+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Our Singapore timeline Vietnamese wife

M

mikeymyke

Congratulations canadavietnam!!!

BTW, the statement in lieu non impediemnt marriage, Canada website says it takes 15 days to process it, but why do some people say it took 2 months? That's a big deal because if 2 months, I might not get the document in time before marriage.

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-2013 [color=red][b]IN PROCESS[/b][/color]
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Sept-2013 [color=blue][b]DECISION MADE[/b][/color]
LANDED..........
Oct-2013 [color=green][b]COMPLETE[/b][/color]
mikeymyke said:

BTW, the statement in lieu non impediemnt marriage, Canada website says it takes 15 days to process it, but why do some people say it took 2 months? That's a big deal because if 2 months, I might not get the document in time before marriage.
Thanks mikeymyke.

It took us 1 hour total.
a) We went directly in-person at the Canadian Consular in HCM (9th floor)
b) ask for that
c) paid I think 25$ USD
d) waited in the room while agent is doing something (probably the search)
e) and got it

M

mikeymyke

Why did it take so long to get an interview? After 26 months, aren't they supposed to fast track your application because that exceeded their service standards?

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mikeymyke said:
Why did it take so long to get an interview? After 26 months, aren't they supposed to fast track your application because that exceeded their service standards?
CIC explained me that time processing on the website which shows 26 months is for people **WITHOUT Interview** meaning that if Interview Waived it should not take longer than 26 month.

**BUT** if you are in Interview queue than you "simply" add +24 months from the date you receive the Interview #1 letter (the 26 months does no more apply to you and it is stated in the letter that this falls outside their normal processing time)

I believe that each case is unique and may not have same timeline for example my wife's friend got her Interview 12 months after Interview letter and us we have Interview 22 months later (and we have applied around same period of time) ... looks like a little bit of luck and perhaps random wait time?

Kbean

Star Member
Jan 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
File Transfer...
12-02-2013
Med's Request
14-01-2014
Med's Done....
1st:18-06-2012 2nd:20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 15th, 2014, PP sent April 2nd, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued May 2nd, 2014, Decision Made May 5th, 2014
LANDED..........
Landed
mikeymyke said:

When I applied for mine in 2012 it took about 30 business days. 15 days is a huge improvement.

dnguy014

Mar 7, 2013
canadavietnam said:
Hi everyone,

Wanna let you guys know that my wife and I just went to IOM in HCM to drop passport.

1) IOM has two sections
a) for medical exam
b) for administrative work like sending passport and book plane tickets (we were indicated to go to counter number #11 for Canada, there is a little Canada Flag on the counter)

2) we presented IOM medical exam receipt (with picture) as well as CIC passport letter with Appendix "A", "B", "C" + 40$ USD + 4 photos + passport

3) The IOM person verified if everything is correct and not missing and after that prepared the "passport package to be sent to Singapore" and made some photocopies to give us as a receipt

4) The IOM person told us it should take 6 weeks to have back. That person told us that once they received passport back they will contact us with the phone numbers we have provided

The whole "drop passport" process took around 10 minutes

Will keep you guys updated

Thanks
Thanks for the info! My wife is flying into Saigon this wknd to submit the final paperwork. I was hoping it would take sooner than 6 weeks (like 2 weeks), but in this case I will tell her better not stick around. Getting excited to book our tickets soon!

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
dnguy014 said:
Thanks for the info! My wife is flying into Saigon this wknd to submit the final paperwork. I was hoping it would take sooner than 6 weeks (like 2 weeks), but in this case I will tell her better not stick around. Getting excited to book our tickets soon!
Congratulations dnguy014!

If your wife is not from Saigon, I would also suggest her to not stick around (ours was 2 weeks later but other members have waited 4 weeks and more) because when everything is done they will notify you (email) or phone number you have provided in Appendix "B" so that way she can still enjoy her "last moments in Vietnam with her family as a normal vietnamese person" before becoming a "vietkeu" :p

Personally I would only book tickets once VISA is issued or if you are too exicited go with Eva Airline or Cathay Pacific they are flexible with changing dates :)

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
***Info sharing***

For those who wonders what ECAS looks like when DECISION MADE here's my wife's ECAS:

Permanent Residence

1. We received your application for permanent residence on xxx, 2011.

2. We started processing your application on xxx, 2013.

3. Interview scheduled for xxx, 2013.

4. Medical results have been received.

5. A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

ECAS timeline:
#2 has appeared 2 weeks after re-medical (status shows "IN PROCESS")
#3 has appeared 2 days after we received Interview Scheduled letter
#4 has appeared 3 weeks after re-medical
#5 has appeared 1 day after CIC Singapore contact us by email saying VISA is ISSUED and to pickup "DECISION MADE"

I noted that it seems that ECAS is being updated around Wednesday

Hope this information will help other members

dnguy014

Mar 7, 2013
canadavietnam said:
Congratulations dnguy014!

