July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Sept-2013 [color=blue][b]DECISION MADE[/b][/color]
LANDED..........
Oct-2013 [color=green][b]COMPLETE[/b][/color]
Hi everyone,

Wanna let you guys know that my wife and I just went to IOM in HCM to drop passport.

1) IOM has two sections
a) for medical exam
b) for administrative work like sending passport and book plane tickets (we were indicated to go to counter number #11 for Canada, there is a little Canada Flag on the counter)

2) we presented IOM medical exam receipt (with picture) as well as CIC passport letter with Appendix "A", "B", "C" + 40$ USD + 4 photos + passport

3) The IOM person verified if everything is correct and not missing and after that prepared the "passport package to be sent to Singapore" and made some photocopies to give us as a receipt

4) The IOM person told us it should take 6 weeks to have back. That person told us that once they received passport back they will contact us with the phone numbers we have provided

The whole "drop passport" process took around 10 minutes

Will keep you guys updated

Thanks

M

mikeymyke

dont u just simply mail the passport to singapore vo rather than do this whole IOM thing?

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-2013 [color=red][b]IN PROCESS[/b][/color]
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mikeymyke said:
dont u just simply mail the passport to singapore vo rather than do this whole IOM thing?
I believe that we could have done that since it was mentioned in the letter page 2 but as in Appendix "B" which clearly stated that for Vietnam there seems to be only one option which was to go with IOM HCM or Hanoi? (this is a little bit tricky since in page 2 they said we can send by courrier but it is at our own risk and then in Appendix "B" only shows us the IOM option)

BTW, The IOM person seems to be used to do the "passport package thing" so we decided to follow CIC instructions and just execute as they says I guess so?

M

mikeymyke

ah ok i see, after u guys married, are u supposed to go to IOM to have ur vnese documents translated to english? also do they notarize and authenticate the docs at the IOM?

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mikeymyke said:
ah ok i see, after u guys married, are u supposed to go to IOM to have ur vnese documents translated to english? also do they notarize and authenticate the docs at the IOM?
For translation stuff there is a Notarized translator near Canada consular at Pasteur street which we went there.

We went to IOM for medical exam (part of list of official physician of CIC website for DMP) and to drop passport as indicated in CIC letter

All those places and IOM are very close to Canada consular so easy to walk from each place to another

@ mikeymyke when you guys will begin your wedding in Vietnam and prepare your application package you will see that there is a lot of going back and fourth and a lot of walking going on :) I don;t want to spoil your wedding and Application process experience but we can tell you that it's a lot of fun

M

mikeymyke

My wedding is on Dec 30. I have to bring a whole bunch of documents back to Vietnam from Canada, translated, notarized, legalized, etc. It's so stupid that some of these docs have a 3 month expiry (it's what the VNese government wants), and some of them take 2 months to be sent to me, so I'm trying to time it right.

Now I can see why they weren't kidding about how hard it is to get married over there.

etownboy

Feb 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2010
File Transfer...
in process 26-03-2010
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
Interview........
12 may 2011
canadavietnam said:
Hi everyone,

Wanna let you guys know that my wife and I just went to IOM in HCM to drop passport.

1) IOM has two sections
a) for medical exam
b) for administrative work like sending passport and book plane tickets (we were indicated to go to counter number #11 for Canada, there is a little Canada Flag on the counter)

2) we presented IOM medical exam receipt (with picture) as well as CIC passport letter with Appendix "A", "B", "C" + 40$ USD + 4 photos + passport

3) The IOM person verified if everything is correct and not missing and after that prepared the "passport package to be sent to Singapore" and made some photocopies to give us as a receipt

4) The IOM person told us it should take 6 weeks to have back. That person told us that once they received passport back they will contact us with the phone numbers we have provided

The whole "drop passport" process took around 10 minutes

Will keep you guys updated

Thanks

Congrats canadavietnam for the passport request. My wife sent hers about 10 days ago. Checked status today
And it changed to decision made.Wonder how long till she gets her pp back via IOM. I am planing to go pick
Her up in oct. Hope it will work out. :)

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks ETOWN.

I believe it's been a while we did not see you in this forum. Good to hear from you.

We have a member TAYCAOCO in this forum who says that he feels that his wife interview did not go well (see page 32) Can you help TAYCAOCO since TAYCAOCO may have to go throught what you have experienced?

Thanks

M

mikeymyke

Taycaoco said:
The interview of my wife took place this morning. I think it went wrong. They said that my wedding was held too soon after I met my wife (4 months after our first phone conversation).

They also asked why my mother did not come to our wedding. The reason is simple, she's the manager of a store and no one could replace her during the busy holiday season. But my father and my grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. were present.

They also said that I have not visited my wife often enough. *censored word*! Would they pay all my bills and the plane ticket and I would stay in Vietnam six months per year!

