+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng APEGA (Professional Engineers of Alberta) review timeline

waitforcitizenship

Star Member
Mar 7, 2019
Hello Everyone,

Could someone please help me out with this ? I have a Masters in Geosciences from Canada and did my Undergrad from Pakistan. Actually i never applied for my GIT, since i have already got enough experience so i am looking forward to apply for P. Geo now. The question is, i am filling out the WES online application, on the "Documents Required" page it also mentioning me about my "Secondary School Marks Sheet and Certificate", i am wondering do i really need to send my Secondary School certificate documents to WES ?

ryan_m

Jan 28, 2018
My experience was accepted and they granted me 90 months of professional experience. They said that FE exam can be waived off if you have 10 years of high quality engineering experience. I am thinking to apply for reassessment of my experience since I don’t have time to prepare for FE unless I quit my current full time job.
i see, i heard stories like this which confirms the advise given to me by a senior friend. he told me to wait for at least 10 to 12 years Canadian experience on top of whatever international experience I have to make absolutely certain before applying if i dont want to take any exams (besides NPPE of course), as long as my education is acceptable.

in this case, i don't think they will change your assessment but you can try who knows. but you'll pay for the re-assessment, that's the only caveat

Krishna p

Feb 28, 2019
Hello everyone,

Can anyone guide me for P.Eng application. thank you in advance.
I have 3 years experience from consultant, India and one year from Canada.
is anyone have idea from friends and family who have same experience like mine. and if result come with require more experience and Is APEGA actually give time frame example -with in 2 years finished this much experience something like this or just says required more experience no matter one you finished???

I am eligible for P.Eng in June and after submit application I can register for NPPE.but what if i donot pass before application at final stage?does my application can refuse or they will give me decision or wait until my NPPE pass??
how many stage for application?
and any suggestion for NPPE exam?
new format for application submission?need suggestion for that too

no idea where to start.

Thank you in advance

ryan_m

Jan 28, 2018
Hello everyone,

Can anyone guide me for P.Eng application. thank you in advance.
I have 3 years experience from consultant, India and one year from Canada.
is anyone have idea from friends and family who have same experience like mine. and if result come with require more experience and Is APEGA actually give time frame example -with in 2 years finished this much experience something like this or just says required more experience no matter one you finished???

I am eligible for P.Eng in June and after submit application I can register for NPPE.but what if i donot pass before application at final stage?does my application can refuse or they will give me decision or wait until my NPPE pass??
how many stage for application?
and any suggestion for NPPE exam?
new format for application submission?need suggestion for that too

no idea where to start.

Thank you in advance
so you have 3 years experience in India plus 1 year in Canada - if I were you I wouldn't apply just yet. While it says in the website that you only need 4 years experience (which you think you have) but in reality I can almost say with certainty that you still do not have.

that 4 years experience would be enough maybe if you are a Canadian graduate AND you have gained all those experience IN CANADA and it is a high level or professional level experience NOT some paper pushing type of experience NOT some technologist level experience NOT some drafting or design experience. We are talking about professional engineering level experience.

My sources - myself as a past applicant, other people in this forum (read one guy here with 8 years experience but was told to take FE exam) and from my supervisors who advised me to have at least 10 years CANADIAN EXPERIENCE before applying if I wanted my application to go smooth without those technical and FE exams.

Hope that helps and sorry to disappoint but that how it works but you can apply who knows, after all it's your money to pay for the application.

Krishna p

Feb 28, 2019
first of all thank you really appreciate.

so you applied after 10 years experience?
I already pass FE when i applied for EIT.
Rightnow i am on very difficult stage so i need to know if my experience is okay or no for application so i can apply for different job.or appy for application and wait what APEGA ask more.do you have NPPE exam material?
as you have more knowledge what experience you should think i get before anything.
do you know if i can get assessment before application ?
thank you

ryan_m

Jan 28, 2018
first of all thank you really appreciate.

so you applied after 10 years experience?
I already pass FE when i applied for EIT.
Rightnow i am on very difficult stage so i need to know if my experience is okay or no for application so i can apply for different job.or appy for application and wait what APEGA ask more.do you have NPPE exam material?
as you have more knowledge what experience you should think i get before anything.
do you know if i can get assessment before application ?
thank you
way back 2013, I applied with only 5 or 6 years experience, just like you, thinking I already made it but no. they assigned me 5 more exams even after passing the FE. just like you I passed the FE before the decision was given but still it wasn't enough. at that time, I was told by apega representative that if I do not want to take any further exam, i probably wait until I have 18 years experience. lol

so i was pissed and let the application expired. i haven't applied again yet. i will probably apply again next year or so

to your question if you can get assessment before application - the answer is NO. they will not entertain you unless you submit a formal application and pay for it and wait about 1 year for the decision. that decision is the assessment itself.

123settogo

Oct 19, 2018
way back 2013, I applied with only 5 or 6 years experience, just like you, thinking I already made it but no. they assigned me 5 more exams even after passing the FE. just like you I passed the FE before the decision was given but still it wasn't enough. at that time, I was told by apega representative that if I do not want to take any further exam, i probably wait until I have 18 years experience. lol

so i was pissed and let the application expired. i haven't applied again yet. i will probably apply again next year or so

to your question if you can get assessment before application - the answer is NO. they will not entertain you unless you submit a formal application and pay for it and wait about 1 year for the decision. that decision is the assessment itself.
It is too late to say but you really should take the 5 more exams - if you can pass FE, the 5 more agepa exam is a piece of cake. It costly though.

ryan_m

Jan 28, 2018
It is too late to say but you really should take the 5 more exams - if you can pass FE, the 5 more agepa exam is a piece of cake. It costly though.

yea, i was thinking that way as well. i think i could pass them but recession came and all hell break lose. i've seen many P.Eng working in Canadian Tire and Walmart and some even to this day haven't been able to come back working in the industry. so on top that and the fact that I got laid off from work, it looks to me that the value of a P.Eng is not that great as I used to think.

ryan_m

Jan 28, 2018
5 more exams really??
is it this p.eng think become hard or it is like this before.i am so confuse now
i would say that the industry is getting more firm and increasing the standards. For example, way back before 2018, if you apply with ASET for a technologist certificate, you only need NPPE exam and the right experience and education. Now, they have added a technical exam on top of the existing requirements. Anyways, I took the exam and pass.

For APEGA, they have changed their process several times already since my last application in 2013. I can't tell if it made it more difficult or not. I will find out when I apply again.

If you really want to know for yourself, then go ahead and apply. That's the only way to find out for yourself.

Krishna p

Feb 28, 2019
i would say that the industry is getting more firm and increasing the standards. For example, way back before 2018, if you apply with ASET for a technologist certificate, you only need NPPE exam and the right experience and education. Now, they have added a technical exam on top of the existing requirements. Anyways, I took the exam and pass.

For APEGA, they have changed their process several times already since my last application in 2013. I can't tell if it made it more difficult or not. I will find out when I apply again.

If you really want to know for yourself, then go ahead and apply. That's the only way to find out for yourself.

so if you diidnot apply so what exams you pass?

ryan_m

Jan 28, 2018
so if you diidnot apply so what exams you pass?
like i said above, i applied way back 2013 and while they are reviewing my application I took and pass both FE exam and NPPE exam. I was thinking those are the only exams i need to pass cause I already have 6 years experience at that time (1 year Canadian). But, when assessment came out, they wanted me to take 5 more technical exams.