+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario OHIP eligability: Open Work Permit Employment Letter Guidelines

HilBoston

May 30, 2020
I have a TRP (inadmissible) with duel intent to apply for PR when I qualify and hold an OWP. My background is in the trades and being self-employed is ideal for my family situation. I recently found out I could apply for OHIP; however, I need some guidance on the employment letter having to be on letterhead. What would satisfy Service Ontario as proof of employment for those who are sole proprietors? Would a Master Business Licence be sufficient? Please any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a TRP (inadmissible) with duel intent to apply for PR when I qualify and hold an OWP. My background is in the trades and being self-employed is ideal for my family situation. I recently found out I could apply for OHIP; however, I need some guidance on the employment letter having to be on letterhead. What would satisfy Service Ontario as proof of employment for those who are sole proprietors? Would a Master Business Licence be sufficient? Please any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA
How do you have thr OWP? When did you arrive in Canada? Did you ever work for anyone else? When did you eslmtablidh your business?

HilBoston

May 30, 2020
How do you have thr OWP? When did you arrive in Canada? Did you ever work for anyone else? When did you eslmtablidh your business?
I became eligible to apply for a open work permit because my TRP was issued for longer than 6 months. I arrived in Canada December 2016 and on an extended TRP. Only employment is one sub contract who paid me gross amount and I’m responsible for paying all the income taxes and CPP when I file my CRA return. I become self-employed July 2019 until now and secured domains November 2019 to promote business.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I became eligible to apply for a open work permit because my TRP was issued for longer than 6 months. I arrived in Canada December 2016 and on an extended TRP. Only employment is one sub contract who paid me gross amount and I’m responsible for paying all the income taxes and CPP when I file my CRA return. I become self-employed July 2019 until now and secured domains November 2019 to promote business.
Do you have a spouse/partner in Canada who is studying or working? Are you on PGWP? IEC? How did you qualify for a work permit?

HilBoston

May 30, 2020
Do you have a spouse/partner in Canada who is studying or working? Are you on PGWP? IEC? How did you qualify for a work permit?
Yes, I have a spouse and 2 young kids, all born Canadian Citizens and permanent resident of Ontario. I’m the only one in the family that does not have PR status. My lawyer applied for the work permit after my TRP was approved for longer than 6months. Not on any PGWP or IEC. How do I over come the letterhead letter to proof to Service Ontario I’m self employed? What can I give as proof I’m working full time for myself? Please and Thank you!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I have a spouse and 2 young kids, all born Canadian Citizens and permanent resident of Ontario. I’m the only one in the family that does not have PR status. My lawyer applied for the work permit after my TRP was approved for longer than 6months. Not on any PGWP or IEC. How do I over come the letterhead letter to proof to Service Ontario I’m self employed? What can I give as proof I’m working full time for myself? Please and Thank you!
TRP just allows you to enter Canada. ut has nothing to do with getting a work permit. It seems like you have been in Canada for many years how did you qualify for a work permit. Most spouses of Canadians get OWP when applying for inland sponsorship but it doesn't sound you qualify for inland sponsorship if you needed a TRP. When did you get the WP and when does it expire.

HilBoston

May 30, 2020
TRP just allows you to enter Canada. ut has nothing to do with getting a work permit. It seems like you have been in Canada for many years how did you qualify for a work permit. Most spouses of Canadians get OWP when applying for inland sponsorship but it doesn't sound you qualify for inland sponsorship if you needed a TRP. When did you get the WP and when does it expire.
A work permit to a TRP holder if the TRP is valid for at least six months under subsection 199(d) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations; my TRP is good for 2 year and my work permit expires the same date as my TRP. Are you able to advise about the self employment letter? Much appreciated!

HilBoston

May 30, 2020
You still haven't explained how you are entitled to an OWP.
I don’t know how to explain it other than what I have told you and what I’ve been told. My immigration lawyers advised me I would be eligible to apply for a work permit if my TRP was good for longer than 6 months. So when the TRP was issued for 2 years we applied for the work permit. I was in Canada when the TRP and work permit were issued. I did not get the work permit at the same time as the TRP. I can only advise what I know. Does it have anything to do with me having a wife and kids in canada? Does it have anything to with being approved for PR and I did not land? I really don’t know how I was entitled other than knowing I had a TRP issued for longer than 6months. Any other reasons for being eligible or entitled bets me. I appreciate your time and guess you are unable to advise on my original question about self employment letter to satisfy OHIP requirements. TIA

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don’t know how to explain it other than what I have told you and what I’ve been told. My immigration lawyers advised me I would be eligible to apply for a work permit if my TRP was good for longer than 6 months. So when the TRP was issued for 2 years we applied for the work permit. I was in Canada when the TRP and work permit were issued. I did not get the work permit at the same time as the TRP. I can only advise what I know. Does it have anything to do with me having a wife and kids in canada? Does it have anything to with being approved for PR and I did not land? I really don’t know how I was entitled other than knowing I had a TRP issued for longer than 6months. Any other reasons for being eligible or entitled bets me. I appreciate your time and guess you are unable to advise on my original question about self employment letter to satisfy OHIP requirements. TIA
It is impossible to advise you if you don’t even know what kind of visa you have. TRP allows you to enter a country because you were otherwise inadmissible. TRP does not lead to a WP. OWP only only available in very narrow circumstances. How do you not know what kind of visa you have? How did you know you could be self-employed? Is you wife Candian? Did she apply to sponsor you? Do you qualify to be sponsored given that you were inadmissible? You must have paperwork from your lawyer or your wife must know what is going on.

