+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng APEGA (Professional Engineers of Alberta) review timeline

Surena

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
No, my degree from non-Canadian university. No update yet from the board if FE is required or not
My case is sent to the board. I will update you as soon as I hear from them. Please let me know whenever you hear from them as well. Thanks

Surena

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
Hi Guys, I have a question for you. I have not taken the NPPE Exam because I am waiting for the Board's decision and I have a year to take that exam. If they defer my application and ask for more experience or other exams, can I wait until I prepare the requirements and after their new decision will I have another year to pass the NPPE exam? or even if the board's decision is negative, I should pass the exam after the first decision?

mbshez

Nov 30, 2015
Calgary
Hi Guys, I have a question for you. I have not taken the NPPE Exam because I am waiting for the Board's decision and I have a year to take that exam. If they defer my application and ask for more experience or other exams, can I wait until I prepare the requirements and after their new decision will I have another year to pass the NPPE exam? or even if the board's decision is negative, I should pass the exam after the first decision?
You will have a year to pass the exam after a positive decision from the board whether it is now or later.

Surena

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
You will have a year to pass the exam after a positive decision from the board whether it is now or later.
Thanks, so if they differ it, I can wait until I get a positive decision and after the second decision (final decision), I have a year to take the exam. Is that right? I was reading previous comments regarding the engineering experience. Some people have had 12-18 years of experience and they could not get their P.Eng. It is frustrating. I have close to 4 years of foreign engineering experience, and my masters' was in Canada and 6 moths of experience in Canada under a P.Eng and close to 2 years of management experience that was not under a P.Eng. since they consider half of my masters as Canadian experience, do you think I have a chance to get my P.Eng? I am really stressed because my employer wants me to have my P.Eng ASAP :(

123settogo

Oct 19, 2018
My P.Eng application was deferred for 10 months because they approved less experience than I claimed. I completed my NPPE way earlier than 10 months. The advantage of taking the NPPE early is that you don't need to wait for register to the exam and wait for exam result - if you want the P.Eng asap.

Thanks, so if they differ it, I can wait until I get a positive decision and after the second decision (final decision), I have a year to take the exam. Is that right? I was reading previous comments regarding the engineering experience. Some people have had 12-18 years of experience and they could not get their P.Eng. It is frustrating. I have close to 4 years of foreign engineering experience, and my masters' was in Canada and 6 moths of experience in Canada under a P.Eng and close to 2 years of management experience that was not under a P.Eng. since they consider half of my masters as Canadian experience, do you think I have a chance to get my P.Eng? I am really stressed because my employer wants me to have my P.Eng ASAP :(

mbshez

Nov 30, 2015
Calgary
They probably didn't have the masters from a Canadian CEAB school. You should be fine, at the most they might ask for 6 months more under P.Eng at the max but that is very unlikely. I have known people who got their masters from Canada and none had to go for the FE exam.

skhzkausar

Star Member
Aug 4, 2008
Calgary
Application FeeComplete
Permanent Resident DocumentationComplete
NPP-ExamIncomplete6/21/2019 – This requirement does not need to be completed before the application deadline. Exam can be taken any time during the review process or after the Board’s decision. For more information, please refer to our website: https://www.apega.ca/apply/exams/national-professional-practice-exam-nppe/
Competency Based Assessment ToolComplete
ReferencesComplete
AffidavitComplete
Character DeclarationComplete
Internal ReviewCompleteJun 2020
Academic ExaminerCompleteJun 2020
Experience ExaminerCompleteJun 2020
Case to BoardIn ProgressJun 2020

Hi guys this is my time line. I have 17 years of experience and applied in December 2018. W ill appreciate greatly If someone can advise whether i should wait for BOE directive or proceed and write my exam.

