+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

AradhanaDakua

Star Member
Apr 25, 2019
Hi All
My Mom got the visa stamped on the passport and it expires on July 28,
A family emergency has taken place and she won't be able to fly before this date,
Is there any way we could extend this date? Thank you in advance for your help
As per IRCC if you do not enter before the expiry date then you have to reapply for immigration and have to go through all processing steps again. They have already given the maximum validity and it cannot be extended - this must have been mentioned in the instruction paper that you received with the stamped passport & COPR.

worlduser

Oct 10, 2019
If you have any communication from IRCC mentioning that PR application has been approved, you can apply for OHIP. This is according to a Service Canada employee. I think there is no harm in take the emails/letters to Service Canada and ask them.
We went to Service Ontario location and they turned us away by saying that they need to see PR document from IRCC, they just can't let my mom giving a health card by seeing IRCC is ready to finalize the status. We are back to square one, uploaded photos on PR portal on March 2nd 2022 and PR portal status still remain - In review with IRCC. The medical was done on July 11th 2021 which means we have to do it again as it is only valid for 1 year. They are not answering anything on phone, on web messages and we are just stuck here. Anyone else can share their experience as to how long should it take once photos uploaded and address in Canada confirmed on PR portal. I am getting anxious for my mother as I really do not want her to leave Canada but as a visitor she can only stay for maximum of 1 year.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
We went to Service Ontario location and they turned us away by saying that they need to see PR document from IRCC, they just can't let my mom giving a health card by seeing IRCC is ready to finalize the status. We are back to square one, uploaded photos on PR portal on March 2nd 2022 and PR portal status still remain - In review with IRCC. The medical was done on July 11th 2021 which means we have to do it again as it is only valid for 1 year. They are not answering anything on phone, on web messages and we are just stuck here. Anyone else can share their experience as to how long should it take once photos uploaded and address in Canada confirmed on PR portal. I am getting anxious for my mother as I really do not want her to leave Canada but as a visitor she can only stay for maximum of 1 year.
I don't know the details about OHIP. But if your mother entered with a regular visitor visa (not super visa), the default stay is 6 months (not 1 year).
You can apply to extend her stay as visitor before the 6 months time is up.

simolak-1010

Jun 14, 2022
I just realized how naively I thought security check means we'll hear from CIC very soon. I did some research and that's what I found :

For some permanent resident applicants, the security screening takes a very long time to complete making them wonder if there is anything missing or concerning about their application. Most likely even you might have landed on this post looking for answers on why your security screening was taking this long. The last public statistics that is available on the processing of security screening is from the governor general fall 2011 audit. This audit talks about an agreement between IRCC and CBSA from 2006 which indicates CBSA can take 9-18 months (part 2-51 to 2055). There is no statistics since then.

There is no way I can find out when the starting point for security check was in my parents' application... but if it took 18 months in 2011, I guess covid will make it double or triple... it's super discouraging.

I also saw this:

As per the Security Screening Process manual the service delivery standard for screening permanent resident application within which 80% of the applications are processed is 110 Calendar days.

https://www.getgcms.com/blog/what-is-security-screening-comprehensive-guide/#2-when-does-security-screening-start-

Well, who knows how much longer we need to wait. the fact that it's already three years and a month since CIC received our application is the fact...The rest is just my wishful thinking...

Ketobaby

Star Member
Feb 2, 2022
Hi All
My Mom got the visa stamped on the passport and it expires on July 28,
A family emergency has taken place and she won't be able to fly before this date,
Is there any way we could extend this date? Thank you in advance for your help
I'd say there is no harm is trying. However, keep in mind that your expiration date is only about 4 weeks away you may not get a response before then and even if you do, it may not be favorable because the below was in one of your documents.

"You must travel to Canada and present your immigration documents at a Canadian Port of
Entry before they expire. The validity of the Permanent Resident documents cannot be
extended. If you fail to enter Canada before this date and still wish to immigrate to Canada,
you must reapply by submitting a new application and paying new processing fees. All such
applications will be assessed according to the immigration laws in force at the time of receipt
of the application. There is no guarantee a future application would be successful."

Another point is if your medical is already over a year, you'd mostly need to redo medical to get an extension.

gskn4u

Star Member
Nov 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014
AOR Received.
25-04-2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application
My mom came to Canada early June and done with her PR. Quick question if anyone can help:
1. do we need to apply for PR card (physical card) separately?
2. I have to wait for 153 days before we can apply for her OHIP card? Is that correct?

Hamied

Feb 20, 2016
Did the Service Ontario agent give you OHIP appeal forms? When I went there, they gave me that form and mentioned that I could appeal to the Health Commissioner since they had turned down making the OHIP card. For visa, you can apply online for extension. You will need a cover letter, a statutory declaration (similar to the one that was submitted at the time of applying for super visa and documents for financial support such as bank statement). There was a news that the Government would allow 2 year extension for super visa holders. You can check if that has become applicable, but you would not need two year extension.

fakenoob

Sep 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi Changed to Colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 Nov 2014
Doc's Request.
CC Charge 14 Jan 2015
Nomination.....
PER 5 Feb 2015
AOR Received.
19 March 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the app
File Transfer...
19 March 2015
Med's Request
11 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Waived Expected
Passport Req..
June-2015 Expected
VISA ISSUED...
July-2015 Expected
LANDED..........
Visiting in Oct-15 ,immigrating in April 2016 Planned
My application to sponsor parents was sent last year, i had provided IM5768 in the application package but today they sent a regular mail that says they need IM5768 if not already included in the application package. I am confused why they sent this letter addressing me. Do i do nothing or resend the IM5768 with 2021 income updated in the form? Anybody has any knowledge on this?

