+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario OHIP eligability: Open Work Permit Employment Letter Guidelines

Cycy4444

Jan 8, 2019
Yes you’ll need to prove that you are a resident of Ontario (lease, deed,utility bills, etc.) and you’ll be working remotely permanently from Ontario. If so then you should be able to get OHIP. You will need to look at the terms of any extended benefit plan you are getting one from an employer. It looks like your employer is based in Quebec and RAMQ covers more than OHIP so there may be some differences in coverage versus extended benefit plans from an Ontario employer.
Hi @canuck78 it seems that you are well versed in this topic. I wonder if my situation would stand a chance to be eligible for OHIP.
I hold an OWP (my husband is an international student) and I am full time employed by a US based company. I work remotely in Ontario and I am taxed against my income because the company outsourced the payroll here in Canada. They can provide me with a reference letter stating all that is required but it is uncertain to me if I lose eligibility on the basis of my employer not being an Ontario employer? Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @canuck78 it seems that you are well versed in this topic. I wonder if my situation would stand a chance to be eligible for OHIP.
I hold an OWP (my husband is an international student) and I am full time employed by a US based company. I work remotely in Ontario and I am taxed against my income because the company outsourced the payroll here in Canada. They can provide me with a reference letter stating all that is required but it is uncertain to me if I lose eligibility on the basis of my employer not being an Ontario employer? Thanks
Not sure how this will be addressed. I would think you should qualify for OHIP if you are paying taxes especially only Canadian taxes not a mixture of US and Canadian taxes. Do you have a WP for the US?

Cycy4444

Jan 8, 2019
Not sure how this will be addressed. I would think you should qualify for OHIP if you are paying taxes especially only Canadian taxes not a mixture of US and Canadian taxes. Do you have a WP for the US?
Thank you for your response! I called ServiceOntario twice and had 2 different answers so I would probably just give it a go and then try to appeal if it gets declined. And no sir, I do not hold a US WP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your response! I called ServiceOntario twice and had 2 different answers so I would probably just give it a go and then try to appeal if it gets declined. And no sir, I do not hold a US WP.
How are you working for your US employer then? How is your employment structured? Who appears as your employer on your T4 for example?

Cycy4444

Jan 8, 2019
How are you working for your US employer then? How is your employment structured? Who appears as your employer on your T4 for example?
The employer on record is the US company. They have a CRA business registration number so they were able to outsource the payroll through ADP Canada thus I am taxed in Canadian.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The employer on record is the US company. They have a CRA business registration number so they were able to outsource the payroll through ADP Canada thus I am taxed in Canadian.
Essentially you are working for the Canadian division of the employer if they have a CRA# and not the US employer.

Cycy4444

Jan 8, 2019
Essentially you are working for the Canadian division of the employer if they have a CRA# and not the US employer.
This is really an interesting point @canuck78 . Thank you. But our HR said that what is registered on the CRA papers is just the company's US address. There is no Canadian division or separate entity. Could that be possible? My HR is quite new and so am I so I am not sure what questions or documents to ask in order to work this out...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is really an interesting point @canuck78 . Thank you. But our HR said that what is registered on the CRA papers is just the company's US address. There is no Canadian division or separate entity. Could that be possible? My HR is quite new and so am I so I am not sure what questions or documents to ask in order to work this out...
If you don’t hold a US work permit you can’t work as a salaried employee of a US entity. Doesn’t sound like you are self-employed so you must be working for the US company’s Canadian entity (entity may not be the right term).

aquibjafer

Aug 9, 2022
Hello All,

Regarding OHIP, I have a job offer in hand. However, it starts next month. Can i still go now and apply for OHIP? or should i wait till my job starts?

Also, will i be able to use the benefits immediatly after i get my ohip confirmation? or do i need to wait for few days? months?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

Regarding OHIP, I have a job offer in hand. However, it starts next month. Can i still go now and apply for OHIP? or should i wait till my job starts?

Also, will i be able to use the benefits immediatly after i get my ohip confirmation? or do i need to wait for few days? months?

Thanks in advance
Are you on a WP or PR? If you are on a WP you only qualify once you start your job and if you will be working full-time for over 6 months. A job offer is not enough. You need a letter from your employer confirming that you will be working full-time in Ontario for over 6 months. As long as the 3 month wait time has not returned you can use your OHIP once you receive it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Work Permit

If you are on a WP you only qualify once you start your job and if you will be working full-time for over 6 months. A job offer is not enough. You need a letter from your employer confirming that you will be working full-time in Ontario for over 6 months. As long as the 3 month wait time has not returned you can use your OHIP once you receive it. You also must be planning on meeting the residency requirements to qualify for OHIP which is being in Ontario for the next 5 out of 6 months and 6 out of the next 12 months plus be making Ontario your permanent home.

rafim1

Nov 10, 2023
Hello, what was the final decision on your OHIP status? Did you get it? Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, what was the final decision on your OHIP status? Did you get it? Thanks
Believe they should have received OHIP because they were working for an employer located in Canada since payroll is being done through Ontario. Assume their employer was able to also provide a letter that they are working full-time and their employment will last over 6 months. If they didn’t receive OHIP they would qualify to be added to their spouse’s UHIP policy as the spouse of an international student.