+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Our Singapore timeline Vietnamese wife

M

mikeymyke

You said that place is right next to the Canadian consulate, yet it charges so much cheaper to translate, why would I need to go to the consulate then?

Oh by the way, your application took a long time to process, may I ask about the background of your relationship? Did you guys have any major red flags?

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-2013 [color=red][b]IN PROCESS[/b][/color]
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Sept-2013 [color=blue][b]DECISION MADE[/b][/color]
LANDED..........
Oct-2013 [color=green][b]COMPLETE[/b][/color]
mikeymyke said:
You said that place is right next to the Canadian consulate, yet it charges so much cheaper to translate, why would I need to go to the consulate then?

Oh by the way, your application took a long time to process, may I ask about the background of your relationship? Did you guys have any major red flags?
Yes really near the Canadian Consular about 2 minutes of walk. Canadian Consular may actually recommend you to go there which they did for us.

Well the only reason that I would use the Canadian consular is to have better odds on your side when providing documents e.g In your Application, instead of simply printing the photocopy of your wife's passport well you could make the consular validate/stamp that passport and ID photocopies are genuine which the other place cannot do and while you are there you will need to translate not so much documents around 5 documents (Marriage Certificate, ID of your wife, Police Clearance and maybe her House Book) so around 5 x 25$ = 125$ compared to 25$

I Believe that the difference of 100$ can actually save you time as VO may need to do less checking and save you maybe a couples of weeks or months (this is what I believe) so why not put better odds on your side for 100$?

From the time I first meet my wife "in-person" to marriage after 9 months. And I did visited her 2 times before marriage. (No engagement party) Both Families were there at Wedding (4 members of my family fly from Canada -> Vietnam). Had Honeymoon in Vietnam. (We really felt that we had a very strong case...)

From my CAIPS notes I could read that VO indicated our age difference (I am 8 years older than my wife), the language possible concerns since my wife cannot speak English nor French and finally our education difference: I have a University Degree and my wife did not finished high school and I included around 20 pictures. VO did noted my salary around 2700$/month back in 2010 -> INTERVIEW RECOMMENDED

It looks like when you are in Interview Queue you are doomed to an extra long wait but again my wife's friend who applied the same time had her interview after exactly 12 months later ... so maybe we were not lucky? )

M

mikeymyke

Even though you guys had a couple red flags, I was really surprised about that you got interview. Usually when parents from both sides of the family attend the wedding, that's creates a good solid case. I don't think 8 years difference is that big a gap. Were you guys introduced by a common relative/friend? Usually the VO's don't like it if your relative, who is a friend of your wife, introduces you two. Are you guys able to communicate, even she can't speak English or French?

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mikeymyke said:
Even though you guys had a couple red flags, I was really surprised about that you got interview. Usually when parents from both sides of the family attend the wedding, that's creates a good solid case. I don't think 8 years difference is that big a gap. Were you guys introduced by a common relative/friend? Are you guys able to communicate, even she can't speak English or French?
We were not introduced by anyone or meet on the Internet. My wife happens to be at one of my Family's friends house ** not a relative ** while I was traveling in Vietnam.

We do speak vietnamese together and I did add "vietnamese" as other language in the sponsor form but still remember in my CAIPS notes that VO noted how are we communicating if Applicant cannot speak english/french? I guess VO did not check that sponsor can speak also vietnamese :p

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
*** info sharing ***

For those who wonders what happens when your spouse received "in hand" their passport with visa inside:

1) Spouse gets one big envelop containing 3 items:
a) passport with visa inside (note that the picture is not on the visa but on the COPR -> Confirmation Of Permanent Residence).

b) 2 COPR documents (one is for CIC with picture to give to officer at Canadian Entry port and the second is a copy to keep without picture)

c) Document of CIC explaining what can invalidate a PR and what's next? Social Security Number, and Canadian Citizenship, etc...)

Hope this information can help other members.

M

mikeymyke

I think I realize why they noted your salary and that she cannot speak English/French, even you both can speak Vietnamese.

They probably think that because she cannot speak English, she won't be able to find a job, and your salary $2700/month is low (I'm assuming that's before taxes?), that she will likely go on social assistance. An applicant can be refused a PR if he/she is unable or not willing to work and has to go on social assistance.

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mikeymyke said:
I think I realize why they noted your salary and that she cannot speak English/French, even you both can speak Vietnamese.

