+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng APEGA (Professional Engineers of Alberta) review timeline

Surena

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
Thanks! I applied with 4 years of Canadian experience, now 5. Used 5 client P.Eng. as validators for technical competencies, who verified my work in sensitive situations. I also used internationally trained non-P.Eng engineers at my company for non-technical competencies with decades of experience but never bothered to get P.Eng. I graduated from a Canadian university so didn't require the FE exam. I was not sure if my experience would be accepted because of no direct supervision from P.Eng., instead it was a verification of work type of relationship but it worked.
So did your validators mention that they did not have any direct supervision? Our situation is the same, but I am not sure if they will accept all my work experience, especially international experience!

mbshez

Nov 30, 2015
Calgary
So did your validators mention that they did not have any direct supervision? Our situation is the same, but I am not sure if they will accept all my work experience, especially international experience!
I am not sure if they did or not but I was very clear in my application and each description. Mentioned it to my application coordinator at least twice. Wrote a letter explaining the entire situation as well.

skhzkausar

Star Member
Aug 4, 2008
Calgary
Morning, My Apega website was displaying Examinations status as incomplete , but since last weeks it states as below. My BOE is scheduled for June 2020 and i haven't heard from them yet. Does my status update stating NPPE exam in place of Examinations means anything????

Am i being asked to write NPPE exam?? requesting for clarification if any one can.

NPP-ExamIncomplete6/21/2019 – This requirement does not need to be completed before the application deadline. Exam can be taken any time during the review process or after the Board’s decision. For more information, please refer to our website: https://www.apega.ca/apply/exams/national-professional-practice-exam-nppe/

mbshez

Nov 30, 2015
Calgary
Morning, My Apega website was displaying Examinations status as incomplete , but since last weeks it states as below. My BOE is scheduled for June 2020 and i haven't heard from them yet. Does my status update stating NPPE exam in place of Examinations means anything????

Am i being asked to write NPPE exam?? requesting for clarification if any one can.

NPP-ExamIncomplete6/21/2019 – This requirement does not need to be completed before the application deadline. Exam can be taken any time during the review process or after the Board’s decision. For more information, please refer to our website: https://www.apega.ca/apply/exams/national-professional-practice-exam-nppe/
Everyone has to write the NPPE. You can write it during the application process or once it is completed. There is no exemption for this requirement as far as I know.

Reactions: skhzkausar

Surena

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
Hi, BOE sent me a decision letter today! After more than 8 years of experience, they are asking me to bring more experience for some of the competencies without telling me how many years! I am so confused! It says when I feel like I have gained the experience I can send my updates for the reassessment and of course paying more money! Does anyone have any experience like this? Since my application date, I have already gained one more year of experience, I don’t know if I should claim it or wait more?
Also, I have not taken NPPE exam. If I take it later, should I pay more for the reassessment for the NPPE exam or NPPE exam result doesn’t go to the board!?

canada4evr

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Hi, BOE sent me a decision letter today! After more than 8 years of experience, they are asking me to bring more experience for some of the competencies without telling me how many years! I am so confused! It says when I feel like I have gained the experience I can send my updates for the reassessment and of course paying more money! Does anyone have any experience like this? Since my application date, I have already gained one more year of experience, I don’t know if I should claim it or wait more?
Also, I have not taken NPPE exam. If I take it later, should I pay more for the reassessment for the NPPE exam or NPPE exam result doesn’t go to the board!?
Sorry to hear that. Your file was sent TO BOE on May 2020? Mine was sent on May 2020, but haven't hear yet.
I have already enrolled for NPPE but I believe NPPE has nothing to do with reassessment as its mandatory exam in all cases. If I were you, I will enroll for the exam while have reassessment or other things as you plan going on

Surena

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
Sorry to hear that. Your file was sent TO BOE on May 2020? Mine was sent on May 2020, but haven't hear yet.
I have already enrolled for NPPE but I believe NPPE has nothing to do with reassessment as its mandatory exam in all cases. If I were you, I will enroll for the exam while have reassessment or other things as you plan going on
Thanks. Do you have NPPE references? The other question I have is”what does it mean: whenever you have gained the experience, update your application”!!! The don’t tell me how many months or years of experience do they want!? Some people said they were asked for 1 year more experience. My case is weird! It doesn’t talk about the duration! Any ideas?

