+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permits not being approved even when meeting eligibility criteria

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Got another response from last week's web form saying that they have sent my request for more information to the appropriate office and they acknowledged the correspondence from my MP and that too has been forwarded to the appropriate office and that my application will be reviewed shortly. :rolleyes: Here's the email:

"We have verified the information you provided and can confirm that the agent who responded to you on April 8, 2020, took the appropriate actions to follow up on your request.

We wish to thank you for your patience and to inform you that we also received the enquiry from your member of parliament on April 27, 2020, and it has also been forwarded to the responsible office.

Your file should be reviewed shortly.

Moreover, due to the ongoing situation related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), some IRCC offices are currently operating with reduced or critical staff only.

We are working on processing applications as quickly as possible; however, processing times are affected and any disruption caused by COVID-19 is not reflected accurately on our website.

Rest assured that you will be informed as soon as a decision is reached or if additional information is needed.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry."

So here's my gripe. First off, they didn't respond as to WHY my application has not been started. Secondly, I don't like how they say I won't be contacted unless a decision has been made or additional information is needed...so that basically means I never get to ask anyone what's going on! Lastly, and most annoyingly, how they word the fact that they also received an "inquiry" from my MP. If the MP actually emailed an actual person (Hello Jane, can you help me look into xyz) to ask them to look into it, like I thought they did, you wouldn't think that the web form agents would even know or have it in their system as an official "inquiry". The wording makes it sound like the MP just submitted a web form also..."WE also received an inquiry"???!!! God I hope the MP didn't just sent a web form!!!!

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Thanks to abeagomez for telling me about another status update link to check:
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/viewcasestatus.do

I logged in using the Sponsor information and could see the sponsor status update. However, noticed that it suggested further information about "Sponsoring spouse OUTSIDE of Canada"!!! I submitted an IN Canada application!!!! If IRCC thinks my spouse is outside of Canada then that would explain the no OWP.

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020

I logged in using the Sponsor information and could see the sponsor status update. However, noticed that it suggested further information about "Sponsoring spouse OUTSIDE of Canada"!!! I submitted an IN Canada application!!!! If IRCC thinks my spouse is outside of Canada then that would explain the no OWP.

I check this Client Application Status (CAS) page frequently, along with my GC Key. I log in with my husband's/sponsor's info, so then I can see the status of his Sponsorship application, as well as my PR application in one place. Both say "In Process." They've never changed.

These links also appear below my info, and I too submitted an Inland app. Not worried since they just seem to be listing links for every spousal sponsorship scenario:

The following tables will help you understand the status of your application.

Reactions: CanUK333

b4evergrace

Star Member
May 31, 2019

I'm sorry you're having these problems :(

b4evergrace

Star Member
May 31, 2019
I check this Client Application Status (CAS) page frequently, along with my GC Key. I log in with my husband's/sponsor's info, so then I can see the status of his Sponsorship application, as well as my PR application in one place. Both say "In Process." They've never changed.

These links also appear below my info, and I too submitted an Inland app. Not worried since they just seem to be listing links for every spousal sponsorship scenario:

The following tables will help you understand the status of your application.
Mine says the same.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

abeagomez

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hey everyone! Today I got a response from CIC that, for the first time, looks like written by a real person o_O

I suddenly got an email from IRCC that I wasn't expecting (they had already replied all my web forms), announcing that the email stating that I don't meet the criteria for the OWP was a mistake, and apologizing for it!:

Good day ___PA NAME___

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We are contacting you to follow up on the email we initially sent you on April 8, 2020. Its content was incorrect. We wish to provide you with the correct information and offer our apologies. The correct information is as follows:

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that your application is still in process.

All the required documents and information have been received by the responsible office for the moment. In the meantime, no decision has been taken regarding your eligibility.

We have verified the information you provided and can confirm that the agent who responded to you on April 17, 2020, took the appropriate actions to follow up on your request.

Due to the ongoing situation related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), some IRCC offices are currently operating with reduced or critical staff only.

We are working on processing applications as quickly as possible; however, processing times are affected and any disruptions caused by COVID-19 may not be reflected accurately on our website. We will make all the necessary efforts to finalize your application as soon as possible.

Rest assured that you will be informed as soon as a decision is reached or if additional information is needed.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We will ensure that the necessary steps are taken to avoid this situation in the future.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.
At least this gave me some hope today and, as several people in this group, the response "you didn't meet the eligibility criteria" was just a random response someone decided to send. I'm so happy that somebody actually read the content of my messages and gave me a real response!