They probably think that because she cannot speak English, she won't be able to find a job, and your salary $2700/month is low (I'm assuming that's before taxes?), that she will likely go on social assistance. An applicant can be refused a PR if he/she is unable or not willing to work and has to go on social assistance.
mikeymyke makes total sense and I did not thought about this. In the interview they did ask what my wife will do as a living but did not seems as important.

*** info sharing ***
My wife and I have landed in Canada this week and wanted to shared what is involved at the immigration entry port.

1) In the plane we received the usual Canada form where we entered who is traveling from where, when and usual question like did you bring stuff. (Here you enter your spouse as a person traveling with you ** living at the same address **)

2) At the customs entry port, they will detect that your spouse needs to go to the immigration section before exiting the custom section

3) We went at the immigration section where we waited our turn (a lot of agents so we did'nt wait) When we went at the counter, agent ask for passport to see visa and ask for COPR.

4) Agent will validate COPR information and ask spouse to SIGN COPR. Then agent will invalidate VISA in Passport and STITCH COPR into the passport and then will say something like "WELCOME TO CANADA" please not detach COPR from the passport until you receive PR card which will be sent to address within 6-8 weeks. Your spouse can now apply for Social Security Number

5) That's it! the whole process took 10 minutes!

6) ECAS changes Spouse Home Address to Canadian address once we have landed

Feels great and strange to have your spouse actually living in Canada with you but something that I wish for everyone here. Don't give up!

dnguy014

Mar 7, 2013
Congrats CanadaVietnam :) Funny you mention about it being weird living together, I'm wondering myself how it's going to be after being a bachelor for so long...

Thanks for sharing all this info, it is very helpful. Looking at your timeline, can't believe it took you nearly 3 years!

Dragoon

Star Member
Nov 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-APR-2011
Doc's Request.
17-JAN-2014
File Transfer...
07-MAY-2011
Med's Request
17-JAN-2014
Med's Done....
22-JAN-2014
Interview........
28-NOV-2013
Passport Req..
02-MAY-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-MAY-2014
LANDED..........
04-JUL-2014
So, my wife just got the 2nd interview letter today. They have scheduled it for November 28. I am planning to fly back to be there as well.

QPH

Star Member
Apr 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2011
File Transfer...
21-01-2012
Dragoon said:
So, my wife just got the 2nd interview letter today. They have scheduled it for November 28. I am planning to fly back to be there as well.
Good luck to you! May I ask when you got the 1st letter?

Dragoon

Star Member
Nov 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-APR-2011
Doc's Request.
17-JAN-2014
File Transfer...
07-MAY-2011
Med's Request
17-JAN-2014
Med's Done....
22-JAN-2014
Interview........
28-NOV-2013
Passport Req..
02-MAY-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-MAY-2014
LANDED..........
04-JUL-2014
First letter was dated Nov. 11, 2011 and we received it on Nov. 15, 2011. These VOs are abusing their time processing estimates to the maximum degree. There needs to be a hard date when paperwork needs to be done, so they cannot keep your paper in limbo.

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Dragoon said:
Finally Dragoon :)

My prediction is that your spouse will have VISA ISSUED around February 2014 (If Interview passed)
Good Luck and hope things go fine!

Dragoon

Star Member
Nov 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-APR-2011
Doc's Request.
17-JAN-2014
File Transfer...
07-MAY-2011
Med's Request
17-JAN-2014
Med's Done....
22-JAN-2014
Interview........
28-NOV-2013
Passport Req..
02-MAY-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-MAY-2014
LANDED..........
04-JUL-2014
canadavietnam said:
Finally Dragoon :)

My prediction is that your spouse will have VISA ISSUED around February 2014 (If Interview passed)
Good Luck and hope things go fine!
Thank you, my wife is getting all emotional and probably nervous. I'm feeling pretty giddy and nervous thinking about it as well. I hope it all goes well.

silver1968

Mar 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
12-08-2012
Med's Request
re-med on 12-03-2013
Med's Done....
orig med on 03-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2013
LANDED..........
15-05-2013
Congrats CanadaVietnam!! so happy to log in and see that you have landed.......great news :)

tuoicao

Star Member
Jul 10, 2012
vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-07-2012
Doc's Request.
07-2013
AOR Received.
03-10-2012 sencond time March 3 2016
Med's Request
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
07-2012 second time 28-03-2016
Interview........
12-01-2015//ADR jan 28 2016 WON!!
Passport Req..
19-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2016!! Passport received 23-06-2016
LANDED..........
07-29-2016
silver1968 said:
Congrats CanadaVietnam!! so happy to log in and see that you have landed.......great news :)

Hi silver

your process was fast. singapore received my application oct 3 2012 and i haven`t heard anything yet.