Surena

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
Hi, please help me guys.
don’t understand BOE letter.
I don’t know what this email means from APEGA. Do they want me to bring more experience or they want me to update my competency? Does it mean that They accepted my academic and just the experience should be updated?! This is the BOE’s letter
The APEGA Executive Committee of the Board of Examiners has considered your application for registration as a Professional Member.
At this time, the Board has deferred approving your application and requires you to complete the requirement(s) indicated below:
  • 1. Meet the minimum requirement in the following competency categories
You may choose to improve any key competencies in the above competency categories.
What does this mean? Do they want more experience? Or explain the competency based on my previous experience? Does it mean the academic has passed?
Please help me.
I’m so confused and sad because I don’t know what they want from me. Will they want more experience or other exams after I update my competency? Or the duration does not matter and they just want me to update the competencies and get my PEng??

Last edited:

Amatsukami

Jun 27, 2018
Cameroon
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
01-12-2018
HI, i'm an industrial engineer, graduated in Cameroon, six years experience in cameroon also.
i'm on immigration process(still in cameroon), i want to be licensed or EIT with apega.
my concern is about the record of my work experience
how can i valuable prove it as i have no P.eng references?
should i start the process now, or should i wait till i get PR
thanks

canada4evr

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
HI, i'm an industrial engineer, graduated in Cameroon, six years experience in cameroon also.
i'm on immigration process(still in cameroon), i want to be licensed or EIT with apega.
my concern is about the record of my work experience
how can i valuable prove it as i have no P.eng references?
should i start the process now, or should i wait till i get PR
thanks
To apply for EIT you should have either PR or Canadian Citizenship. As per your description, your immigration file still in process, you are not either PR or Citizen yet. Therefore, you cannot start processing your application yet.
In regards to your question of getting canadian experience under P.Eng, as soon you get your status in Canada, you can start your application for EIT immediately without the need to have P.Eng. you can then look for job under a P.Eng to get the required experience. upon completing your required experience under P.Eng, then you can apply for license.

Last edited:

Amatsukami

Jun 27, 2018
Cameroon
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
01-12-2018
To apply for EIT you should have either PR or Canadian Citizenship. As per your description, you immigration file still in process, you are not either PR or Citizen yet. Therefore, you cannot start processing your application yet.
In regards to your question of getting canadian experience under P.Eng, as soon you get your status in Canada, you can start your application for EIT immediately without the need to have P.Eng. you can then look for job under a P.Eng to get the required experience. upon completing your required experience under P.Eng, then you can apply for license.
thanks for the quick answer

mbshez

Nov 30, 2015
Calgary
Seems like your description may not have convinced them that you fulfill the requirements. Maybe have them look over by someone who has experience with APEGA. I found someone through APEGA mentorship program and had them look over my descriptions and with their feedback I was able to comprehensively show my competency in each category.

skhzkausar

Star Member
Aug 4, 2008
Calgary
Hi, please help me guys.
don’t understand BOE letter.
I don’t know what this email means from APEGA. Do they want me to bring more experience or they want me to update my competency? Does it mean that They accepted my academic and just the experience should be updated?! This is the BOE’s letter
The APEGA Executive Committee of the Board of Examiners has considered your application for registration as a Professional Member.
At this time, the Board has deferred approving your application and requires you to complete the requirement(s) indicated below:
  • 1. Meet the minimum requirement in the following competency categories
You may choose to improve any key competencies in the above competency categories.
What does this mean? Do they want more experience? Or explain the competency based on my previous experience? Does it mean the academic has passed?
Please help me.
I’m so confused and sad because I don’t know what they want from me. Will they want more experience or other exams after I update my competency? Or the duration does not matter and they just want me to update the competencies and get my PEng??

Which competency categories did they mention? They must have given key competencies list? I am worried as my BOE is due in June 2020

Surena

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
Which competency categories did they mention? They must have given key competencies list? I am worried as my BOE is due in June 2020
1 competency for each category! Like 6 out of 22! It does not make sense to me! They just want me to improve my skills without any duration!!! Can anyone help me what it means? I already have another year of experience that recently gained after I submitted my application. Can I claim it right away and use the examples from the recent job and submit the competencies again?

canada4evr

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
BOE has responded today requesting me to take FE exam to confirm the quality of my education even though it was assessed by WES. In addtion, I have been requested to improve some key competencies (10 out of 22). I believe I had good competencies covering APEGA'S requirements. Is it advisable to request reassessment?