Just to remind you my timeline:

09-12-2019:Application for PR and OWP received by CIC.
07-04-2020:My husband submitted a webform requesting information on the status of my OWP application.
08-04-2020: CIC agent responded that after reviewing my application it was determined I don’t meet certain criteria to get my OWP before we are approved in principle, list of criteria was provided.
08-04-2020: After reviewing the list of criteria provided, my husband submitted a 2nd form providing proof that I met all the requirements at the moment we submitted our application and asking feedback on which specific criteria IRCC considered I didn’t meet.
14-04-2020: CIC agent responded they couldn’t provide that information to my husband.
14-04-2020: I re-submitted the same enquiry on my own behalf.
17-04-2020: CIC agent responded the information I provided was forwarded to the agent reviewing my case. Still didn’t explain what criteria I didn’t meet.
22-04-2020: I called IRCC by phone asked to the agent what criteria I didn’t meet. Agent said, quote: “I’m looking at your application in the system right now, and I can’t see any notes on it, or any information stating you don’t meet the eligibility criteria. Who told you that?”

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Hey everyone! Today I got a response from CIC that, for the first time, looks like written by a real person o_O

I suddenly got an email from IRCC that I wasn't expecting (they had already replied all my web forms), announcing that the email stating that I don't meet the criteria for the OWP was a mistake, and apologizing for it!:

At least this gave me some hope today and, as several people in this group, the response "you didn't meet the eligibility criteria" was just a random response someone decided to send. I'm so happy that somebody actually read the content of my messages and gave me a real response!

07-04-2020:My husband submitted a webform requesting information on the status of my OWP application.
08-04-2020: CIC agent responded that after reviewing my application it was determined I don’t meet certain criteria to get my OWP before we are approved in principle, list of criteria was provided.
08-04-2020: After reviewing the list of criteria provided, my husband submitted a 2nd form providing proof that I met all the requirements at the moment we submitted our application and asking feedback on which specific criteria IRCC considered I didn’t meet.
14-04-2020: CIC agent responded they couldn’t provide that information to my husband.
17-04-2020: CIC agent responded the information I provided was forwarded to the agent reviewing my case. Still didn’t explain what criteria I didn’t meet.
22-04-2020: I called IRCC by phone asked to the agent what criteria I didn’t meet. Agent said, quote: “I’m looking at your application in the system right now, and I can’t see any notes on it, or any information stating you don’t meet the eligibility criteria. Who told you that?”
:D YAY! Finally some good news, this is awesome!

b4evergrace

Star Member
May 31, 2019

So glad for you! I'm sure it will all work out. :)

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020

Yeah, that is called ECAS. It's similar to your regular GCKEY account, except it's supposedly updated daily instead of instantly like GCKEY. I rarely check it for that reason.

Mine has been stuck on this since December:

1. We received [boyfriend]'s application for permanent residence on August 2, 2019.
  2. We sent [boyfriend] medical instructions on December 8, 2019. To avoid delays, please provide us with the information requested as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
We reached out to our MP (again) yesterday, she sent an enquiry to have them look into it.

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020

I'm happy things panned out for you! It's crazy how many people got rejected based on absolutely nothing. Good on you for being proactive!

adusafoa01

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
You mean they're done with OWP applications for those months...not PR right because PR applications seem to be stuck for September applicants onward. Unfortunately, if we haven't received our OWP by now then they thought we didn't meet the criteria in some way and we have to wait until AIP....unless.....our hard work and pushing with our MPs and web forms can get us some answers and get them to review our situations again as this is bull sh*t in my opinion.

We never got AOR for the PR app, we had to ring IRCC and ask for our application number...it was only then that we could use the app number to link online, so you can try that (although nearly impossible to get through on the phone right now). Once we linked online we could see the "Date received" on the right. We were told by a call centre agent (who usually makes things up) that not every agent sends an official AOR..but who knows if that's true.

Also try linking by various methods, UCI number, Passport, Place of Birth, I can't remember the different options but try all you can as I've heard some people can't link by one way but try another and it works.

If you have postal proof of them receiving your application I'd contact your MP via phone first and explain your situation then I'd email the MPs office a copy of the postal receipt and get them to look into it on your behalf and request your application number.

If you don't have a proof of postage and can't get an app by calling IRCC, I would still go the MP route as there isn't much you as an individual can do.
Thank you friends for your support, am very grateful.
I have already contacted my MP so we are waiting on him.

