+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permits not being approved even when meeting eligibility criteria

abeagomez

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
I just want to give you guys some hope, there's a chance that they will reply your web forms providing useful information. In my case, with every new web form I sent, I also sent as attachment a PDF file with all my previous communication with IRCC like:

- 1st Web Form submitted: (web form body)
- 1st Response form IRCC: (response body)
- 2nd Web Form submitted... and so on

Plus another PDF showing proof of my current status in Canada. I also have a PDF which contains all the information needed to verify my file: the same information the agents ask you at the phone to verify your identity.

I got a response after clearly stating in my request that I had received opposite answers about my OWP from 2 different agents, and requested clarification on the matter... I guess that to answer that request someone actually had to look into it, just to be able to say which statement was true...

I'm sharing all this just in case it could be useful to someone here :)

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
I just want to give you guys some hope, there's a chance that they will reply your web forms providing useful information. In my case, with every new web form I sent, I also sent as attachment a PDF file with all my previous communication with IRCC like:

- 1st Web Form submitted: (web form body)
- 1st Response form IRCC: (response body)
- 2nd Web Form submitted... and so on

Plus another PDF showing proof of my current status in Canada. I also have a PDF which contains all the information needed to verify my file: the same information the agents ask you at the phone to verify your identity.

I got a response after clearly stating in my request that I had received opposite answers about my OWP from 2 different agents, and requested clarification on the matter... I guess that to answer that request someone actually had to look into it, just to be able to say which statement was true...

I'm sharing all this just in case it could be useful to someone here :)
That is actually super helpful, great tip. Thanks. I will do the same thing from now on.

BB802

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
Thanks to abeagomez for telling me about another status update link to check:
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/viewcasestatus.do

I logged in using the Sponsor information and could see the sponsor status update. However, noticed that it suggested further information about "Sponsoring spouse OUTSIDE of Canada"!!! I submitted an IN Canada application!!!! If IRCC thinks my spouse is outside of Canada then that would explain the no OWP.

Ours says the same thing! outside Canada WTF???

• Sad
Reactions: PrincessButtercup

TuAnh

Apr 28, 2020
This DOES give us hope because it shows that someone at IRCC is bothered about fact checking and looking into a potential error like this. Someone has contacted the office where our OWPs are being processed and has looked into your case and found the information incorrect. This is progress. Let's hope they do the same with ours.

Hopefully it raises a red flag in the office where officers start looking at all of our other cases. You'd think after a while the office would be like "listen people, we've gotten half a dozen requests from MPs this month and countless messages from applicants about their OWPs not being approved...what's going on? Let's look into this!"

The downside....they still didn't tell you WHY your OWP wasn't approved within the 4 month window...which is even more puzzling now if they admit you DID meet the criteria! It explicitly states online that if you meet all the criteria you will be approved with your OWP within 4-5months......so what's happening???......:rolleyes:
I guess the whole process is frustrating for everyone. Just want to ask everyone when we submitted the PR application with the request for OWP, do we have to submit the OWP form? I ticked on the box that I want an OWP and paid the fee but didn't fill in the form so there is no response for that. Today I check on the web and the status has changed to DECISION MADE. I applied on paper in Aug 2019 and received email for Eligibility passed & process completed in Mar 13, 2020. The email also asked to wait for the appointment arrangement from Etobicoke but then nothing has happened since then. As my student permit will expire in Jun 30, I plan to apply for PGWP just in case the PR process gets caught in this crazy covid. I feel like I am so close now that if I decide to apply for PGWP I have to pay another $250... Btw, my linked account shows nothing about decision made. They only have the last letter they sent me about Eligibility passed. Should I wait another few weeks?

