

K0c4nbi3t

Sep 5, 2015
Hi Everyone, see below... I found this on canadavisa.com regarding the financial requirements for Canada Family Class Sponsorship (which I believe also applies to sponsoring parents and grandparents)... Do you believe this information is possibly outdated?

My understanding was that only the following would be deducted, namely: any provincial allowance received by the sponsor for a program of instruction or training; any social assistance received by the sponsor from a province; any financial assistance received by the sponsor from the Government of Canada under a resettlement assistance program; any amounts paid to the sponsor under the Employment Insurance Act, other than special benefits; any monthly guaranteed income supplement paid to the sponsor under the Old Age Security Act; any Canada child benefit paid to the sponsor under the Income Tax Act.

I am especially concerned with the Workmen's compensation board payments being deducted from the total family income... Could workmen's compensation board payments actually fall within the definition of "social assistance"?

Financial Ability
Family Class Sponsorship for those Residing in Canada (Excluding Quebec)
The Financial requirements for Canada Family Class Sponsorship for those residing in Canada (excluding Quebec) are as follows:

A sponsor must demonstrate a level of income that meets the minimum necessary income or low-income cut-off (LICO) for a given family size, as established by Statistics Canada. The sponsor is freed from this requirement if:

• The individual requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner of the Canadian sponsor; or
  • The individual requiring sponsorship is the dependent child of the Canadian sponsor.
To determine if the sponsor's total income is sufficient, one must deduct the following from the total family income:

• Workmen's compensation board payments, except for permanent disabilities;
  • Payments from provincial or municipal sources for welfare assistance;
  • Payments from federal, provincial, or municipal sources for employment training, or for any social or welfare benefits which are not of a fixed and continuing nature; and
  • All debts.
If the Sponsor is unable to demonstrate a financial ability to provide for the essential needs of the immigrant, his or her spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner may act as a co-signer, if:

• Their combined income meets the minimum necessary income; and
  • The co-signer meets all the other sponsorship requirements of a valid sponsor.
What was your question? Are you trying to find out if you are eligible for sponsoring your parents?
These information is not official from IRCC, it will confuse you and others

carribean

Feb 7, 2013
Yes I am. More specifically, if workmen's compensation board payments are deducted from my total family income, my sponsorship application would fail.

I can't see how IRCC can deduct worker's compensation payments when these types of payments are not mentioned as deductions in the income calculation rules at sections 134(1)(b) and 134(1)(c) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Also, I don't believe these payments would be considered "social assistance", or would they?

Any input from anyone would be appreciated.

ankz001

Sep 21, 2017
May 6th applicant:
My mum's supervisa is valid till 1st week April 2020. She is in Canada currently. PGP application is at background check stage now. Additional documents submitted on Oct 22nd. I was hoping to see DM/PPR but no signs so far. Not sure where it is stuck.

What is someone's take on it? Should we book the return ticket for March or wait another month?? I was hoping if she gets her PPR, we can do landing at US border. And it is the holiday season now, don't think IRCC will be working over next 2-3 weeks.

Any suggestions?

djaulakh88

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
@robertp @YULIA-2016

• Sponsored People: Parents ( Mom & Dad)
  • Parents Country of Citizenship: India
  • Sponsor Province: Ontario
  • Invitations Receive Date: 24th April 2019
  • Application received in Ottawa Date: June 4th 2019
  • Ecas Updated - Sep 24, 2019
  • Application Linked - Sep 25, 2019
  • AoR Received (DATE): Sep 30, 2019
  • Sponsorship & PR application In process Date: 14th Nov, 2019
  • Sponsor ship Decision Made Date: 13th Dec 2019 ( No Email Yet, Just got Decision Made in Ecas)
  • Biometric request date : 12th Dec 2019
  • MyCIC update:
  • IME / PCC / travel history request date :
  • Comment :

Reactions: robertp

JasonDyk

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
May 6th applicant:
My mum's supervisa is valid till 1st week April 2020. She is in Canada currently. PGP application is at background check stage now. Additional documents submitted on Oct 22nd. I was hoping to see DM/PPR but no signs so far. Not sure where it is stuck.

What is someone's take on it? Should we book the return ticket for March or wait another month?? I was hoping if she gets her PPR, we can do landing at US border. And it is the holiday season now, don't think IRCC will be working over next 2-3 weeks.

Any suggestions?
My wife has the same thing. Her mother is on super visa and it is currently stuck with "Processing Background Check" stage.
What do you see in the Additional Document section in My CIC? Is it "Reviewing Documents" or "Received Documents" now?

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Yes I am. More specifically, if workmen's compensation board payments are deducted from my total family income, my sponsorship application would fail.

I can't see how IRCC can deduct worker's compensation payments when these types of payments are not mentioned as deductions in the income calculation rules at sections 134(1)(b) and 134(1)(c) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Also, I don't believe these payments would be considered "social assistance", or would they?

Any input from anyone would be appreciated.
Are you an applicant of PGP 2019?

If not, please create a new thread to discuss this as this is not relevant to PGP 2019.

ankz001

Sep 21, 2017
My wife has the same thing. Her mother is on super visa and it is currently stuck with "Processing Background Check" stage.
What do you see in the Additional Document section in My CIC? Is it "Reviewing Documents" or "Received Documents" now?
I sent the email for documents on Oct 22nd and then didn't see any update for next 3 weeks. I was given upto Nov 14th to send documents, so on Nov 12th I uploaded them again through mycic.
So currently it says your additional documents have been uploaded.

What does it say at your end?

chaalubaba

Apr 30, 2019
Hi,

I just received my Sponsorship Approval letter. Where do I send the required documentation they requested? Do I send it via email as instructed or do you upload/send it through myCIC?

Docs to send:
* travel history
* resume
* full passport
* police certificate

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I started processing PCC but rest of the documents, I emailed them on the email mentioned on SA letter. Awaiting letter for Bio-metrics and Medical from CIC now.

JasonDyk

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
I sent the email for documents on Oct 22nd and then didn't see any update for next 3 weeks. I was given upto Nov 14th to send documents, so on Nov 12th I uploaded them again through mycic.
So currently it says your additional documents have been uploaded.

What does it say at your end?
On my end, it says "We have received the additional documents you provided.".
I have checked with few more applicants who received passport request and for them it changed from received to reviewing at some point.

I am also waiting for DM and than passport request. Mississauga is very slow from last few days.

sagar416

Star Member
Jan 29, 2019
I went to a BLS Canada office and they told me that they cannot process two application at a time, it has to be either a PCC or Passport Reissue. BLS office sucks so much that for my two request, I will have to go to their office 4 times since you cannot collect your PCC and apply for a new passport the same day because the collection and submission times are different.

ferozqaiser0

Feb 6, 2019
Hi
My parents application online status showing application received on June 10. But I haven't received anything yet. I got acknowledgement in first week of October. How long it take usually to start the process?

robreeves

Jun 24, 2014
On my end, it says "We have received the additional documents you provided.".
I have checked with few more applicants who received passport request and for them it changed from received to reviewing at some point.

I am also waiting for DM and than passport request. Mississauga is very slow from last few days.
Do you mind if i ask if you were asked to upload them online or through email? In the letter i received, it said to email them it. I have called the IRCC and they have confirmed receipt of them but MyCIC states and has always stated, "We do not need additional documents."