Reactions: CanUK333

adusafoa01

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Got another response from last week's web form saying that they have sent my request for more information to the appropriate office and they acknowledged the correspondence from my MP and that too has been forwarded to the appropriate office and that my application will be reviewed shortly. :rolleyes: Here's the email:

"We have verified the information you provided and can confirm that the agent who responded to you on April 8, 2020, took the appropriate actions to follow up on your request.

We wish to thank you for your patience and to inform you that we also received the enquiry from your member of parliament on April 27, 2020, and it has also been forwarded to the responsible office.

Your file should be reviewed shortly.

Moreover, due to the ongoing situation related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), some IRCC offices are currently operating with reduced or critical staff only.

We are working on processing applications as quickly as possible; however, processing times are affected and any disruption caused by COVID-19 is not reflected accurately on our website.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry."

So here's my gripe. First off, they didn't respond as to WHY my application has not been started. Secondly, I don't like how they say I won't be contacted unless a decision has been made or additional information is needed...so that basically means I never get to ask anyone what's going on! Lastly, and most annoyingly, how they word the fact that they also received an "inquiry" from my MP. If the MP actually emailed an actual person (Hello Jane, can you help me look into xyz) to ask them to look into it, like I thought they did, you wouldn't think that the web form agents would even know or have it in their system as an official "inquiry". The wording makes it sound like the MP just submitted a web form also..."WE also received an inquiry"???!!! God I hope the MP didn't just sent a web form!!!!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm the web form is so annoying that they have nothing positive to offer but keep saying we have varified your file and nothing positive as to where your files is not known and even the status, am thinking the MP also contact the web form agents who has no idea of our files.

They tell the MP the same thing they say to us.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM

This DOES give us hope because it shows that someone at IRCC is bothered about fact checking and looking into a potential error like this. Someone has contacted the office where our OWPs are being processed and has looked into your case and found the information incorrect. This is progress. Let's hope they do the same with ours.

Hopefully it raises a red flag in the office where officers start looking at all of our other cases. You'd think after a while the office would be like "listen people, we've gotten half a dozen requests from MPs this month and countless messages from applicants about their OWPs not being approved...what's going on? Let's look into this!"

The downside....they still didn't tell you WHY your OWP wasn't approved within the 4 month window...which is even more puzzling now if they admit you DID meet the criteria! It explicitly states online that if you meet all the criteria you will be approved with your OWP within 4-5months......so what's happening???......:rolleyes:

Reactions: BB802

abeagomez

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
This DOES give us hope because it shows that someone at IRCC is bothered about fact checking and looking into a potential error like this. Someone has contacted the office where our OWPs are being processed and has looked into your case and found the information incorrect. This is progress. Let's hope they do the same with ours.

Hopefully it raises a red flag in the office where officers start looking at all of our other cases. You'd think after a while the office would be like "listen people, we've gotten half a dozen requests from MPs this month and countless messages from applicants about their OWPs not being approved...what's going on? Let's look into this!"

The downside....they still didn't tell you WHY your OWP wasn't approved within the 4 month window...which is even more puzzling now if they admit you DID meet the criteria! It explicitly states online that if you meet all the criteria you will be approved with your OWP within 4-5months......so what's happening???......:rolleyes:
Well, in that case I know the answer. My application was received on Dec 9th, they are still giving the OWPs to Dec 4th applicants this week, they haven't reach Dec 9th yet. The 4 months window is not true anymore because of the delays due to covid 19. I submitted the web form in the first place just to check on the status of my application, I was actually expecting a response like "we haven't reviewed your application yet" but I got the "you didn't meet the criteria" response instead, which drove me totally crazy! Now I have to wait, I guess sometime in the next 3 weeks they will approve the OWPs application from Dec 9th applicants and then I will know for sure...

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Well, in that case I know the answer. My application was received on Dec 9th, they are still giving the OWPs to Dec 4th applicants this week, they haven't reach Dec 9th yet. The 4 months window is not true anymore because of the delays due to covid 19. I submitted the web form in the first place just to check on the status of my application, I was actually expecting a response like "we haven't reviewed your application yet" but I got the "you didn't meet the criteria" response instead, which drove me totally crazy! Now I have to wait, I guess sometime in the next 3 weeks they will approve the OWPs application from Dec 9th applicants and then I will know for sure...
Well this IS good news for you then! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your OWP comes soon.

• Love
Reactions: abeagomez