After the interview, they just said that my wife will receive a letter in 6 weeks. That's it.

That does not bode well... :( I've been married for almost 3 years now. How many years do I have to wait again? If our request is denied, I will go to appeal. We are wasting our best years of our lives. It's so unfair!
I'm very sorry your wife's interview seemingly didn't go well, but you also have to remember, the visa officer does not know you or your spouse, or your relationship history, what you did, etc, so it is you and your wife's job to convince them your marriage is genuine. In your case, I find that you do have quite a number of red flags:

-You proposed to her 1 month after first contact, and she accepted, without even meeting her in person yet. Proposal might be considered genuine, had she refused you and asked to meet you first before deciding

-You were not present during your engagement ceremony, which could make it seem you guys rushed it so that you could skip right to the wedding. Engagement ceremony might be considered genuine had you waited to do it when you came to Vietnam first.

-Your mom did not come to your wedding. You might say that because she's a manager that she is irreplaceable and has to stay to run her business. However, the VO might see that because she is a manager, she has the authority to decide when she can go on vacation, and in the case of her son getting married, which is a very important occasion for a mother, she should've had no problem taking the time off to go to your wedding.

-You didn't visit her enough times since the wedding (only one time over 2 years). I know on one of your posts you said, " Would they pay all my bills and the plane ticket and I would stay in Vietnam six months per year!". I don't think that's really a valid excuse for the VO, because if you really loved your wife, you would do everything to go see her as much as you can, maybe at least once a year is enough, even if it means working 2 jobs, for example. When I visited my fiance the past couple times, I already had a mortgage on a house, had to save up lots of $ for the wedding, gold jewellry, plane ticket, etc, I decided to work 2 jobs, for 8 straight months to save up for that. It's not like the VO is asking you to visit her every 2 months, you can definitely save up for at least once a year trip.

Personally, I think you should've waited to meet her in Vietnam first, it's very difficult to determine if a woman is the right life partner for you without seeing her in person, seeing what she is like, her mannerisms, how she behaves, etc. She can act differently to you over the phone than in person. I think had you waited to propose to her in Vietnam, have the engagement ceremony there (while you are in VN), and then set the wedding date for the next year, and then get married on your 2nd trip to Vietnam, then your application could've gone much more smoothly. You might have saved about a year by rushing the wedding, but now, because of the red flags, you will have to wait about 2+ years more, and it could even be a refusal in the end. It wasn't a good trade off, in my opinion.

You also mentioned:

"An appeal means that I have to wait 3 more years. That's insane. These *CENSORED WORD* have the power to destroy so many lives. Canada sponsoring laws are so stupids. They need immigrants to pay the pension benefits of their retired citizens. So any wedding should be accepted as long as the people are under 30. Because people under 30 will work until 67 years old. Genuine wedding or not, we don't care. They will work more than 30 years and pay taxes.

But more frustrating is that my marriage is genuine! Yes, I wed her only after 4 months, so what? Some people fall in love at the first sight and are still happily married after 60 years. And others divorce after 50 years together and a courtship of many years."
Yes its true some genuine marriages end up being turned down, but that's why it's our jobs as the sponsors to convince the VO otherwise. You have to admit, if you were in the VO's shoes, and looked at your own case, you'd be a little suspicious too no? Have you also considered that maybe your wife herself did poorly on the interview? Maybe she took too long to answer the questions, gave contradictory responses to what is on the application, etc. My best bet is that when the VO asked her, why did she accept your proposal so soon, she responded "Love is blind, I just had a good feeling about him, even I not met him before", and the VO was shaking his head and not buying it.

I'm not trying to be mean, because I too have a fiance I will marry this December, from vietnam, and I always feel bad whenever Vietnam applications get turned down. But I'm just trying to show you what the VO sees. I've read A LOT of Vietnamese cases on the canlii.org website, and all the refusal ones say the same things: quick proposal/marriage, either parent not present at wedding, not enough visits to applicant, wedding did not include street procession, or praying in front of grandparents' portraits, exchanging of gifts, etc. The Singapore VO usually encounters these things on cases they refuse.

I don't agree with you that any wedding should be accepted as long as the people are under 30. I, as a tax paying Canadian citizen, do not want someone to immigrate here by misrepresentation or fraud, regardless of age. If we keep letting in people immigrate here in an unlimited fashoin, just because they are married to a Canadian and under 30, we'd have way too many immigrants here, and I don't want to get into all the social consequences of that.

