Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Hi Guys, So we submitted a web-form a month-and-half back for the update on OWP and this is the response we got. The Application was submitted on Jan 27 2020 and AOR is March 19 2020. My Spouse 6 months got done on June 10 2020 and we already have applied her extension on May 10 2020.

Good day XXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Since we know that sponsoring or being sponsored by your spouse or common-law partner is an important event in your life, we want to ensure that you have all the information and tools at your disposal to make this process as easy and enjoyable as possible.
As of December 22, 2014, open work permits may be issued to eligible applicants under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class at an earlier stage in processing if they meet certain criteria. We verified the information on file. However, it has been determined that you do not meet the eligibility criteria. we do meet the criteria!

Your application for the open work permit remains valid and will be processed once your sponsorship application is approved in principle.

The processing times indicated on our website are approximate, and can vary with each individual case.
Rest assured that we are aware of how important this next stage in your life is and that we are committed to processing your application as quickly as we can.
For more information on what to expect after a sponsorship application was submitted, please consult our website.
We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.
We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,
Tharcisse, agent 9999
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

The posts in forum suggested the implied status is considered acceptable for processing OWP but the mail suggests otherwise - the IRCC Contact Centre agent said implied status is good as well.. We also called IRCC Contact Center 3-4 times in-between, after this mail, but the agent every time says they do not see any notes on the file and just confirm the case is yet to be processed. We are a bit concerned as we see February 2020 applicants have started to get their OWP approved (almost half of them) and we being Jan 2020 applicants has not got our OWP approved.

We know the purpose of OWP is already killed as it is already 8 months and we are hoping in next 3-4 months we will get PR done as IRCC is already processing November 2019 applicants and December 2019 applicants have started receiving medical requests. But, even if it is 3-4 months we would like that time. According to you guys, what are the options we have here?
Hi! You've come to the right thread. Your situation is exactly like mine, although I am an October applicant. Since we're so far along in the PR application process with no OWP yet, it's tough to know what to do. As I see it, here are your options:

1) You can escalate the issue up to your MP's office.
  • Email or call them and explain the situation. Stress if the situation is making it hard on you financially. I believe this helped several people receive an OWP. Unfortunately it didn't help my case, but my MP's office was very nice and responsive.
2) You can cancel the OWP application at any point. It may result in a full or partial refund of the OWP application fees
  • Cancel now/soon OR
  • Cancel when you have AIP
    • Even though OWP is supposed to be granted with AIP, we know IRCC doesn't move that quickly so your cancellation may or may not be valid
    • Of course this is hedging your bets that COPR follows very shortly afterwards (as it has been to recent applicants), as she not be able to get a permanent SIN until you have the COPR letter
3) You can just wait it out
  • IRCC is on a roll lately with processing PR applications, so maybe your AIP will come sooner rather than later. And in case there's a delay in receiving COPR, you'll have the OWP and temporary SIN to start work
I know these aren't very appealing options, and I think you've probably thought them through as well, but this is something that has been weighing on my mind heavily over the past 6 months too. Anyone reading this please jump in if you have any other suggestions!

Reactions: abhijeets13

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Update: Shortly after replying to @abhijeets13 above, I decided to submit another Webform asking about the status of my OWP. I was not expecting much, and was not let down. Today I received the "We can confirm your application is being processed but due to COVID we are unable to give an estimate on timing, etc. ..." email.

SIGH.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Update: Shortly after replying to @abhijeets13 above, I decided to submit another Webform asking about the status of my OWP. I was not expecting much, and was not let down. Today I received the "We can confirm your application is being processed but due to COVID we are unable to give an estimate on timing, etc. ..." email.

SIGH.
Wow. That is a crazy long wait given pre-COVID-19 timelines. Sorry - that must really suck.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Wow. That is a crazy long wait given pre-COVID-19 timelines. Sorry - that must really suck.
It does, thanks. I don't know why there are a few of us they won't give OWPs too, even though we met all the requirements and paid all the fees, etc.

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
I wanted to close the loop on my situation for anyone that may be reading this in the future.

I never received my work permit. Not at AIP, not after CORP. The application is still showing as "Submitted" in my GCKey, even though I've tried to cancel it.

After submitting several webforms asking about its status, and even escalating the issue to my MP's office (they were very nice but IRCC blew them off after a couple inquiries, too), there was never any visible movement on my OWP. I receive the answer of "You will be granted an OWP at AIP" in response to my first Webform, which was the catalyst to this thread being started. Seems like a handful of us received this unprecedented answer. Most people here ended up receiving an OWP, but myself and a few others that I know of for sure, did not. I received AIP on September 25. I did not trust that I'd be issued an OWP as promised, and knew DM and COPR were probably following shortly thereafter based on the rate IRCC was working through applications at the time. Sure enough, I had COPR 3 days later. The day I received COPR, I applied for a SIN online. I figured that would take about a week, and then once I had that, I'd cancel my OWP. Unfortunately my SIN took 8 weeks to come since it was referred to the National Identity Services (NIS), but once I received it, I sent in a Webform request to cancel my OWP application and receive a refund. The response was that they'd mark the file as requested to be cancelled by me for the next agent that touched it to see. So I have no idea what will happen. Any major updates (like I'm actually refunded all or part of the $255 fee), I'll come back and let everyone know. I'm just hoping they aren't still withholding anyone's OWPs for no reason at all, like they did ours.

On a "funny" note, I also submitted a Visitor Extension application back in April. Another $100. I tried to cancel that application after receiving COPR. Same as my OWP, they said they'd flag the file. It's still open on IRCC's end. *sigh*

Reactions: armoured