+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permits not being approved even when meeting eligibility criteria

abeagomez

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hello @TuAnh, as @CanUK333 already mentioned, I don't think this is the right thread for you. As you probably noticed already, this is a thread for people who submitted an OWP application along with their PR application and haven't received their OWP on the basis that they didn't meet certain eligibility criteria. That's far off of being your situation. The goal of this forums is for people who have been into similar situations to advice and support each other. I recommend you to look for a thread that matches better your current situation, where you will be able to find better advice. Cheers! and good luck! ;)

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
FYI, in light of the positive IRCC correspondence sent to @abeagomez about their OWP, I too submitted another webform following up on my OWP with a complete history of my Web form details and emails to my MP on this matter. That was on May 7.

Today, May 14, I received the following response (spoiler alert, it's the same as a previous response, not another ineligibility rejection but saying they'll forward my information on--bolding is by me) :

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided regarding your work permit application and have forwarded it to the responsible office.

They will contact you if further information is required or if a decision is made on your application.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Sophie, agent 3405
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

I'm tired of getting the runaround. I don't even know if things will change much post-COVID, so I'm just going to cool it on chasing my OWP, while still trying to stay optimistic about the whole process. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

• Wow
Reactions: abeagomez

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
FYI, in light of the positive IRCC correspondence sent to @abeagomez about their OWP, I too submitted another webform following up on my OWP with a complete history of my Web form details and emails to my MP on this matter. That was on May 7.

Today, May 14, I received the following response (spoiler alert, it's the same as a previous response, not another ineligibility rejection but saying they'll forward my information on--bolding is by me) :

We verified the information you provided regarding your work permit application and have forwarded it to the responsible office.

They will contact you if further information is required or if a decision is made on your application.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Sophie, agent 3405

I'm tired of getting the runaround. I don't even know if things will change much post-COVID, so I'm just going to cool it on chasing my OWP, while still trying to stay optimistic about the whole process. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Hey...on a positive note they didn't mention COVID delays in the message...hahaha

I totally understand your frustration, I'm doing the exact same thing by taking a step back. I will still report every update though here if and when I get any. The only course of action that we can take now would be to ask the MP to escalate the matter to the minister of immigration. This step was eluded to in my last conversation with our MP office here...she said something along the lines of "we don't want to have to go down the next route of contacting the minister". But I feel that my situation, although deeply troubling and costly, doesn't warrant going all the way to the minister (may change my mind later on haha).

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020

Sincerely,

Sophie, agent 3405

That is so frustrating. I'm so sorry to hear. At least it's been forwarded, I guess? Hopefully you'll hear back shortly, and it'll be a positive response!

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

BB802

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
Freinds ircc responded to the MP and suggest I submit a new application, hmmmmmmm this is super frustrating after 6months of submission, should I submit a new printout forms or I should resubmit the photocopies of the old forms, and they requested for my original documents per my country's specification. Now left with just copies of it and this also means I have t loo go for a new police clearance certificate or what, pls I need an advice.
Thank you.
So sorry to hear that. So frustrating.

BB802

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019

Sincerely,

Sophie, agent 3405

There is a cetain point where it does more harm than good (mentally). I am also waiting on a response from my MP and apart from that I wont be chasing up any more webforms on the matter. (at this point).

However if an MP suggests taking it to the minister I would encourage that. The generic responses from IRCC without providing actually reasons specific to the case is unacceptable. Its not good enough for an officer to sit on someones file without taking action or to provide specific reasons in writing on what the issue is. The minister should know of the IRCC's shortcomings so the system can improve going forward. Importantly somebody needs to be held accountable. If that means going all the way to the minister so that the responsible officer for the case actually deals with it then so be it.

If anyone gets the option to take this to the minister then for all our sakes and future applicants), please do it.

I spent 6 years working in Indonesia. I though permit processes were bad there, but in comparison its better. Its transparent and your employer can always find out what the delay is or what stage the application is at. Usually an envelope full cash helped, and while I done think corruption is a good idea at least things got done.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
There is a cetain point where it does more harm than good (mentally). I am also waiting on a response from my MP and apart from that I wont be chasing up any more webforms on the matter. (at this point).

However if an MP suggests taking it to the minister I would encourage that. The generic responses from IRCC without providing actually reasons specific to the case is unacceptable. Its not good enough for an officer to sit on someones file without taking action or to provide specific reasons in writing on what the issue is. The minister should know of the IRCC's shortcomings so the system can improve going forward. Importantly somebody needs to be held accountable. If that means going all the way to the minister so that the responsible officer for the case actually deals with it then so be it.

If anyone gets the option to take this to the minister then for all our sakes and future applicants), please do it.

I spent 6 years working in Indonesia. I though permit processes were bad there, but in comparison its better. Its transparent and your employer can always find out what the delay is or what stage the application is at. Usually an envelope full cash helped, and while I done think corruption is a good idea at least things got done.
Perhaps you are right. How are they going to know something isn't working if they are never told. That's why I'm wondering if it is the same officer who is doing this to all of us? It would be interesting to compare agent/officer's ID if we all got our GCMS notes. Because my OWP app isn't even in the system yet I can't get the gcms notes for it yet but when I do it would be worth us all getting them and checking to see if it's the same agent/officer who dealt us this sh*tty hand.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
I rang my MP again today and no news yet but they were going to contact the IRCC rep again today and hopefully push them along to getting some answers.