I don't care if they work and pay taxes, I'd rather have a real, genuine immigrant come here and pay taxes, than one who came here by marriage fraud and pays taxes. Because you know, the reason Singapore VO has such a long processing time, is because so many Vietnamese citizens commit marriage fraud, and that's a sad fact, because the #1 source of applications from Singapore VO, is Vietnamese family sponsorship. And as you can see, the Singapore VO has a very low visa issuance rate, only 73%. It's because of men/women who try to come here fraudulently, that real genuine spouses have to wait so long (26 month processing time). And because of that, I don't agree with you, that any one should be able to come here if they can pay taxes. I ONLY want genuine immigrants to come here.

etownboy

Feb 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2010
File Transfer...
in process 26-03-2010
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
Interview........
12 may 2011
canadavietnam said:
Thanks ETOWN.

I believe it's been a while we did not see you in this forum. Good to hear from you.

We have a member TAYCAOCO in this forum who says that he feels that his wife interview did not go well (see page 32) Can you help TAYCAOCO since TAYCAOCO may have to go throught what you have experienced?

Thanks
Hi canadavietnam. I seen his post, it's very unfortunate and sad, because I went thru that before. My wife's
Interview didn't go well at all as well. After the interview she called me and told me that she mite have Failed the interview and told me that we had to Wait 6 weeks for the decision letter. It was the worse feeling I have ever had. TAYCAOCO if u r reading this. As soon as the refusal letter arrived, File for appeal rite away and I suggest u get a lawyer although u can do it yourself. But I chose to hire a lawyer to help me with the battle. It cost me $4500 :( but i just wanna make sure my wife gets to join me here in canada. I am from Edmonton, I had to wait 1.5 yrs for the court. During this time, i tried to collect more proofs and evidence. I visited her 2 times during the waiting and 5 times total, about a month each time. I hooked up long distance plan and called her 2-3 times a week so I can have the phone bill. I got my buddy to write a letter for the judge saying that he met my wife when he was vacationing in Vietnam. Also I got my mom to write one as well saying that she attended the wedding and such. The judge was very nice, the lady from immigration was very nice as well (guess luck is finally on my side :) ). My lawyer asked me and wife a bunch of questions (lasted about 4 hrs total)that means at the end, the lady from immigration had very few questions to ask me and the wife.

Just be patient and it will all work out. Your marriage is legit so no worries. She will get get here eventually.
One last thing u should know is that my lawyer once told me that if i loss the appeal then its all finished. She can not apply ever again. So up to u if u wanna appeal or reapply. But I would say appeal it because ur marriage is legit and there were many family members of urs attended the wedding. U have a strong case.

Kbean

Star Member
Jan 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
File Transfer...
12-02-2013
Med's Request
14-01-2014
Med's Done....
1st:18-06-2012 2nd:20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 15th, 2014, PP sent April 2nd, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued May 2nd, 2014, Decision Made May 5th, 2014
LANDED..........
Landed
mikeymyke said:
-You were not present during your engagement ceremony, which could make it seem you guys rushed it so that you could skip right to the wedding. Engagement ceremony might be considered genuine had you waited to do it when you came to Vietnam first.
Engagement ceremony is not important anymore especially in city like Saigon. I know a few local couples who decided to skip the engagement ceremony all together and focused on the wedding instead.

Mrs Selim

Mar 6, 2013
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-3-2013
Interview........
May 28 2013 denied
Passport Req..
May 5 2015
VISA ISSUED...
May 12 2015
LANDED..........
May 31 2015

Dragoon

Star Member
Nov 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-APR-2011
Doc's Request.
17-JAN-2014
File Transfer...
07-MAY-2011
Med's Request
17-JAN-2014
Med's Done....
22-JAN-2014
Interview........
28-NOV-2013
Passport Req..
02-MAY-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-MAY-2014
LANDED..........
04-JUL-2014
These VOs have pre-conceived notions about each country. If you skip a step it's a red flag in their book. It is fuken ridiculous. In this day and age traditional customs are not always followed. VOs are very biased.

M

mikeymyke

Dragoon said:
These VOs have pre-conceived notions about each country. If you skip a step it's a red flag in their book. It is fuken ridiculous. In this day and age traditional customs are not always followed. VOs are very biased.
I read a couple cases on Canlii.org, where the VO was worried about a couple's age difference, but they were only 4 years apart ???

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hello everyone, ;D

I believe I am one of the last December 2010 applicant on this forum for this PR Canadian process. I was one of the unlucky people who got their wait longer (+22 months) due to Interview queue and now this long wait has come to an official **end**.

I received today the ultimate email from CIC saying the VISA of my wife is being stamped and issued in her passport today and we should pickup Passport on Monday at IOM in HCM.

If your are like us (waiting...) do not give up. I have been waiting for a total of 34 months (almost 3 years) but for some reasons thing got going "fast" once Interview scheduled on last July 2013.

Special thanks
I would like to thank all members here who did put their timelines available and give precious information on their cases which help us a lot to go through this process. Without you guys it would be boring.

Again thanks to everyone and wish that everyone here can have the same joy as us once we guys receive your own final letter :)