Skomer

Sep 23, 2019
Application FeeComplete
Permanent Resident DocumentationComplete
NPP-ExamIncomplete6/21/2019 – This requirement does not need to be completed before the application deadline. Exam can be taken any time during the review process or after the Board’s decision. For more information, please refer to our website: https://www.apega.ca/apply/exams/national-professional-practice-exam-nppe/
Competency Based Assessment ToolComplete
ReferencesComplete
AffidavitComplete
Character DeclarationComplete
Academic ExaminerCompleteJun 2020
Case to BoardIn ProgressJun 2020

Hi guys this is my time line. I have 17 years of experience and applied in December 2018. W ill appreciate greatly If someone can advise whether i should wait for BOE directive or proceed and write my exam.
Take the exam as soon as you are ready. It’s not a difficult exam, but you’ll want to study first.

I don’t really see any benefit in waiting if you have the time to study for it now.

skhzkausar

Star Member
Aug 4, 2008
Calgary
Take the exam as soon as you are ready. It’s not a difficult exam, but you’ll want to study first.

I don’t really see any benefit in waiting if you have the time to study for it now.
Thanks Skomer. Should take the NPPE exam? or FE.

In your experience, do you think they will they consider me for FE?

Also I need some guidance in preparing for NPPE exam. Where i should get my material , where to prepare, how to study etc. I greatly appreciate your response.

Since I applied back in December 2018 , I didnt followed up on my application , recently upon logging in i found the above status. I hope it works out.

Skomer

Sep 23, 2019
Thanks Skomer. Should take the NPPE exam? or FE.

In your experience, do you think they will they consider me for FE?

Also I need some guidance in preparing for NPPE exam. Where i should get my material , where to prepare, how to study etc. I greatly appreciate your response.

Since I applied back in December 2018 , I didnt followed up on my application , recently upon logging in i found the above status. I hope it works out.
Definitely take the NPPE as soon as you’re ready. APEGA provides two recommend text books on their website, plus some other materials: https://www.apega.ca/apply/membership/exams/national-professional-practice-exam-nppe/study-materials
Some companies also offer courses.

I would wait to take the FE exam until you hear back from the BoE - shouldn’t be too long now! My understanding from reading this forum is that they sometimes waive the FE exam requirement if you have more than 10 years experience.

I graduated from a Canadian university, so I wasn’t required to take the FE exam, but I took it anyway just so I could work in the US if I ever decided to. The FE exam wasn’t especially hard fresh out of university, but 20 years down the line you’d probably have to study quite a bit, especially if you’re not in a design role. Best avoid that effort if you can.

Reactions: skhzkausar

Surena

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
My P.Eng application was deferred for 10 months because they approved less experience than I claimed. I completed my NPPE way earlier than 10 months. The advantage of taking the NPPE early is that you don't need to wait for register to the exam and wait for exam result - if you want the P.Eng asap.
Hi, could you please share how many years of international and Canadian experience you had that they differed your application? Thanks

Surena

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
Hi All, my application is going to the board this month. It’s been a year since I applied for my PEng. Can I update them with one more year of experience? Or I should wait for the board’s decision and cannot update my application before that?

mbshez

Nov 30, 2015
Calgary
My case went to board for June but received an email yesterday telling me my application has been approved pending NPPE exam and then next date is in september so another waiting game begins. Any advice for writing the exam? Is there any material you guys can share would be great! Thanks

mbshez

Nov 30, 2015
Calgary
Hi All, my application is going to the board this month. It’s been a year since I applied for my PEng. Can I update them with one more year of experience? Or I should wait for the board’s decision and cannot update my application before that?
From what I understand your application is closed for review, if the decision is negative you can ask for a review after the case decision has been reached.

Surena

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
My case went to board for June but received an email yesterday telling me my application has been approved pending NPPE exam and then next date is in september so another waiting game begins. Any advice for writing the exam? Is there any material you guys can share would be great! Thanks
Congratulations! It is awesome! Could you please share your years of experience (both Canadian and non-Canadian)? Was all of your experience under a P.Eng? what is your degree (Canadian or non-Canadian)? Thanks!