Reactions: Akarshit

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
I guess the whole process is frustrating for everyone. Just want to ask everyone when we submitted the PR application with the request for OWP, do we have to submit the OWP form? I ticked on the box that I want an OWP and paid the fee but didn't fill in the form so there is no response for that. Today I check on the web and the status has changed to DECISION MADE. I applied on paper in Aug 2019 and received email for Eligibility passed & process completed in Mar 13, 2020. The email also asked to wait for the appointment arrangement from Etobicoke but then nothing has happened since then. As my student permit will expire in Jun 30, I plan to apply for PGWP just in case the PR process gets caught in this crazy covid. I feel like I am so close now that if I decide to apply for PGWP I have to pay another $250... Btw, my linked account shows nothing about decision made. They only have the last letter they sent me about Eligibility passed. Should I wait another few weeks?
This isn't really the correct thread to ask your question so you may find a more detailed answer elsewhere. But long story short, if you received a "decision made" on your PR you are only a couple months away from receiving your PR card so applying for a PGWP is pointless. It would take WAY longer to apply and get a PGWP than wait for your PR card, especially with the COVID delays. Save your money and wait for the PR card to come. Yes, you may run out of your student permit but I'm almost positive a new application for a PGWP would take way longer to come through.

If you didn't send the OWP form and supporting documents and pay upfront for the work permit application then you won't get one. Simply ticking the box and paying the fee wasn't enough...you needed to include the form.

I'm not familiar with student visas but can you extend it? You ARE allowed to remain in Canada if you are out of status as you wait for your PR card to come. Being out of status won't affect your PR application at this point, but you won't be able to work or attend school.

adusafoa01

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Freinds ircc responded to the MP and suggest I submit a new application, hmmmmmmm this is super frustrating after 6months of submission, should I submit a new printout forms or I should resubmit the photocopies of the old forms, and they requested for my original documents per my country's specification. Now left with just copies of it and this also means I have t loo go for a new police clearance certificate or what, pls I need an advice.
Thank you.

abeagomez

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Freinds ircc responded to the MP and suggest I submit a new application, hmmmmmmm this is super frustrating after 6months of submission, should I submit a new printout forms or I should resubmit the photocopies of the old forms, and they requested for my original documents per my country's specification. Now left with just copies of it and this also means I have t loo go for a new police clearance certificate or what, pls I need an advice.
Thank you.
Hey, I'm so sorry about that. That means they probably can't find your application and your process would be starting from 0. Do you have any receipt proving your application was received by IRCC? If you don't, you should probably take measures as, if your application was never received, anyone with access to that file has enough information to steal your identity (or your partner's)
That said, you will probably need all the originals you submitted the first time, as they can't find your application, even if it's their fault I don't think they will process a new case without the requested documents. One thing you could do is: submit a new application using the photocopies, with a letter of explanation about what happened to you, explaining you are waiting for the new originals. The immigration officer reviewing your case can make the decision of opening your application without the requested originals, or return your application.... that's up to the officer.In any case, you will have to provide new originals... I don't think there's a way out from that.

TuAnh

Apr 28, 2020
This isn't really the correct thread to ask your question so you may find a more detailed answer elsewhere. But long story short, if you received a "decision made" on your PR you are only a couple months away from receiving your PR card so applying for a PGWP is pointless. It would take WAY longer to apply and get a PGWP than wait for your PR card, especially with the COVID delays. Save your money and wait for the PR card to come. Yes, you may run out of your student permit but I'm almost positive a new application for a PGWP would take way longer to come through.

If you didn't send the OWP form and supporting documents and pay upfront for the work permit application then you won't get one. Simply ticking the box and paying the fee wasn't enough...you needed to include the form.

I'm not familiar with student visas but can you extend it? You ARE allowed to remain in Canada if you are out of status as you wait for your PR card to come. Being out of status won't affect your PR application at this point, but you won't be able to work or attend school.
Thanks CanUK333. Sorry to mess up with the thread. I don't think I can stay out of the status while waiting for PR because I need to have a legal status to remain in Canada. I have to apply to extend my stay or apply for another temporary resident visa (study or work permit) to have implied status. The benefit of applying for PGWP is I can start working fulltime right away while waiting for the decision made. Extending my stay already costs $100 and I am not allowed to work fulltime as student or visitor. I guess I will wait for a week or so to see if there is any clearer document on the PR status.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Thank you.
My heartbreaks for you :( Sorry to hear this my friend. It seems as if your application was lost. Like abeagomez asked, do you have any post office receipt or tracking number for when you sent the application? Unfortunately, without proof of sending it you will have to resubmit and yes your process will start all over again and probably take quite a bit longer than 12 months now due to COVID. What did your MP say about it, did they have any other suggestions? I know my MP said if they don't get answers they'll contact the minister of immigration about it. In other words, could you ask your MP if you can escalate this further to the minister's office? Because this is a serious problem if all of your original documents are missing!