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
One of my friend is in a similar situation, his parents are now in Canada on a visitor visa but will stay until Aug end. 2nd medical done and the pre-arrival letter was sent as well. In order to avoid any VFS hassle etc. Does it make sense to contact CIC via webform and inform that parents are in Canada on visitor visa currently , I heard if parents are in Canada they can do virtual landing as well. Please suggest what will be the best next steps. Thanks

Singh2050

Star Member
May 22, 2019
makes sense, Thank you!

PPR advises the all required documents be sent in one single package, however, VFS wants the passports sent to them individually and has generated 3 separate way bill numbers for 3 applicants. I find this a little confusing and contradicting to what IRCC advises. How would Visa office know that the other two accompanying members are also approved for Copr?
Hi ,
Did you send 3 different packages to VFS or single package?
Because when I am generating web form to VFS it is asking me to enter the information for my mother as well.
Please send me list of documents to be included in package.
Thanks in advance

laxsun

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
My mom came to Canada early June and done with her PR. Quick question if anyone can help:
1. do we need to apply for PR card (physical card) separately?
2. I have to wait for 153 days before we can apply for her OHIP card? Is that correct?
They must have asked your mother photos during landing.
Most of us did not require separate applications for PR Cards.

Last edited:

rockwidme

Oct 6, 2016
Hi ,
Did you send 3 different packages to VFS or single package?
Because when I am generating web form to VFS it is asking me to enter the information for my mother as well.
Please send me list of documents to be included in package.
Thanks in advance
We had to do 3 sperate packages to VFS.

Documents sent were, copy of PPR, Passport, VFS application form and photo's.

gg08

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
Hi All, Looking for immediate help from the experts here!

Background: My parents PR application is in-progress from 2019. Received their biometrics request in Dec 2021 which was completed and the same is reflecting in the old (GC key system) and the new portal (valid from Dec 2021 to Dec 2031).
Since the PR application has no update since Dec 2021 and parents have to travel soon, I applied for their Visitor Visa on the new portal in Jun 8 2022.

Question: For my Father, I have received biometrics request letter in the new portal even though his current biometrics ( valid till Dec 2031) is reflecting in the new portal application. What shall I do? I submitted a webform few days back informing then & seeking clarification but no response till now.

Shall I just ignore the biometrics request letter for the visitor visa OR pay the fees as mentioned in the letter and go for fresh biometrics for him?

Note:
1. For my mother, i did not receive any biometrics request letter for visitor visa but only for my father. (since both of their PR biometrics are reflecting in both the portals).
2. My father's passport was renewed in between. i.e. PR application biometrics completed (Dec 2021) --> Passport renewed (Jan 2022) --> Visitor Visa-new portal biometrics request letter (Jun 2022). Are the biometrics linked to the passport?

Can someone please help as I need to decide by end of day if I have to pay for new biometrics request or not (i.e. 10 days given in the letter which is due to today)

Appreciate all the help, Thanks in advance!

rimpysadhrey

Star Member
May 29, 2018
Hi All, Looking for immediate help from the experts here!

Background: My parents PR application is in-progress from 2019. Received their biometrics request in Dec 2021 which was completed and the same is reflecting in the old (GC key system) and the new portal (valid from Dec 2021 to Dec 2031).
Since the PR application has no update since Dec 2021 and parents have to travel soon, I applied for their Visitor Visa on the new portal in Jun 8 2022.

Question: For my Father, I have received biometrics request letter in the new portal even though his current biometrics ( valid till Dec 2031) is reflecting in the new portal application. What shall I do? I submitted a webform few days back informing then & seeking clarification but no response till now.

Shall I just ignore the biometrics request letter for the visitor visa OR pay the fees as mentioned in the letter and go for fresh biometrics for him?

Note:
1. For my mother, i did not receive any biometrics request letter for visitor visa but only for my father. (since both of their PR biometrics are reflecting in both the portals).
2. My father's passport was renewed in between. i.e. PR application biometrics completed (Dec 2021) --> Passport renewed (Jan 2022) --> Visitor Visa-new portal biometrics request letter (Jun 2022). Are the biometrics linked to the passport?

Can someone please help as I need to decide by end of day if I have to pay for new biometrics request or not (i.e. 10 days given in the letter which is due to today)

Appreciate all the help, Thanks in advance!
yes biometrics are done only once, if she did biometric for visitor visa she don't need to do it again

konnichiwa12

Jan 2, 2018
Having received portal login credentials in May and already uploaded a photo for PR card, I received portal login email asking to confirm in Canada the second time within 1 month period. I have also now received webform email the third time - where you are to let them know that you are in Canada and give the current address in Canada. This is so confusing. Anybody had to go through similar issue?