+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng APEGA (Professional Engineers of Alberta) review timeline

Mr. Xyz

Apr 5, 2019
Can you share you discipline and country of your education... did they assign you certain paper?[/QUOTE
Mechanical Engineering, Anna University , India
They asked me to write FE which means complete fundamentals of engineering. Do you live in edmonton

RH_V

Mar 7, 2019
Complete April 2019? Today is March 11, 2019.
If APEGA refused your application, you still have chance to appeal (ask for reassessment). It is also possible that the admin staff forgot to update the date for the experience review. There are currently nothing you can do. Just wait and see.
So I got my response and they have assigned me the FE exam. I asked for an explanation as to why and here is what they said:

"Under the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act of Alberta (EGP Act), the Board of Examiners has the authority in determining whether an applicant's experience is acceptable and determined that you did not have enough acceptable professional level experience to waive the FE. If you wish to request a reassessment, you will be required to re-submit your experience with additional details showing professional level engineering experience and demonstrating that sufficient application of engineering theory was present in your work. References would need to be provided to confirm the claimed experience. The application of engineering theory includes the professional application of mathematics, chemistry, physics, or a related applied subject that is aimed at the discovery, development or utilization of matter, materials or energy. The work experience details should demonstrate how you use engineering theory and calculations in performing specific engineering tasks. Technologist level experience is not considered professional level experience."

I have 12 years of experience so there are two options of what may have happened:

1) They indeed did not review my experience as I was afraid in my previous post.
2) They were not satisfied by the way I described my WER.

They are reviewing my file again and will let me know specifically what was the problem. I hope you guys had better luck!

syed1214

Jul 7, 2018
Apparently you are not the only one. I was also assigned the FE exam after putting up 8 years of professional experience. Now the hardest part is to prepare for it with full time job and family. I presented my engineering experience in the best possible way I could but nothing worked. Just throwing a question here for a brainstorming. What possible options I have to eliminate this exam? I do not have any objection on taking this exam but the time and kind of commitment require for this exam is overwhelming.

So I got my response and they have assigned me the FE exam. I asked for an explanation as to why and here is what they said:

"Under the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act of Alberta (EGP Act), the Board of Examiners has the authority in determining whether an applicant's experience is acceptable and determined that you did not have enough acceptable professional level experience to waive the FE. If you wish to request a reassessment, you will be required to re-submit your experience with additional details showing professional level engineering experience and demonstrating that sufficient application of engineering theory was present in your work. References would need to be provided to confirm the claimed experience. The application of engineering theory includes the professional application of mathematics, chemistry, physics, or a related applied subject that is aimed at the discovery, development or utilization of matter, materials or energy. The work experience details should demonstrate how you use engineering theory and calculations in performing specific engineering tasks. Technologist level experience is not considered professional level experience."

I have 12 years of experience so there are two options of what may have happened:

1) They indeed did not review my experience as I was afraid in my previous post.
2) They were not satisfied by the way I described my WER.

They are reviewing my file again and will let me know specifically what was the problem. I hope you guys had better luck!

Amysaa

Mar 4, 2019
Hi,

Everyone, I have applied for EIT via APEGA. I have not submitted any documents related to my work experience.
My application is currently showing this status,

Internal review ="waiting for documents"

What does it mean, since my educational credentials were already sent by WES and received by APEGA. Which documents are they waiting for?

Amysaa

Mar 4, 2019
In case if someone is assigned the FE exam. Can you take it anywhere in the world?
In case anyone has prepared for this exam, how did you prepare for it, is there any study material to revise?

Kh@ls@S1ngh

May 4, 2019
In case if someone is assigned the FE exam. Can you take it anywhere in the world?
In case anyone has prepared for this exam, how did you prepare for it, is there any study material to revise?
I was asked to write FE exam. I wrote the exam in Calgary. The exam be taken in many countries but not all. You can check the NCEES website to see where you can take this exam. You can take any discipline FE exam for APEGA. I wrote FE other discipline and passed in the first attempt. I would have spent about 80hours in total preparation.

Ehaskhu

Star Member
Mar 28, 2019
I was asked to write FE exam. I wrote the exam in Calgary. The exam be taken in many countries but not all. You can check the NCEES website to see where you can take this exam. You can take any discipline FE exam for APEGA. I wrote FE other discipline and passed in the first attempt. I would have spent about 80hours in total preparation.
Can you please share the sourse material or book you prepared your exam...

syed1214

Jul 7, 2018
Are you saying that you only prepared for 2 weeks for this exam? If you are fresh graduate then you might be able to prepare it in couple of weeks otherwise it will take at least couple of months to prepare for it (at least for myself). I am just studying the NCEES other discipline reference book and I feel it requires lots of commitment to study it thoroughly. I will appreciate any tip you may give to ace this exam.

prost80

May 9, 2019
Hello All,

I am new here! Hope you all good success.

I need advice, as I am confused. I have a B.Eng & M.Eng from outside Canada from Russia. I have 10 years experience in my profession. I have just gotten my PR but I am still working in Ghana currently. Is it better to apply for an EIT or P.Eng

Kh@ls@S1ngh

May 4, 2019
Are you saying that you only prepared for 2 weeks for this exam? If you are fresh graduate then you might be able to prepare it in couple of weeks otherwise it will take at least couple of months to prepare for it (at least for myself). I am just studying the NCEES other discipline reference book and I feel it requires lots of commitment to study it thoroughly. I will appreciate any tip you may give to ace this exam.
Well I graduated 12 yrs ago but fortunately I remembered stuff. I found the exam tests basic skills and simple logic and reference guide search to solve problems help cracking the exam. You do need to study all concepts and solve the questions to understand the pitfalls. You would know the kind of mistakes you can make and prevent those in exam. FE Other discipline exam is relatively easier. I still had to take this exam inspite of having 8years Canadian experience under a PEng with additional 4 years of international experience.

Kh@ls@S1ngh

May 4, 2019
Hello All,

I am new here! Hope you all good success.

I need advice, as I am confused. I have a B.Eng & M.Eng from outside Canada from Russia. I have 10 years experience in my profession. I have just gotten my PR but I am still working in Ghana currently. Is it better to apply for an EIT or P.Eng
Go for EIT if you don't have Canadian experience. Applying for P.Eng. would make sense if you have Canadian experience under a P.Eng.
Please seek second opinion as well.