I asked her how exactly she contacts them because I was worried they just send a webform like us. She told me that she doesn't get to speak to or email a specific person per sae, instead they email a department that acts as a go between for MPs and the office directly working on the application. Can you believe that they have a WHOLE department dedicated to dealing with MPs inquiries into immigration cases?!!! That just goes to show you how common this is!!!

Anyway, so NO they do not just submit a sh*tty webform, which is good. But they do have to go through a middle-man and it could be a different person every time they email. This person then contacts the officer directly who is working on our file.

So, because every time the MP contacts this department and it may be a different person they speak to, I would advise that if you don't get the answer you're looking for the first time, get the MP to reach out to them again. Different person = Different results (that seems to be how IRCC works haha).

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Update: Yesterday my MPs office rang me to tell me (without me even having to request or suggest this) that they have contacted the Minister himself to look into my OWP! They explained my situation to him and the urgency of getting it sorted i.e. we both cannot work so we're living off of savings, newborn baby, etc. He said he was going to contact the office handling our case personally and get to the bottom of it.

I mean...wow! Apart from Trudeau himself looking into this, this is pretty big! If anyone can get some answers it'll be him!

I imagine with the long weekend and employees working from home etc, that I probably won't hear back for a week or two. I will let you guys know ASAP when I do.

Fingers crossed.

However, now I'm kinda of nervous that i've rocked the boat....my case officer is probably going to hate me now that I've put them on the Minister's naughty list...eeeeek....they're going to spit on my application haha

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Update: Yesterday my MPs office rang me to tell me (without me even having to request or suggest this) that they have contacted the Minister himself to look into my OWP! They explained my situation to him and the urgency of getting it sorted i.e. we both cannot work so we're living off of savings, newborn baby, etc. He said he was going to contact the office handling our case personally and get to the bottom of it.

I mean...wow! Apart from Trudeau himself looking into this, this is pretty big! If anyone can get some answers it'll be him!

I imagine with the long weekend and employees working from home etc, that I probably won't hear back for a week or two. I will let you guys know ASAP when I do.

Fingers crossed.

However, now I'm kinda of nervous that i've rocked the boat....my case officer is probably going to hate me now that I've put them on the Minister's naughty list...eeeeek....they're going to spit on my application haha
I am doing the happy dance for you! Can't wait to hear what the Minister and MP's office says. Happy Victoria Day weekend!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Fingers crossed.

The Minister wouldn’t be looking into directly or personally , if anything, maybe someone in his office will investigate . And there isn’t a whole department that takes MP’s issues . I used to work for EI. If a MP rep called , the call would just be transferred off to another internal # .

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

adusafoa01

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Hey, I'm so sorry about that. That means they probably can't find your application and your process would be starting from 0. Do you have any receipt proving your application was received by IRCC? If you don't, you should probably take measures as, if your application was never received, anyone with access to that file has enough information to steal your identity (or your partner's)
That said, you will probably need all the originals you submitted the first time, as they can't find your application, even if it's their fault I don't think they will process a new case without the requested documents. One thing you could do is: submit a new application using the photocopies, with a letter of explanation about what happened to you, explaining you are waiting for the new originals. The immigration officer reviewing your case can make the decision of opening your application without the requested originals, or return your application.... that's up to the officer.In any case, you will have to provide new originals... I don't think there's a way out from that.
Thank you very much for your suggestion

adusafoa01

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
My heartbreaks for you :( Sorry to hear this my friend. It seems as if your application was lost. Like abeagomez asked, do you have any post office receipt or tracking number for when you sent the application? Unfortunately, without proof of sending it you will have to resubmit and yes your process will start all over again and probably take quite a bit longer than 12 months now due to COVID. What did your MP say about it, did they have any other suggestions? I know my MP said if they don't get answers they'll contact the minister of immigration about it. In other words, could you ask your MP if you can escalate this further to the minister's office? Because this is a serious problem if all of your original documents are missing!

I agree with abeagomez, if I were in your shoes I'd quickly print off copies of the documents (remember to print and hand sign forms again), I'd include the original payment receipts as well (I'm not sure if application payments expire or not after a certain period of time? You may need to look into whether you can still use the same payment receipts or if you have request a refund and re-do them). Basically send a full copy of your original application with a lengthy letter explaining what happened and that original documents are on the way. What this will hopefully do is get your application file opened and in the system. Then they will no doubt send a letter requesting originals which you can then submit. They may return your application without starting a file and ask for originals but it's still worth a try because you've got the copies and have nothing to lose. But starting TODAY you need to order original copies from your home country. This will take quite a long time so start ASAP!
Thank you very much, ircc said they will use the receipt of the old application, but it will be very difficult for me to request for an other original documents from my home country because it will take time.
Am very disappointed so I think am going to submit the copies of the old application which is already outdated.
Because it's more than 190 days.

Reactions: CanUK333

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020

Fingers crossed.

Wow, props to your MP for being so proactive about it! I really hope it pans out for you guys. We were consumed with stress when my boyfriend had to stop working in October due to the OWP situation, but I can't even imagine how you guys must feel currently...! Sending good vibes your way, and hopefully you get a positive response soon!

Reactions: CanUK333