+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario OHIP eligability: Open Work Permit Employment Letter Guidelines

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, i have a question please. i hold a pgqw that will expire on august 2020 and so my OHIP card, i am thinking of changing my job as i have some problems. do i need to change my healthcard as well or can i continue to using it until the expiry date ?Thank s a lot
You’ve asked the question numerous times. This is only applicable to your first job to qualify for OHIP. You get to keep OHIP until the end of your work permit after that.

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
You’ve asked the question numerous times. This is only applicable to your first job to qualify for OHIP. You get to keep OHIP until the end of your work permit after that.
no i just asked the question as the same time in 2 differents places..and thank u for ur reply ! really appreciate it

ange1o

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
Hi,

Does anyone know which ServiceOntario in Toronto I can go to apply for OHIP? Is there open on the weekends or weekdays after 5pm?

I have an Open-work permit. I work M-F, 9am to 5pm.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

mm78

Star Member
Aug 18, 2019
Please help. My post graduate work permit was approved in Sep 2019 and I started working in July 2019. I was told in Service Ontario that my coverage will start in December (3 months after my work permit was approved, not 3 months after the start of my Job). Is this correct or I need to ask them to re-asses my eligibility start date?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please help. My post graduate work permit was approved in Sep 2019 and I started working in July 2019. I was told in Service Ontario that my coverage will start in December (3 months after my work permit was approved, not 3 months after the start of my Job). Is this correct or I need to ask them to re-asses my eligibility start date?
Correct.

Reactions: reezam

dshikha22

May 14, 2019
Just wanted to add my 2 cents for those who are/will be on PGWP, are in Ontario, and need OHIP.

You don't get OHIP unless you have a job in Ontario.
Once you have one you can immediately apply for OHIP but the card would only arrive after 90 days you have been in that job.
You can change any number of jobs, there is no issue (you can be jobless after you get ohip).

How to apply for OHIP on PGWP:

1. Need Work Permit
2. Passport
3. Address proof of Ontario, example driving licence.
4. Employment letter - This needs to be hand-signed letter stating your occupation, job location, start date and end dates (if any). Clearly stating that job is at least for 6 months, or ends at work permit expiry or simply that there is no end date and that its permanent etc.

The difficult part is that you can ONLY GOTO FULL SERVICEONTARIO CENTRES". These are the ones that work Mon-Fri 9-5 only. Those others that are open on Thursday till late and also on weekends don't entertain for PGWP getting OHIP, don't waste your time going there.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: astraldust

Deep8031

Dec 22, 2019
I have one query regarding ohip. It would be great help if anyone can give suggestion.

I am on swop and working full time since Nov 2019.

1. To get ohip i have to wait until my six month finished on job or
Is it enough that letter showing i will work for more then six months.

2. What is validity of my ohip if my work permit is going to expire July 2020?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have one query regarding ohip. It would be great help if anyone can give suggestion.

I am on swop and working full time since Nov 2019.

1. To get ohip i have to wait until my six month finished on job or
Is it enough that letter showing i will work for more then six months.

2. What is validity of my ohip if my work permit is going to expire July 2020?
You only needed to show that you had a full-time job lasting at least 6 months. Are you currently working? OHIP will expires with you WP.

Deep8031

Dec 22, 2019
You only needed to show that you had a full-time job lasting at least 6 months. Are you currently working? OHIP will expires with you WP.
Yes, i am working.
If I apply now should they approve my ohip as my work permit is valid till 31st July.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, i am working.
If I apply now should they approve my ohip as my work permit is valid till 31st July.
Not sure if your Ohip will be granted. You have to prove that you will be working for over 6 months full-time which it seems like you may have already done but won’t be able to do before your WP expires. You need a letter from your employer stating you will work over 6 months. Would certainly try based on your work history from November if you have been working full-time for your employer since then.

Deep8031

Dec 22, 2019
Not sure if your Ohip will be granted. You have to prove that you will be working for over 6 months full-time which it seems like you may have already done but won’t be able to do before your WP expires. You need a letter from your employer stating you will work over 6 months. Would certainly try based on your work history from November if you have been working full-time for your employer since then.
Yes, i am working full time since November and i have asked for experience letter also that mentioned every thing

HilBoston

May 30, 2020
I have an online business selling arts and crafts. I'm also curious how the employment letter would work for self employment.
I would like to know the answer to this question too if your were advise how the letter would look like and work for self employed persons. TIA