+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario OHIP eligability: Open Work Permit Employment Letter Guidelines

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Guys,

Hope you are safe!
Not sure if I will still get a reply but posting my current situation here.
So, I graduated from an Ontario university this year and applied for PGWP in April and that is still in implied status. I have been living in Ontario since the past 1.5 years. I got. job at an MNC in Montreal (but they have just one office in Canada, which is in Montreal), but at present I cannot move to Montreal because of COVID and would continue to work from Ontario till the near future. I need to apply for OHIP as I am living in Otario only, my employer is providing me with a letter stating that I will be working temporarily from home in Ontario and will have my Ontario address mentioned on the letter, just want to know will there be an issue in me getting OHIP in this case ? As I can only provide my Work permit application acknowledgement which we receive on the IRCC portal? I also have received an ITA and shall be submitting my documents for PR soon, so can provide that document as well... Any responses in this case shall be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Your employer will need to provide a letter indicating that you will be working in Ontario for at least 6 months. There are lots of people moving so covid isn’t a current reason not to relocate to Montreal. I could understand up to June but that is no longer the case.

reezam

Feb 1, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I got my PGWP last month and I have a job as well, almost a month now. I want to apply for my first Health Card ? What is the procedure ? Do they entertain online applications as well or is it just in-person ?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I got my PGWP last month and I have a job as well, almost a month now. I want to apply for my first Health Card ? What is the procedure ? Do they entertain online applications as well or is it just in-person ?

Thanks
You have the ability to go online but you must show a letter from your employer indicating that you will be employed for over 6 months so in person would be better. Someone has posted what exactly the letter needs to contain.

Reactions: reezam

reezam

Feb 1, 2019
You have the ability to go online but you must show a letter from your employer indicating that you will be employed for over 6 months so in person would be better. Someone has posted what exactly the letter needs to contain.
Appreciate your response. Thank you

ymok

Sep 3, 2020
Hello folks, my question pertains somewhat to the original post. My gf finished her co op work placement in May and has since graduated. She's still under an implied status since her PGWP still hasn't come through, likely being pushed back due to Covid. Our question is: is she eligible to apply for OHIP right now? She has been working full time for the same employer where she did her co op. Will her working full time during co op count towards the 6 month requirement or is she 2 months short since her implied status started right after her PGWP application in late May?

Edit: She's called Service Ontario twice and both times they seem confused and not very knowledgeable with regards to this. She'd rather not miss work and go to a location and line up for hours (possibly) just to be denied.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello folks, my question pertains somewhat to the original post. My gf finished her co op work placement in May and has since graduated. She's still under an implied status since her PGWP still hasn't come through, likely being pushed back due to Covid. Our question is: is she eligible to apply for OHIP right now? She has been working full time for the same employer where she did her co op. Will her working full time during co op count towards the 6 month requirement or is she 2 months short since her implied status started right after her PGWP application in late May?

Edit: She's called Service Ontario twice and both times they seem confused and not very knowledgeable with regards to this. She'd rather not miss work and go to a location and line up for hours (possibly) just to be denied.
She doesn’t qualify for OHIP as someone on implied status. She needs to prove she will remain in the job for 6 months when she applied for OHIP.

mike93

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
Hey guys,

I am about to apply for OHIP and got my employment letter from my current employer. They've mentioned that they will never say "we will keep him for at least 6 months" as my employment is permanent and full time, and they don't need this "liability". Therefore, I am curious about what exact wording Service Ontario expects in the letter? Is it enough to say that "He works from July 2020 till Present as a full-time employee"?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hey guys,

I am about to apply for OHIP and got my employment letter from my current employer. They've mentioned that they will never say "we will keep him for at least 6 months" as my employment is permanent and full time, and they don't need this "liability". Therefore, I am curious about what exact wording Service Ontario expects in the letter? Is it enough to say that "He works from July 2020 till Present as a full-time employee"?
No
The letter must mention per the OHIP site

This must be an original document (contract or letter) on employer company letterhead signed and dated by the employer and state:
that the employee is working full-time
the title/occupation of the position
that the employee will be working for the company within Ontario
the start date of employment, and
that the employer intends to employ the employee for a minimum of six (6) months (the letter can state the employee is permanent. However, this does not replace the criteria to confirm “Full Time”)

Reactions: canuck78

nps_121283

Nov 10, 2020
I don’t know how to explain it other than what I have told you and what I’ve been told. My immigration lawyers advised me I would be eligible to apply for a work permit if my TRP was good for longer than 6 months. So when the TRP was issued for 2 years we applied for the work permit. I was in Canada when the TRP and work permit were issued. I did not get the work permit at the same time as the TRP. I can only advise what I know. Does it have anything to do with me having a wife and kids in canada? Does it have anything to with being approved for PR and I did not land? I really don’t know how I was entitled other than knowing I had a TRP issued for longer than 6months. Any other reasons for being eligible or entitled bets me. I appreciate your time and guess you are unable to advise on my original question about self employment letter to satisfy OHIP requirements. TIA
Hi..did you do a letter for that self employment?

hbaig27

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
So from a lot of these responses, it sounds like the condition of "are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months" isn't that relevant.

You can work for a remotely for an employer outside of Ontario as long as you are physically in Ontario?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So from a lot of these responses, it sounds like the condition of "are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months" isn't that relevant.

You can work for a remotely for an employer outside of Ontario as long as you are physically in Ontario?
Yes you’ll need to prove that you are a resident of Ontario (lease, deed,utility bills, etc.) and you’ll be working remotely permanently from Ontario. If so then you should be able to get OHIP. You will need to look at the terms of any extended benefit plan you are getting one from an employer. It looks like your employer is based in Quebec and RAMQ covers more than OHIP so there may be some differences in coverage versus extended benefit plans from an Ontario employer.

hbaig27

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
Yes you’ll need to prove that you are a resident of Ontario (lease, deed,utility bills, etc.) and you’ll be working remotely permanently from Ontario. If so then you should be able to get OHIP. You will need to look at the terms of any extended benefit plan you are getting one from an employer. It looks like your employer is based in Quebec and RAMQ covers more than OHIP so there may be some differences in coverage versus extended benefit plans from an Ontario employer.
Great, thank you! So a Quebec employer's insurance plan should cover me to some extent in Ontario? Or will they have to make special provisions to get Ontario-specific coverage for me?

I'm not too familiar with how employer insurance works and whether it's nation-wide.

Thanks for your response :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Great, thank you! So a Quebec employer's insurance plan should cover me to some extent in Ontario? Or will they have to make special provisions to get Ontario-specific coverage for me?

I'm not too familiar with how employer insurance works and whether it's nation-wide.

Thanks for your response :)
You’ll need to look at the extended benefit plan if you have one. Usually tailored to the province where the employer is located so you’ll need to see whether there is any impact if you are in Ontario.

Reactions: hbaig27

JayaK0909

Star Member
Feb 8, 2021
Hey guys! I am in a similar situation. I quit my job and I found a new job (full-time) for an agency that is in Montreal but it is FULLY remote and hence I will be working from home. (Ontario) if my employer states in that letter that I am fully working remotely from Ontario. Will that be enough? This is a permanent position.

hbaig27

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
Hey guys! I am in a similar situation. I quit my job and I found a new job (full-time) for an agency that is in Montreal but it is FULLY remote and hence I will be working from home. (Ontario) if my employer states in that letter that I am fully working remotely from Ontario. Will that be enough? This is a permanent position.
It was enough for me, I got OHIP.

Reactions: Aamaaan and Eng_Col