If your wife is not from Saigon, I would also suggest her to not stick around (ours was 2 weeks later but other members have waited 4 weeks and more) because when everything is done they will notify you (email) or phone number you have provided in Appendix "B" so that way she can still enjoy her "last moments in Vietnam with her family as a normal vietnamese person" before becoming a "vietkeu" :p

Personally I would only book tickets once VISA is issued or if you are too exicited go with Eva Airline or Cathay Pacific they are flexible with changing dates :)
Thank you!

Definitely getting anxious to book our tickets to go pick her up right away!

Does anyone happen to know which cities we can transit by without requiring a transit visa? From what I see for now, there is Hong Kong, Taiwan and possibly Japan...

M

mikeymyke

Congratulations everyone!

By the way, before marriage, I have to translate/legalize all my documents into Vietnamese, however the vn embassy in ottawa want to charge me $70 for each document! Can the legalization/translation be done in Vietnam? Or does it have to be done at vietnam embassy in ottawa?

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mikeymyke said:
Congratulations everyone!

By the way, before marriage, I have to translate/legalize all my documents into Vietnamese, however the vn embassy in ottawa want to charge me $70 for each document! Can the legalization/translation be done in Vietnam? Or does it have to be done at vietnam embassy in ottawa?
It does not need to be translated from vietnam embassy of ottawa (of course if you have the money and time you can do it there).

Documents can also be legalized/translated in HCM at the official notarized translated company on Pasteur street near the Canadian Consular between "Highland Coffee" and the "big park" on your left (if not sure where it is .. just go at Consular Canadian and they gonna tell you where it is ..about 2 minutes walk from Canadian Consular).

It will cost you around 100 000 VND (5$) per document and takes 1-2 days to translate. (Personally I would simply suggest you to do it in Vietnam ... because you will have to translate your Marriage Certificate anyways in Vietnam, we did that and as you can see, we have visa issued with no problems at all meaning CIC never asked us to redo or resend any documents translated/legalized we have sent from Vietnam translated place)

@ If you decide to do it in HCM go early in the morning something like 8:00 AM

M

mikeymyke

I wanna make sure, we are talking about translating from English > Vietnamese, so that we can submit the documents to register for our marriage, right? It would suck if I were to go to Vietnam with my notarized/authenticated documents, only to realize that they will not accept documents that weren't translated into Vietnamese by the Ottawa embassy.

I know to go from Vietnamese > English (for when we submit our PR application), we can go to the IOM office.

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mikeymyke said:
I wanna make sure, we are talking about translating from English > Vietnamese, so that we can submit the documents to register for our marriage, right?

I know to go from Vietnamese > English (for when we submit our PR application), we can go to the IOM office.
Yes, they do both "English -> Vietnamese" and "Vietnamese -> English"

@ I would also suggest you to do the application while you are in Vietnam so all stuff that needs to be signed by your wife and translated documents are done and ready to be submitted once you will return in Canada.

I remember to have missed one page that my wife did not signed and she had to send me back that page and it took 1 month (Vietnam -> Canada) to send by Post

M

mikeymyke

Thanks so much for the info! I'm going to phone the Canadian consulate office now in Saigon to verify they can translate documents both english <-> vietnamese. We plan on collecting our proofs, evidence, and completing our application while in Vietnam, but we cannot submit it until I return to Canada and collect the FBI fingerprints.

By the way, I'm very very very happy for you guys!

canadavietnam

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2010
AOR Received.
Jan-2011
File Transfer...
Feb-2011
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
July-2013
Passport Req..
Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mikeymyke said:
Thanks so much for the info! I'm going to phone the Canadian consulate office now in Saigon to verify they can translate documents both english <-> vietnamese. We plan on collecting our proofs, evidence, and completing our application while in Vietnam, but we cannot submit it until I return to Canada and collect the FBI fingerprints.

By the way, I'm very very very happy for you guys!
Thanks mikeymyke! We have been waiting so long... (we are going to take the plane to Canada next week ... soooOOO HaaaAAApppy :) )

Yes while you are going to be in Vietnam, the idea is to collect as much as possible evidence and mostly have documents signed by your wife.

BTW Canadian Consular can translate/documents they will charge you something like 20$ - 25$ per document. If you have the cash I would do it at the Canadian Consular in HCM since it's gonna be stamped by the Canadian Consular but the other place that I have mentionned also does the job