Hey, I'm so sorry about that. That means they probably can't find your application and your process would be starting from 0. Do you have any receipt proving your application was received by IRCC? If you don't, you should probably take measures as, if your application was never received, anyone with access to that file has enough information to steal your identity (or your partner's)
That said, you will probably need all the originals you submitted the first time, as they can't find your application, even if it's their fault I don't think they will process a new case without the requested documents. One thing you could do is: submit a new application using the photocopies, with a letter of explanation about what happened to you, explaining you are waiting for the new originals. The immigration officer reviewing your case can make the decision of opening your application without the requested originals, or return your application.... that's up to the officer.In any case, you will have to provide new originals... I don't think there's a way out from that.
I agree with abeagomez, if I were in your shoes I'd quickly print off copies of the documents (remember to print and hand sign forms again), I'd include the original payment receipts as well (I'm not sure if application payments expire or not after a certain period of time? You may need to look into whether you can still use the same payment receipts or if you have request a refund and re-do them). Basically send a full copy of your original application with a lengthy letter explaining what happened and that original documents are on the way. What this will hopefully do is get your application file opened and in the system. Then they will no doubt send a letter requesting originals which you can then submit. They may return your application without starting a file and ask for originals but it's still worth a try because you've got the copies and have nothing to lose. But starting TODAY you need to order original copies from your home country. This will take quite a long time so start ASAP!

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Thanks CanUK333. Sorry to mess up with the thread. I don't think I can stay out of the status while waiting for PR because I need to have a legal status to remain in Canada. I have to apply to extend my stay or apply for another temporary resident visa (study or work permit) to have implied status. The benefit of applying for PGWP is I can start working fulltime right away while waiting for the decision made. Extending my stay already costs $100 and I am not allowed to work fulltime as student or visitor. I guess I will wait for a week or so to see if there is any clearer document on the PR status.
As far as I know you are allowed to remain in Canada while you await your PR card even though you are not in legal status. You can search the forum here about it but I'm almost positive that you can do that. You just won't be able to leave the country, work, or study. I would advise to extend your current student visa again as this is relatively simple and quicker than a new PGWP. I know you won't be able to work full-time but it's better than nothing. Like I mentioned a new PGWP application would probably take over 6months at this point to come through! And a new PGWP doesn't give you implied status when you send the application anyway (only the OWP submitted at the time of the PR app gives you implied status as far as I know).

Reactions: b4evergrace

b4evergrace

Star Member
May 31, 2019
I agree with Canuk. Applying for an extension on your Study permit would be quicker and will still give you implied status until a decision is made. Ya you wont be able to work but you will be safe and in status while waiting for everything to finished being processed.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You needed to actually send the form.

To completely disagree with the others above, there is really zero point in applying for a study permit extension; after receiving confirmation of program completion, which will likely be soon if you finished in April, you won't be allowed to work AT ALL. It could still be months before you become a PR.

Apply for the PGWP as soon as you can so that you can at least start working full-time. If you land as a PR before the PGWP is approved, you can withdraw the app and possibly get a refund if they haven't started processing it yet.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As far as I know you are allowed to remain in Canada while you await your PR card even though you are not in legal status. You can search the forum here about it but I'm almost positive that you can do that. You just won't be able to leave the country, work, or study. I would advise to extend your current student visa again as this is relatively simple and quicker than a new PGWP. I know you won't be able to work full-time but it's better than nothing. Like I mentioned a new PGWP application would probably take over 6months at this point to come through! And a new PGWP doesn't give you implied status when you send the application anyway (only the OWP submitted at the time of the PR app gives you implied status as far as I know).
Implied Status isn't limited to inland spousal apps. Any temporary resident who submits any extension app prior to their current status expiring, whether it be as a worker, student or visitor, gets Implied Status. The only situation in which someone wouldn't have Implied Status is when the extension app is rejected as incomplete, leaving them out of status as of the original expiry. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

The poster is here as a student. Applying for the PGWP would not only give them Implied Status beyond study permit expiry but also the immediate right to work full-time.

Reactions: CanUK333