HilBoston

May 30, 2020
It is impossible to advise you if you don’t even know what kind of visa you have. TRP allows you to enter a country because you were otherwise inadmissible. TRP does not lead to a WP. OWP only only available in very narrow circumstances. How do you not know what kind of visa you have? How did you know you could be self-employed? Is you wife Candian? Did she apply to sponsor you? Do you qualify to be sponsored given that you were inadmissible? You must have paperwork from your lawyer or your wife must know what is going on.
I cannot advise you what type of visa I hold because I don’t have a visa. I’m American and hold a USA passport and do not think I need a visa to enter Canada. Yes, my wife and children are born Canadian citizens as I answered your previous questions. When I got my work permit I went and got a SIN. Holding a valid work permit and SIN am I not eligible to be self employed and pay taxes? I’ve been filing taxes Canadian taxes since 2016 and my accountant has not mentioned I’m not eligible to work or earn self employed income.

Yes, I did have an Outland spousal sponsorship as mention in the previous reply and I did not complete the landing process. Unfortunately, I did not have my passports to land. Now I’m considered inadmissible and must wait to reapply for inland sponsorship. For now I hold a TRP to be remain Canada.

Yes, my situation may fit into one other narrow circumstances you are mentioning.

I’m reaching out to this forum as I recently found out I potential can be eligible for OHIP. I’m asking about the letter to provide Service Ontario as I’m self-employed. Do you know the answer? TIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I cannot advise you what type of visa I hold because I don’t have a visa. I’m American and hold a USA passport and do not think I need a visa to enter Canada. Yes, my wife and children are born Canadian citizens as I answered your previous questions. When I got my work permit I went and got a SIN. Holding a valid work permit and SIN am I not eligible to be self employed and pay taxes? I’ve been filing taxes Canadian taxes since 2016 and my accountant has not mentioned I’m not eligible to work or earn self employed income.

Yes, I did have an Outland spousal sponsorship as mention in the previous reply and I did not complete the landing process. Unfortunately, I did not have my passports to land. Now I’m considered inadmissible and must wait to reapply for inland sponsorship. For now I hold a TRP to be remain Canada.

Yes, my situation may fit into one other narrow circumstances you are mentioning.

I’m reaching out to this forum as I recently found out I potential can be eligible for OHIP. I’m asking about the letter to provide Service Ontario as I’m self-employed. Do you know the answer? TIA
I still don’t understand how you have a work permit? You just don’t get given a work permit especially an OWP. You don’t qualify for a work permit as an outland sponsorship applicant. How did you qualify for a work permit? How RO you not have a passport yet you were given TRP?

In order to answer your question we must figure out how you qualify for a work permit? Whqt kind of work permit you have and when it expires. Have you renewed your WP since 2016. WP are usually given in smaller increments like 1-3 years.

Jul 12, 2020
Hello Guys,

Hope you are safe!
Not sure if I will still get a reply but posting my current situation here.
So, I graduated from an Ontario university this year and applied for PGWP in April and that is still in implied status. I have been living in Ontario since the past 1.5 years. I got. job at an MNC in Montreal (but they have just one office in Canada, which is in Montreal), but at present I cannot move to Montreal because of COVID and would continue to work from Ontario till the near future. I need to apply for OHIP as I am living in Otario only, my employer is providing me with a letter stating that I will be working temporarily from home in Ontario and will have my Ontario address mentioned on the letter, just want to know will there be an issue in me getting OHIP in this case ? As I can only provide my Work permit application acknowledgement which we receive on the IRCC portal? I also have received an ITA and shall be submitting my documents for PR soon, so can provide that document as well... Any responses in this case shall be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Deep8031

Dec 22, 2019
Hello Guys,

Hope you are safe!
Not sure if I will still get a reply but posting my current situation here.
So, I graduated from an Ontario university this year and applied for PGWP in April and that is still in implied status. I have been living in Ontario since the past 1.5 years. I got. job at an MNC in Montreal (but they have just one office in Canada, which is in Montreal), but at present I cannot move to Montreal because of COVID and would continue to work from Ontario till the near future. I need to apply for OHIP as I am living in Otario only, my employer is providing me with a letter stating that I will be working temporarily from home in Ontario and will have my Ontario address mentioned on the letter, just want to know will there be an issue in me getting OHIP in this case ? As I can only provide my Work permit application acknowledgement which we receive on the IRCC portal? I also have received an ITA and shall be submitting my documents for PR soon, so can provide that document as well... Any responses in this case shall be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
You have to call to service Ontario as you don’t have work permit so, i am not sure as validity of health card decided from work permit length.